4GB iPhone - shortest-lived Apple product ever?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
Has there ever been an Apple product released to the public with a shorter lifespan than the 4GB iPhone? We're talking less than 90 days from introduction to extinction. I bought an 8GB, so it doesn't really concern me directly, but the way Apple has handled this situation - the price drop, the cancellation of the 4GB - makes me wonder if they really knew what they were getting into when they launched the iPhone.

Personally, I can't understand why anyone would have gone cheapo and paid only $100 less for half the data capacity, but I don't know that they should have expected their device to be extinct so quickly.

itsrainingkids

Bronze
Aug 4, 2007
Bay Area California
Boy do I feel silly!

Proudly purchased 4 G on July 28. Tried to hold out because I knew the prices would come down. Never anticipated this particular situation. Price cut on 8G not nearly as irritating as obsolescence.
Thanks for letting me vent,
Colleen
BTW I still love my iPhone and now my son can afford one!:)

gijoe

Aug 12, 2007
Still a fully usable and repairable product with a smaller memory chip, hardly obsolete, just not in production anymore. I'll enjoy my refurbished one a little more tomorrow when I call and get $200 knocked off the price. 200 bucks for an iPhone is a pretty sweet deal, I'll just buy another one if memory becomes an issue.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
Still a fully usable and repairable product with a smaller memory chip, hardly obsolete, just not in production anymore. I'll enjoy my refurbished one a little more tomorrow when I call and get $200 knocked off the price. 200 bucks for an iPhone is a pretty sweet deal, I'll just buy another one if memory becomes an issue.
Are credits/refunds being issued for people who bought refurbs, too? I hadn't heard one way or the other.

iPhone69

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
South Florida
I sure hope so exactly 2 months ago i purchased mine, the 5th, which i guess was technically yesterday but still. 200 dollars can go a long way for a 17 year old. Is it going to happen... Highly doubt it.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
The 4 gig model was perfectly placed there to catch people who thought $600 was simply too much to pay for a phone but still wanted one enough to pay $500. Forget about market need or a target user (otherwise it wouldn't get cancelled in months), it was aimed at a target prey. Absolutely pathatic.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
The 4 gig model was perfectly placed there to catch people who thought $600 was simply too much to pay for a phone but still wanted one enough to pay $500. Forget about market need or a target user (otherwise it wouldn't get cancelled in months), it was aimed at a target prey. Absolutely pathatic.

It was the model I think that was best targeted for the new mac customer. And those new mac customers rely on hearing positive things about the iPhone. They didn't hear it, so they didn't buy it. Dumb Executives.

gijoe

Aug 12, 2007
Are credits/refunds being issued for people who bought refurbs, too? I hadn't heard one way or the other.
I have till September 11 to return mine, so they have to refund me or I will just eat the restocking fee and rebuy an 8gb for $350.

BTW, I bought the 4gb because I have less than a 1gb of music so I am not a heavy music listener. I needed a new phone, and love the idea of having the internet in my pocket wherever I go.

dc2bar

Sep 5, 2007
yes.

I originally bought my refurb 4g for 416, and today i called in and got an additional $200 refund. Why did I get a 4 gig? hell, for $216 it's a steal, and on top of that, I am anticipating an iPhone v2, with proper 3g support within the next year or so.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Not sure, anyone remember how long the Newton was out for? I don't know if it was out for this short a time frame, but memory seems to tell me it was gone in the blink of an eye. Memories fail of course.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Steve is gonna make lot of money now as he is goin to sell tons of iPhones now. However, he has just put his hand in a ball of fire and I promise myself that never will i ever buy an Apple product on the launch day. I'm gonna wait atleast 6 months. Everyone in my office is laughing their a** off because i spent $200 extra for the piece.

mernst

Silver
Jul 11, 2007
Gulfport, Ms
Proudly purchased 4 G on July 28. Tried to hold out because I knew the prices would come down. Never anticipated this particular situation. Price cut on 8G not nearly as irritating as obsolescence.
Thanks for letting me vent,
Colleen
BTW I still love my iPhone and now my son can afford one!:)
at least we might see more iPhones out there...

Rokomis

Sep 5, 2007
I just purchased a 4gb iPhone yesterday. The price drop made the price to damn attractive, 299 is a steal. I don't need more than 2 GB for music anyways, I like to pick and choose particular albums.

Rokomis

Sep 5, 2007
That is a very good question, if it is in need of replacing my guess they would just replace it with a 8GB or whatever is the bottom rung equivalent at the time. Kinda like what costco does.