4GB or 8GB?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
May 18, 2007
I have pretty much made up my mind when it comes to getting the iPhone. One thing that i am debating over is if i will get the 4gb or the 8gb. With a difference of 100 dollars is it worth it to just get the 8gb? Which is the better value? :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
The 8Gb is deff the better value.

If you plan on taking your iPhone anywhere on a trip, and plan on bringing a lot of movies/music, 4 gigs just might not be enough.

I'm curious as to how many people are going to buy the 4Gb vs the 8Gb models.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
my philosophy is, if i'm going to be dropping half a grand on a cell phone, i'm not going to limit myself with the memory...what's 100 when you're already dealing with 500? plus, as much as the memory capacity is maligned, you're doubling your memory with the 8gb...not too shabby.

my paranoia just gave me another scary thought...what if the only iPhones that are available by the time i get to the counter on June, XX are 4GB phones? now that's the real dilemma.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I agree, the 8GB version is the way to go. I currently have an 8GB Nano and its great. I keep about 6GB (100 Albums) of music and 1.5GB (4-5 books) of unabridged audio books on mine. If you throw video into the equation, I think 4GB would not be quite enough space.

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
wot_fan! why did you buy a 8Gb nano, when the 30GB iPod is the same price!?!

Personally I'll be getting the 8Gb iPhone, even though it will be twice the price of my current 30Gb iPod.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
wot_fan! why did you buy a 8Gb nano, when the 30GB iPod is the same price!?!
My main concern was battery life followed by size. IMO, the 30GB's screen is too small for me to watch video on so that feature wasn't a factor. Even with all of this taken into consideration, it was a tough call.

I have owned a 3G & 4G 40GB iPod and I was concerned that I would regret not being able have my entire music collection (35GB) with me at all times. As it turns out, I listen to more of my collection with my Nano. I have smart playlists that rotate what is on my Nano based on genre and how long it has been since I have listened to it. I now find myself listening to albums that I forgot I even had :). The Nano ended up being a better choice for me.

iPhoneObsessed

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS
www.myspace.com
my philosophy is, if i'm going to be dropping half a grand on a cell phone, i'm not going to limit myself with the memory...what's 100 when you're already dealing with 500? plus, as much as the memory capacity is maligned, you're doubling your memory with the 8gb...not too shabby.

my paranoia just gave me another scary thought...what if the only iPhones that are available by the time i get to the counter on June, XX are 4GB phones? now that's the real dilemma.

OMG! If there's only 4GB models left.... ahh.. I just hyperventilated! lol.

But seriously, I don't know what I would do. Now you have me worrying! :mad:

And to answer the main question.. definitely 8 gig. Same with me, if I'm spending 500 might as well spend 600 and double the memory. :)

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
8G does seem to be a better value, but if I don't have an extra $100 then 4G would be fine. Beggars can't be choosers. :laugh2:

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
The 8Gb is deff the better value.
Especially if you do the math... pricing it per gig:

4 GB = $124.5/gig
8 GB = $74.88/gig

Double your storage? It's a no brainer...

I have smart playlists that rotate what is on my Nano based on genre and how long it has been since I have listened to it.
That's a great way of using smart playlists. 8GB is still a lot of music... I don't care who you are. I never really understood the concept of "I need to bring my whole collection with me". I guess that would also double as a backup but I think people with a lot of music tend to fumble around as well... if someone randomizes the whole iPod they're likely to get stuff they're just going to hit "next" on because they know they're bound to get something they'll like "better" on next.

May 6, 2007
United States
The 8GB is definetely the better value, and I am sure they will produce and sell more of those. You guys have put this in excellent, easily comprehensible ways, so there is not much more I can say.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
If there are any 8G iPhones left by the time I get to the front of the line I'll take one of those. Otherwise I'll be happy with whatever I can get my grubby little hands on. :)

May 6, 2007
United States
The 4GB will go the way of the 20GB PS3. I predict Apple will drop that version after a few months.
Has Sony stopped making the 20GB? I didn't hear about this.

This is not a PS3 forum, though, so I will also insert some iPhone knowledge into the post :D. Robhon, I know it's tempting at times like those, when you can't get the premium version, to get the less expensive one. However, you will later find that you wish you had waited a bit longer or looked a little harder to get the better version, the one you truly want. So, regardless of whether you were kidding or not, don't do it, people! Wait and get the 8GB :laugh2:

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Great analogy. Why buy an HD Video Game system without the HD capability. I'm in for the 8GB.
I don't know if that is comparable. The 4G should just limit how many movies (and music if you have a lot of it) you can put on the device at one time. I would think the 4G would be for folks who are not mobile movie/music junkies and just need all of the other features. This would also be in line with businessses. But this actually describes me. I have a bit of music and just a few movies and shows in iTunes. I want storage for all of the other possibilities and 4G would probably a good enough start if for some reason I couldn't get an 8G.

May 6, 2007
United States
I don't know if that is comparable. The 4G should just limit how many movies (and music if you have a lot of it) you can put on the device at one time. I would think the 4G would be for folks who are not mobile movie/music junkies and just need all of the other features. This would also be in line with businessses. But this actually describes me. I have a bit of music and just a few movies and shows in iTunes. I want storage for all of the other possibilities and 4G would probably a good enough start if for some reason I couldn't get an 8G.
I actually have 10GB of music in iTunes right now, because of the fact that it made multiple copies of some of the songs when I was messing with the iTunes music folder. When I fix that, it should be close to 4 or 5GB of music. As of now, I have no movies or TV shows because I still have a mini, but I will surely purchase some when I get the iPhone. I am still wondering if you can manually delete them from the iPhone, though, so you can rotate the movies that you have on there and thereforee save a lot of space.

iPhoneObsessed

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS
www.myspace.com
Has Sony stopped making the 20GB? I didn't hear about this.

This is not a PS3 forum, though, so I will also insert some iPhone knowledge into the post :D. Robhon, I know it's tempting at times like those, when you can't get the premium version, to get the less expensive one. However, you will later find that you wish you had waited a bit longer or looked a little harder to get the better version, the one you truly want. So, regardless of whether you were kidding or not, don't do it, people! Wait and get the 8GB :laugh2:
If the sky seems to rain on you and you can only get a 4gb, don't fret. Cingular lets you return a phone within the first 30 days, no questions asked. You can return it when the 8gb become more available (hopefully they will get a new shipment in within 30 days). :cool: