4GB or 8GB?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Prices will go down while storage goes up. Just hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
It is definitely worth it in the long run to spend the extra hundred and grab the 8GB. It will last longer with the memory and is a better deal. I am still hoping, though, that when the new model comes out there will be some kind of trade-in value so you can get the version with more memory for less, kind of like a big Thank-You for jumping right into deep water :D.

I will probably stick with the first version for a while, though. :cool:

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
It'll be a while before the new model comes out. With AT&T's five year exclusivity deal, they'll ride this model for a while.
Did this get thrown to the curb or something?
http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2007/01/why_iphone_is_not_for_me.html said:
They announced the exclusive partnership with Cingular until 2008. That means no body else can carry iPhone until 2008 in US.
Edit: Oh hey.. Nevermind.. Five years it is.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
5 years is such a long time. It dosn't seem like it but man I couldnt wait 6 months imagine these people waiting 5 years.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
5 years is such a long time. It dosn't seem like it but man I couldnt wait 6 months imagine these people waiting 5 years.
There'll be a lot of T-Mobile customers converting to At&t very soon. As soon as the first guy in the office bounces in with one, they'll be running to T-Mobile to drop those contracts.

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
This is huge for AT&T. They are making two big moves at once now, and are likely to corner a much bigger part of the market by the end of this year. These two big moves are that they combined Cingular and AT&T, which I will talk about down below, and that they grabbed the iPhone.

With the demand of the iPhone, many people will be switching to AT&T, and will likely stay as customers for a long time. Also, they make money from the phones themselves.

About the merging of the companies, I was interested and asked at a local Cingular/ AT&T store while I was there looking around. They said something along the lines that they want to make a big move to Europe and needed the AT&T name to do that. Something that it is more trusted or something. And that they will be making a big move pretty soon. This could be HUGE for Cingular/AT&T.

That said, 5 years is a huge amount of time. We shall have to wait and see how it plays out.

soleobjective

Mar 7, 2007
my paranoia just gave me another scary thought...what if the only iPhones that are available by the time i get to the counter on June, XX are 4GB phones? now that's the real dilemma.

if this happens to me im just gonna have to walk away and wait for the next shipment. it would be hard to do, but i would feel like im settling for something thats not the best and thats not a feeling i want to have when im putting up that kinda of money

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Im sure a lot of people wont care which version they get 4/8 if it comes down to that.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
if this happens to me im just gonna have to walk away and wait for the next shipment. it would be hard to do, but i would feel like im settling for something thats not the best and thats not a feeling i want to have when im putting up that kinda of money
I am with you. It will be hard to walk away without an iPhone, but I would rather wait and get what I really want. If I accepted the 4GB unit, I think every time I used it a little part of me would be saying "I wish it was the 8GB version."

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
I am with you. It will be hard to walk away without an iPhone, but I would rather wait and get what I really want. If I accepted the 4GB unit, I think every time I used it a little part of me would be saying "I wish it was the 8GB version."
Hear hear! Without an expansion card, I'm not settling for the smaller of the two. I don't think I could take a "Your iPhone is full" message every time I synced, knowing I could've waited. But it'd be tough to be patient.

-K

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Very tough indeed. I would need to take in to consideration the next shipping date.

the PHDs

Bronze
May 21, 2007
well..let's break it down...
right now i have a 30Gb iPod which can hold thousands of songs...
however, i only have like 450(sad, i know) and ivehad the ipod for a year
how many songs exactly can a 4Gb hold b/c i don't have that much $ for the 8

the PHDs

Bronze
May 21, 2007
well..hate to be the outcast, but the 4gb is for me.
am i alone on this one?

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
There is no number of songs per Gb.
It all depends on the quality of each song, and the length of each song.
Cause some of the "songs" I have are 80Mbs by themselves, that's only 100 songs.
I like to follow the 1Mb is one minute rule.
It's not all that accurate, but works out to be fairly close.

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
Apple uses this:
They say 2,000 for the 8GB nano.
Then by their standard my rule fits perfectly.
1Mb = 1 minute
1 song = 4 minutes
thereforee 1 song = 4Mb
8,000Mb/4Mb = 2,000

but there will be closer to 7Gigs of space than 8.