4G vs. 8G

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

thnkpnk27

Jul 15, 2007
I am debating which model to get, and I'm wondering if the extra $100 is worth what I will be using the phone for. I already own a 4G iPod Nano, so I won't need much room for music on the iPhone, perhaps just a small playlist of maybe 50 songs. However, I would really like to use the iPhone to hold movies, and I'm not sure how many full-length movies I can get out of a 4G iPhone. Any input would be greatly appreciated! :laugh2:

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
I am debating which model to get, and I'm wondering if the extra $100 is worth what I will be using the phone for. I already own a 4G iPod Nano, so I won't need much room for music on the iPhone, perhaps just a small playlist of maybe 50 songs. However, I would really like to use the iPhone to hold movies, and I'm not sure how many full-length movies I can get out of a 4G iPhone. Any input would be greatly appreciated! :laugh2:
If you want to hold movies I recommend the 8gb, The 4 gb is already only 3.2gb (around that) out of the box, so your not left with much. You can still fit a couple of movies in the 4 gb around 4 to 6 but for 100 dollars more the 8gb is much more worth it.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
i concur the 8gig is much more practical and feesable, think about it

499 for the 4gig
599 for the 8gig

100 bucks gets you DOUBLE the capacity and like wjp09 said youll never regret TOO much space but you will if you find out you don't have enough space especially if you want to watch movies on it...

Britna

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I had the same problem... I didn't know which one I wanted...

but I went with the 8 and I'm NOT regretting it at all!

Go with the 8. =]

Jeremiah

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Maryland
Go with the 8, Its 100 bucks for double the memory, and one average video is around 700-800mb, so you want to have enough room for them, and a pictures.

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
i concur the 8gig is much more practical and feesable, think about it

499 for the 4gig
599 for the 8gig

100 bucks gets you DOUBLE the capacity and like wjp09 said youll never regret TOO much space but you will if you find out you don't have enough space especially if you want to watch movies on it...
I agree with the others and if you think about it, you actually get more than double the space since the OS eats up like 700mb.

Plus remember in addition to music and movies, you'll want to have the extra space for pictures and email attachments.

cdoyle

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
for sure go with the 8, i bought the 4 at first and i had it filled up so fast, that i was having to sacrifice music for movies or vice versa. Then i exchanged the 4 for the 8 and now i can have the best of both worlds and im soo happy.

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
unless you like syncing it up with iTunes on a regular basis the choice is simple, 8GB all the way. they shouldn't of even bothered making a 4GB and just made the 8GB and charged us $500

Wishbone

Jun 18, 2007
Actually you get more than twice the space of a 4 gig:

4 gig = about 3.3 gigs actual storage
8 gig = about 7.3 gigs actual storage

FWIW, assuming you can afford it, I echo the previous comments on getting the 8, no question about it.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
100 bucks gets you DOUBLE the capacity
That's irrelevant and a bad decision, economically speaking, if you never intend to use the extra space. I don't care if the extra 100 dollars gets you 30G, if you don't need more than 4G it's a waste of money.

I have no idea why anyone would store a ton of pictures on something with a 3.5" screen that only takes 2mp pictures. I don't ever plan to have more than a few hundred songs on mine, and any pictures I take I would put on my computer. Storing them on the phone is a waste of space-as well as movies. Who the hell wants to watch a movie on a 3.5" screen?

eric1952

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
4g vs 8g

definitely the 8 if you want to put movies on it.
the average movie takes about 600 mbs,so you should get at least 3 movies not leaving much space for any thing else on a 4 gb.

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
definitely the 8 if you want to put movies on it.
the average movie takes about 600 mbs,so you should get at least 3 movies not leaving much space for any thing else on a 4 gb.

Where are you guys getting these full length movies at 600 mbs. The ones i dl from iTunes have all been like at least 1gb. Oh to the original poster. I had a 4 at first put 2 movies some pics and about 200 songs and started running out of room and got the 8 and now running out of room on it...lol:laugh2:

stiphone

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
I would suggest the 8gb iPhone. More is better than less. Just remember that you don't have an option to increase if you find that you'
re running out of space in the 4gb version. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jul 15, 2007
www.submissiveophelia.com
Well Itune syncing is not too long of a process and considering your going to spend an extra 45 bucks on a video/dvd converter anyhows the 8 gig now runs you 645 + tax. I went with the 4 and im happy, I can fit 3 movies and a few clips on it as well as 100 songs. And when I watch teh movies ill just switch them with iTunes it only takes 15 minutes or so. It takes much longer to convert the movies in the first place. I say save your money. cause most people charge it so when you factor in the interest rates its well over 100 dollars more.