4GB or 8GB?

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I am still wondering if you can manually delete them from the iPhone, though, so you can rotate the movies that you have on there and thereforee save a lot of space.
I don't really see why this is important since you can only add new movies/TV shows when you are connected to your PC/Mac. You can thereforee remove the stuff you have watched at the same time you put new content on the iPhone. It only becomes an issue if you can download movies directly from iTunes via wifi. AFAIK, this feature will not be a part of the iPhone (at least initially).

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
If the sky seems to rain on you and you can only get a 4gb, don't fret. Cingular lets you return a phone within the first 30 days, no questions asked. You can return it when the 8gb become more available (hopefully they will get a new shipment in within 30 days). :cool:
Good point. I forgot about this. But most people, if they had a 4GB iPhone, couldn't wait for the 8GBs to become available and would just keep it anyways ;D

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
I don't really see why this is important since you can only add new movies/TV shows when you are connected to your PC/Mac. You can thereforee remove the stuff you have watched at the same time you put new content on the iPhone. It only becomes an issue if you can download movies directly from iTunes via wifi. AFAIK, this feature will not be a part of the iPhone (at least initially).
So you can be lazy :D.

Well, now that I think of it, the only reason it would be necessary would be if you're in desperate need of space and don't have a computer and iTunes to sync to. Then, with the current iPod features, you would either have to return to factory condition or live with it. Of course, this is an outlandish scenario, but you never know ;).

It's an iPhone forum, anything can happen...

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If the sky seems to rain on you and you can only get a 4gb, don't fret. Cingular lets you return a phone within the first 30 days, no questions asked. You can return it when the 8gb become more available (hopefully they will get a new shipment in within 30 days). :cool:
Then some lucky person will get your original iPhone for the Refurbished price.:laugh2:

thepepes

May 20, 2007
NY
Especially if you do the math... pricing it per gig:

4 GB = $124.5/gig
8 GB = $74.88/gig

Double your storage? It's a no brainer...

That's a great way of using smart playlists. 8GB is still a lot of music... I don't care who you are. I never really understood the concept of "I need to bring my whole collection with me". I guess that would also double as a backup but I think people with a lot of music tend to fumble around as well... if someone randomizes the whole iPod they're likely to get stuff they're just going to hit "next" on because they know they're bound to get something they'll like "better" on next.

I'm just banking on the hope that there will be some kind of mail-in rebate to offset some of the cost...then depending on which is the better deal after I know how much the rebates are for then I'll make my decision... do people think that these phones are going to go so fast that there will be a shortage or something? I just recently had my iPod stolen at a new york club one night...and I dropped my phone and broke it just last night somewhere else, so hopefully the iPhone will take care of both losses lol.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
... do people think that these phones are going to go so fast that there will be a shortage or something?
That is a good question. No one knows how many iPhones will be available at launch. Depending on what survey you believe, the iPhone will be in extreme demand, a big flop or somewhere in between. IMHO, there will be sufficient iPhones available to meet the demand. We will just have to wait and see though ;).

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I am hopefully getting 8gb. We just need to see how the moneys going late june. For 100 dollars you might as well go up to 8gb.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm just banking on the hope that there will be some kind of mail-in rebate to offset some of the cost...then depending on which is the better deal after I know how much the rebates are for then I'll make my decision... do people think that these phones are going to go so fast that there will be a shortage or something? I just recently had my iPod stolen at a new york club one night...and I dropped my phone and broke it just last night somewhere else, so hopefully the iPhone will take care of both losses lol.
I think there will be shortage eventually. Apple better keep the supply chain open because this will be the hot item come the holidays.:laugh2:

ckontyko

Bronze
Mar 14, 2007
OMG! If there's only 4GB models left.... ahh.. I just hyperventilated! lol.

But seriously, I don't know what I would do. Now you have me worrying! :mad:
If there's only 4GB models left, just buy 2... that'll get you 8 GB. Glad I could help! :cool:

-CJ

ckontyko

Bronze
Mar 14, 2007
I am going with the 8 GB, so I can store enough videos to watch on the widescreen. I'm not really worried about the initial cost. I'm worried whether I can afford the monthly data and service plan. Anyone else in this camp? I don't understand why everyone is worrying about 499 vs. 599 when the att service plan is sure to be $80+ per month with unlimited data, I'm guessing. So I'm spending another $960 per year anyway just for the service.

I guess saving up for 599 is just a one time thing. I save up, I pay cash, I'm done for life. But budgeting money per month for the service plan is what worries me.

Maybe I'm just too cautious.

-CJ

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
I will get the 8gb unless I only can buy the 4gb. Its not really gonna replace my 30gb iPod so its not really a big deal if I have to get the 4gb.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm not really worried about the initial cost. I'm worried whether I can afford the monthly data and service plan. Anyone else in this camp? I don't understand why everyone is worrying about 499 vs. 599 when the att service plan is sure to be $80+ per month with unlimited data, I'm guessing. So I'm spending another $960 per year anyway just for the service.

I guess saving up for 599 is just a one time thing. I save up, I pay cash, I'm done for life. But budgeting money per month for the service plan is what worries me.

Maybe I'm just too cautious.

-CJ
I can understand why the monthly contract cost is your concern. This is the same reason I haven't upgraded to HDTV yet. While I could afford the initial price of the new TV, I'm not sure it's worth an $80 increase every month on my cable bill for only five or six channels of HD. So I can see why you wouldn't want to bite off the $40/month data plan.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I'm worried whether I can afford the monthly data and service plan. Anyone else in this camp?
I won't be getting a data plan myself... at least not initially. I'm going to see how far I go on public wifi first and what the iPhone browsing experience is like if it's really worth it. AFAIK you can add on/remove a data plan at anytime so it might be worth your while to find out how much/when you use the data features first. (For example if you find yourself in situations where you need the data plan and can't use wifi.)

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
I won't be getting a data plan myself... at least not initially. I'm going to see how far I go on public wifi first and what the iPhone browsing experience is like if it's really worth it. AFAIK you can add on/remove a data plan at anytime so it might be worth your while to find out how much/when you use the data features first. (For example if you find yourself in situations where you need the data plan and can't use wifi.)
Better not hit that widget button by accident outside of a wifi zone:cool:

ckontyko

Bronze
Mar 14, 2007
I can understand why the monthly contract cost is your concern. This is the same reason I haven't upgraded to HDTV yet. While I could afford the initial price of the new TV, I'm not sure it's worth an $80 increase every month on my cable bill for only five or six channels of HD. So I can see why you wouldn't want to bite off the $40/month data plan.
I read you loud and clear on the HDTV... I'm in the same boat there. Plus I'm waiting for an Apple TV that can wirelessly stream video both ways... from my computer to my TV, and wirelessly record from my TV onto a wireless hard drive network in my basement. Then I could get rid of my DVD's, VHS tapes, DVD player, VHS player, and DVR. Then I'd by a HDTV, Apple TV, and that wireless hard drive (or AirPort Extreme "n" edition), and be all set.

But that's another topic altogether.... :)

-CJ

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I read you loud and clear on the HDTV...But that's another topic altogether.... :)
Yeh I wonder what happened with the Apple/Miglia thing... I personally think the current Apple TV is a little underpowered to be able to DVR but I hope I'm wrong and Apple comes out with a nice add-on solution... ;)

The HD Tivo is the one to beat but so is its price...

Juniaz

May 22, 2007
Boston
my paranoia just gave me another scary thought...what if the only iPhones that are available by the time i get to the counter on June, XX are 4GB phones? now that's the real dilemma.
That would suck, but I'm pretty sure there will be more 8gb phones than 4gb because: 1) I think more people are interested in the 8gb 2) it would force people to spend more money once the 4gb runs out (if they don't want to wait or go to another store), which is a good idea from a businesss standpoint.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
The 4GB model is just there to appease the penny sniffers. I'd imagine it will get discontinued after awhile, much like the smaller 20 GB PS3 configuration.

Or I could totally be off, underestimating the number of users who don't need to spend the extra cash (and who were wishing there was an even 2 GB model, much like the Nano).