• 8 gig for me

Votes: 40 87.0%
  • 4 gigs is more than enough

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
if i'm going to pay $500 whats an extra $100?
If their are only 4GB available, then I will get one of those.
I'm with both of you. If I'm dropping $500, I might as well drop another $100 to double the storage. It's a no-brainer. But if 8G were sold out, I'd probably get a 4G because I have to have one. :laugh2:

ProductProFresno

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Cool! Were you already working with At&t/Cingular or are you a newly hired associate?
New. Though I've wanted to work for AT&T for about three years. Some of my Fraternity Brothers were sales reps and loved it. This has been my first real opportunity that was feasible, though. I actually just received info about it, forms i have to fill out. Going to the repair shop to pick up my macbook pro and fill them out!
Did you apply for the position, or find out about it some other way?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
New. Though I've wanted to work for AT&T for about three years. Some of my Fraternity Brothers were sales reps and loved it. This has been my first real opportunity that was feasible, though. I actually just received info about it, forms i have to fill out. Going to the repair shop to pick up my macbook pro and fill them out!
Did you apply for the position, or find out about it some other way?
No I didn't apply (although I'm thinking about it on a part-time basis). I heard about it from Cingular/At&t reps posting in this forum. I worked with Cingular one summer while I was finishing my teaching degree back in '02. It is a fun place to work and a very exciting industry to work in.

Good luck and keep us informed.

kewl!o

Bronze
May 28, 2007
Apex, NC
thethirdrail.wordpress.com
Availability according to AT&T and Apple Store

Hey guys, I'm a long time reader, first time poster. Just recently the rumor is 3 million iPhones at launch. What no one has said yet is how many of each model will there be? Do you think more people will buy the 4 gig or spend an extra $100 for twice the memory? Do you think Apple will ship more of the 8 gig? Which one do you plan on getting?
Hi all... I called both this past week. Cingular (AT&T) told me that they would have the iPhone to sell, but more (all?) would be at their "main" locations. Interestingly, the Apple Store told me that they would be the only ones selling it, since it is an Apple product. Hmmmm...so now I have to figure out what to do - Cingular opens an hour earlier, so maybe I'll go there first. But, I'm surely going to call the day before to find out the real story (I hope).
---
As for my purchase - I'm going for the 8gb. This is more than a cell phone, in fact I'm buying it mostly for the awesome web surfing. Although I can see myself streaming a movie from Netflix's Watch Now to try it out.

Kewl!o

the PHDs

Bronze
May 21, 2007
hey all,
i am goin 4 gig because 8 gig is too much space for me.
if they do not have anymore 8 gigs,
is everyone just going to suck it up and get the 4 gig,
or wait for the 8?
i just realized,
everyone wants an 8 gig
could this be good news for me?

iWant iPhone

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
hey all,
i am goin 4 gig because 8 gig is too much space for me.
if they do not have anymore 8 gigs,
is everyone just going to suck it up and get the 4 gig,
or wait for the 8?
i just realized,
everyone wants an 8 gig
could this be good news for me?
it could be good news for you, if they have a 4 when i go and no 8's i wont buy it. i would rather wait and get more for my money then pay $500 for something when i get double the space for $100 more.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
it could be good news for you, if they have a 4 when i go and no 8's i wont buy it. i would rather wait and get more for my money then pay $500 for something when i get double the space for $100 more.
It would be a tough decision for me. Once they sell out, it might be months before they get restocked.

iWant iPhone

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
It would be a tough decision for me. Once they sell out, it might be months before they get restocked.
true, but again, i just cant do it, i would rather wait then pay less for a inferior device.

i hope i wont have any problems getting one, i plan on camping as long as it takes.

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
Definitely the 8GB version. My music alone is more than 4GB, and I think in the long run it would be much better to have the better model with extra memory. I also think that the 8GB will be a much better seller, and that the 4GB will likely eventually be discontinued due to poor sales.

I wonder if maybe they will release another reason to get the 8GB model and not the 4GB model... It seems as if $100 is too much for just more memory... Hmmm...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I went to my local AT&T store and asked a few questions to see if I could garner something new from the sales rep. I asked how many iPhones the store would expect and he said 50. That made me really really happy. He also said they would definitely get more of the 4GB than the 8GB which means I'll still have to get there extra early.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
As I've posted before....

4 GB iPHone = 20 GB PS3

It won't last long.
While I agree that the 8GB is the best option, I am not sure I agree with you on this. If the Nano is any indication, the biggest isn't always the most popular. From what I have read the 4GB Nano outsells the 8GB Nano by a large margin. Since there is only a $50 price difference, I would have thought the 8GB would be far more popular.

On the other hand, the iPhone supports video which the Nano does not. If you have any interest in video, I don't think the 4GB version is going to cut it. It will be interesting to see the sales break down in a few months.

typer922

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Just for curiosity's sake. How much space does a movie downloaded off of iTunes/converted take up? 500 mb maybe? I wonder if we will actually get all 4/8 gbs of storage? My "20 gb" xbox 360 hard drive came with about 13 gb of usable storage.

iWant iPhone

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
Just for curiosity's sake. How much space does a movie downloaded off of iTunes/converted take up? 500 mb maybe? I wonder if we will actually get all 4/8 gbs of storage? My "20 gb" xbox 360 hard drive came with about 13 gb of usable storage.
not even 500

typer922

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Actually I just looked on iTunes and a movie is right around 1 gig. So combined with music, 4 GB really isn't a whole lot. I agree with wot_fan, if you want more than a full movie and have a decent amount of music, I don't think the 4 GB is going to be enough. But who needs more than 1 movie on your phone at a time?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Actually I just looked on iTunes and a movie is right around 1 gig. So combined with music, 4 GB really isn't a whole lot. I agree with wot_fan, if you want more than a full movie and have a decent amount of music, I don't think the 4 GB is going to be enough. But who needs more than 1 movie on your phone at a time?
I hope you have an adapter for you car or some extra batteries and the means to replace them if you want to watch two movies at one sitting.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I hope you have an adapter for you car or some extra batteries and the means to replace them if you want to watch two movies at one sitting.
I think the more likely scenario is 2 movies for a trip rather than in one sitting. It would be nice to be able to watch one move on the plane ride there. Charge the iPhone over night and then watch a movie on the way home. Since I plan on syncing my iPhone to a desktop, I won't be able to change what is on the phone during the trip. IOW, the 8GB is a must IMO ;).