4G Speed Tests

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Can we see a full screen screen shot on your iPad?
Those speeds are ridiculous ! In a good way of course.

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
That was from my iPad. Speed test doesn't have an iPad version yet. But here's the same pic with a link instead of an attachment.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
That was from my iPad. Speed test doesn't have an iPad version yet. But here's the same pic with a link instead of an attachment.
For some reason mine shows up as 4G and im getting less than 1MB down and Up. I am also on AT&T. How did you get it to say LTE and not 4G?

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
For some reason mine shows up as 4G and im getting less than 1MB down and Up. I am also on AT&T. How did you get it to say LTE and not 4G?
I'm not really sure. You might have to check what coverage is in your area.

When I first powered it up, it just said 4G. Then I got on Wifi. Then I went through the process of activating an AT&T LTE service. Once that was activated, it switched over to LTE.

The 4G that popped up was probably just the HSPA+ that iOS 5.1 now recognizes as "4G"

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I have yet to get mine to say LTE, just 4G. If there is anything i am disappointed in, it's my very slow speeds with AT&T even though their service map touts almost perfect LTE coverage where I live (south jersey). What's going on here? Is this a bad case of ST&T false advertising. How can I be the only one? I cannot find similar cases to mine online.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Just realized I should have posted this here.

In my case, I came from the iPad 2 Wifi Only. I had the AT&T Tethering plan with my iPhone 4S though which was $45/m for 4GB of data + Tethering. With the new iPad, i decided to get the 4G LTE AT&T Version and so i dropped the iPhone plan down to 3GB for $30/m. Im starting with 250MB pe r month for $15. So all in all the dollar value stays the same, but i lose 750MB of data. All that being said, here is what I am REALLY upset about.

After taking a deeper dive into my speeds, I realized my new iPad will only show 4G, not LTE when not connected to WIFI around my area (I've taken it around town). After some research, I realized AT&T distinguishes 4G and 4G LTE as two separate things. This means, even though their map shows my entire area in 4G (what I justifiably interpreted at first as LTE), my iPad on AT&T network will only ever get their "4G" speeds. In my case, this is about 3MB down, and 2MB Up. Not the 5-25MBps Down promised by LTE, and no where near the 1GBps standard 4G was supposed to be.... My speed tests below on Wifi vs AT&T "4G" Needless to say, i may be exersising buyers remorse and grabbing a Verizon Model..

Sent from my iPad 2 using iCafe app

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
Like I said, the "4G" you're getting is probably just HSPA+ that iOS 5.1 now calls 4G. The iPhone 4S is not a 4G LTE device but now shows the "4G" symbol when in the HSPA+ or dual HSPA areas. This is probably what you have in your area instead of LTE.

I really haven't decided how long I'm going to keep this LTE plan. I have unlimited on my iPhone and will probably just figure out a way to deal with tethering and wifi. LTE speeds are awesome, though.