4G with iOS 5.1

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
You can always download 4G from cydia and believe what you want and not upgrade. I prefer the number 3 if I have to be honest.

Reactions: IceCold357

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Well they are. They didn't call 2G 3G. 3G is 3G. They are trying rot rush the market to make things look better.

So if they were always 4G speeds why didn't they call it 4G in the first place?
That is not true. Like I said, you need to research the criteria for 4G. There is a big difference between it and the criteria for the older networks. Only the 4S is capable of 4G speeds. The older models lacked the hardware to get those speeds. They could only get 3G speeds so obviously they couldn't call it 4G.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Can you disable 3-4G now and get back to edge like before?
I heard that the option reappeared on the 5.1 beta for the 4S so I'm assuming so. I can't verify that it made it to the final version since I'm still on 5.0.1.

Camitampa

Bronze
Apr 1, 2009
Tampa Fl
It doesn't matter what I think or anyone else for that matter. The industry allows HSPA + to be called 4g. They don't call it LTE and don't claim it to be LTE. Half the 4g Android phones out there are HSPA + phones. My 4s has been noticeably faster than my 4 since the day I bought it and I'm very happy with it and I don't mind seeing 4g instead of 3G.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe app

Reactions: styfle and Europa

Afkamp

Bronze
Aug 31, 2010
Well I get 5-6Mb down/ 1 Mb up on my 3G/4G iPhone 4s. So I'm satisfied.

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
The fastest speed I ever got on my 4s was 3.5mbps down and less then 1up same with my gf iPhone 4s now I updated mine to 5.1 and did a speedtest and got 5.1mpbs down and over 1 up surprised

Michmeister

Bronze
Nov 14, 2011
Jaydoc is right the 4s is NOT a 4g phone now you people are brainwashed.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Michmeister

Bronze
Nov 14, 2011
You claimed that their intentions were to confuse people. The reality is that the speeds qualify as 4G so they can call it 4G.
Europa it is not 4g get a droid if you want 4g

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio

You guys miss the point. According to the FCC, any carrier providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed can be called 4G, whether you guys approve or not. In a nutshell, 3G means third generation, so anything substantially better can be called fourth generation, or 4G, the 'G' standing for 'Generation'. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just stating what seems to be fact. IloveiPhones, you can be as stubborn about this as you like. The FCC is king in network domain.

Reactions: RoofMonkey

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
It doesn't matter what I think or anyone else for that matter. The industry allows HSPA + to be called 4g. They don't call it LTE and don't claim it to be LTE. Half the 4g Android phones out there are HSPA + phones. My 4s has been noticeably faster than my 4 since the day I bought it and I'm very happy with it and I don't mind seeing 4g instead of 3G.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe app
So I spoke to AT&T and this is what I was told. All phones capable of running on their HSPA+ network can be labeled "4G" as the speed of this network is "3.5G+" and qualifies to be labeled 4G. All phones that also have LTE capabilities will be labeled "4G LTE" when connected to LTE.

I have verified this on my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket. Its says 4G and 4G LTE (which by the is very fast).

The reason the 4S did not come out of the box saying 4G is that Apple did not turn on the HSPA+ radio in the 4S until this update. Until 5.1 the iPhone 4S was running on the 3G only spectrum, now it will run on the HSPA+ spectrum, so users should see faster speeds when the phone reads 4G. I ran a speed test on my iPhone 4S when after I upgraded to 5.1 and it indeed was faster then before. That being said, AT&T's LTE network is awesome and I routinely hit 19-24Mbps on my galaxy.

~S

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
So I spoke to AT&T and this is what I was told. All phones capable of running on their HSPA+ network can be labeled "4G" as the speed of this network is "3.5G+" and qualifies to be labeled 4G. All phones that also have LTE capabilities will be labeled "4G LTE" when connected to LTE.

I have verified this on my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket. Its says 4G and 4G LTE (which by the is very fast).

The reason the 4S did not come out of the box saying 4G is that Apple did not turn on the HSPA+ radio in the 4S until this update. Until 5.1 the iPhone 4S was running on the 3G only spectrum, now it will run on the HSPA+ spectrum, so users should see faster speeds when the phone reads 4G. I ran a speed test on my iPhone 4S when after I upgraded to 5.1 and it indeed was faster then before. That being said, AT&T's LTE network is awesome and I routinely hit 19-24Mbps on my galaxy.

~S
There you go. Explained. Owned by diverdown. Another clear head in all the confusion and my ambien high.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
We aren't brainwashed. We know it's not a 4G/LTE phone.
Europa it is not 4g get a droid if you want 4g
No thanks. I have no interest in an Android phone. These articles explain why they are able to call it 4G:
http://m.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/01/4g-verizon-att-tmobile/all/1

http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/2g-3g-4g-and-everything-in-between-an-engadget-wireless-prim/&category=classic&postPage=1

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I can say my 4S has never been
As fast as it is now check about a week ago was getting 2-2.5 Mbps today it's over double that. And I wasn't getting anywhere near as good of upload
ImageUploadedByiCafe1331229557.421940.jpg

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I've been reading everywhere around the forum that the new update brought faster speeds, that Apple triggered something in order to make it fast etc...well, I can guarantee you all that I've never gotten these kind of speed at work, highest I got was 4.25 download and 1 upload. This is today, obviously I haven't upgraded my phone since I'm jailbroken and I'm not giving it up.

Attachments