4G with iOS 5.1

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've been reading everywhere around the forum that the new update brought faster speeds, that Apple triggered something in order to make it fast etc...well, I can guarantee you all that I've never gotten these kind of speed at work, highest I got was 4.25 download and 1 upload. This is today, obviously I haven't upgraded my phone since I'm jailbroken and I'm not giving it up.
I just did a speedtest on 3G (I'm still on 5.0.1 as well) and it's twice as fast as I was getting before.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
It's not just here, other forums as well. So now unless I missed something I don't think that this was an Apple thing but AT&T, otherwise I shouldn't have gotten over 7 Mbps download today while every other day I was lucky to get 4. You can see my speed test from yesterday, exactly the same spot.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It looks like my speed has actually dropped with 5.1. Miami, FL here. Here are some results from 1/1/12 and some from today. Note that the one from today has a Wi-Fi entry which is obviously faster.

I'm hoping these slower speeds are just a fluke.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

Attachments

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's just HSPA+ not the real 4G
Yeah, we know that. I've posted links explaining why they can call it 4G. Not sure why people are assuming we think we have 4G phones.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
Nobody is getting a faster connection. The ONLY thing this update did as far as 4G was to display the icon for a 4G connection. You've always had the exact same connection. It's just reflected now by a shiny new icon on the screen.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Uh? Did you see my screenshot? 4 Mbps was the highest I've ever gotten ever, and I've owned every iPhone, how come now, including the ones that didn't update, get almost double the speed? Magic? Coincidence?
Unless someone moved my building last night, AT&T updated something, not Apple.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Maybe the solar storm had a reverse effect and instead of hindering cell phones it helped it out ;)

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Hoed huh. :)

Maybe Benni is getting an indication of the impending doom of the world ending.
with faster data? let's all burn in hell then, we all gonna die some day anyway, life is a terminal illness, so I'll die happy :D Nobody is gonna miss us don't worry.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
This is mine. No idea if it's good or not. I haven't updated yet.
ImageUploadedByiCafe1331265667.405288.jpg

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
so should the "New iPad" in coverage area show then 4g LTE and not 4g ?
I surely hope so. Let's hope whoever at Apple has the final say on this has functioning neurons. Maybe a 5.1.1 incremental update will address this if the distinction wasn't already coded into 5.1.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Wow, Mac. You need to do some research on 4G/LTE before making outrageous claims like this. In a nutshell, you can get 4G speeds on a 4S and that's all it takes to qualify as 4G so they can call it 4G. They aren't trying to confuse people.
They sure do seem to be trying! :)

I think if we were to walk around 5 big cities and ask 20 random iPhone owners in each of them what the scoop on 4G/LTE (including this new "4G" indicator on our iPhones) is, a significant portion would not be able to give us a solid, accurate answer. There are many educated folks out there whose area of expertise is not necessarily smartphones.

If the -average person- has to "go do research," to understand all of this, it means someone out there is trying to confuse/mislead the -average person-. A lot of us here on this site actually enjoy doing the research and putting iOS, data transfer speeds, and the providers' fine print under a microscope, but that doesn't mean the general population has the same inclination.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
So I spoke to AT&T and this is what I was told. All phones capable of running on their HSPA+ network can be labeled "4G" as the speed of this network is "3.5G+" and qualifies to be labeled 4G. All phones that also have LTE capabilities will be labeled "4G LTE" when connected to LTE.

I have verified this on my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket. Its says 4G and 4G LTE (which by the is very fast).

The reason the 4S did not come out of the box saying 4G is that Apple did not turn on the HSPA+ radio in the 4S until this update. Until 5.1 the iPhone 4S was running on the 3G only spectrum, now it will run on the HSPA+ spectrum, so users should see faster speeds when the phone reads 4G. I ran a speed test on my iPhone 4S when after I upgraded to 5.1 and it indeed was faster then before. That being said, AT&T's LTE network is awesome and I routinely hit 19-24Mbps on my galaxy.

~S
That makes sense but I thought the 4S released with HSPA+ turned on. Did you 4S owners know that it was not enabled until now?

James1970

Sep 27, 2010
Canada
communicationspro.ca
My '4G' speed still sucks. How is my upload faster than my download speed?

View attachment 22316
That is because AT&T is outsmarting you guys. I am on Rogers in Ottawa, Canada and during dead hours I can get 13mbps on my iPhone 4s and upload of 5mbps. However these are approximate numbers and may vary quite considerably. All the above speeds are not 4G either just 3G+.

So seeing your figures surprise me when it is claimed to be 4G.

James

---
I am here: Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

irainbow_chic

Bronze
Oct 5, 2011
Ugh. I can't get the camera to work from my lock screen. It does a little bounce and that's it. I thought it could be my pass code, so I disabled and still nothing.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe app