4GB or 8GB?

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
For a point of reference, I have 100 full albums and 5 unabridged books (1.5GB) on my 8GB nano. The encode rates on the albums varies but I would guess the average is 192k. I think you can safely say that the 4GB version will hold 50+ albums. Remember though that we don't know how much space will be used by the OS and programs.

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
Also the length of your songs effect the space.
This is true. Most songs are at an average of 3.5 to 5 minutes, but there are also the 2 minute songs and the 10 minute songs. There are way too many variables at this point to tell exactly how many songs will fit on the iPhone.

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
Here's a question: Does the amount of flash memory effect the overall speed of the applications? Like adding memory to a computer? Or is that handled by a different part of the phone?

Either way, the 8 gig seems to be a no brainer.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
The flash memory is simmilar to the HDD of a computer. It just stores the information.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
A certain amount probably will be reserved for the system though. All Unix OSes (including Mac OS X) use disk-based virtual memory swap files. I'm betting the iPhone probably won't use that much of the disk space though. AFAIK the ARM instructions are a lot smaller than a desktop chip so not as much memory will be used either.... I wouldn't doubt if the iPhone had less than 128 MB internal.

Shon

May 20, 2007
8GB is the better buy

I have pretty much made up my mind when it comes to getting the iPhone. One thing that i am debating over is if i will get the 4gb or the 8gb. With a difference of 100 dollars is it worth it to just get the 8gb? Which is the better value? :cool:
I will buy the 8gb because it's only a 100 dollar difference in price. I wanted to know if anyone has an idea what's the talk time on the iPhone? You can do a lot of things with the phone but I haven't heard how long you can talk.:)

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
I will buy the 8gb because it's only a 100 dollar difference in price. I wanted to know if anyone has an idea what's the talk time on the iPhone? You can do a lot of things with the phone but I haven't heard how long you can talk.:)
5 hours talk/web surfing time

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
You can find all the tech specs here including battery life.

Last edited by a moderator:

cpl55

May 25, 2007
8 GB vs. 4 GB

Very true! Look at how unpopular the 20GB PS3 was, compared to the 60GB! I think Sony stopped producing the 20GB pretty soon after launch. It sort of seems more cost-effective if Apple would have just offered the 8GB; I think having more SKUs is usually more complicated and inconvenient than it is advantageous!

Especially if you do the math... pricing it per gig:

4 GB = $124.5/gig
8 GB = $74.88/gig

Double your storage? It's a no brainer...

That's a great way of using smart playlists. 8GB is still a lot of music... I don't care who you are. I never really understood the concept of "I need to bring my whole collection with me". I guess that would also double as a backup but I think people with a lot of music tend to fumble around as well... if someone randomizes the whole iPod they're likely to get stuff they're just going to hit "next" on because they know they're bound to get something they'll like "better" on next.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
Very true! Look at how unpopular the 20GB PS3 was, compared to the 60GB! I think Sony stopped producing the 20GB pretty soon after launch. It sort of seems more cost-effective if Apple would have just offered the 8GB; I think having more SKUs is usually more complicated and inconvenient than it is advantageous!
i really don't understand the route companies have taken recently when releasing a product with two difference specs (xbox 360, ps3, and now iPhone).

the inferior products are always a failure and are eventually fazed out. the same thing is going to happen with the 4GB iPhone.

i know i've said this before, but my biggest fear is that the only ones that are available to me on release day are the 4GB phones...i absolutely do not want one.

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
i really don't understand the route companies have taken recently when releasing a product with two difference specs (xbox 360, ps3, and now iPhone).

the inferior products are always a failure and are eventually fazed out. the same thing is going to happen with the 4GB iPhone.

i know i've said this before, but my biggest fear is that the only ones that are available to me on release day are the 4GB phones...i absolutely do not want one.
Since one cannot have too much storage, I agree that the 8GB is bound to be in high demand.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com

Judging by the iPod and Nano, there are a lot of people that buy what you call "inferior" products. From what I have read the 4GB Nano outsells the 8GB. Seems like a no brainer to me to go for the 8GB Nano (2 times the space for $50) but I guess it isn't. We will just have to wait and see if this is true with the iPhone.

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
Judging by the iPod and Nano, there are a lot of people that buy what you call "inferior" products. From what I have read the 4GB Nano outsells the 8GB. Seems like a no brainer to me to go for the 8GB Nano (2 times the space for $50) but I guess it isn't. We will just have to wait and see if this is true with the iPhone.
Nano's don't play video. Or store pictures. GG

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
Nano's don't play video. Or store pictures. GG
nor do they cost $500 with a $75-100 monthly service charge. i guess that was my point. with an expensive product (i.e. ps3, 360, iPhone) why would anyone go for the smaller capacity?

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
Actually given the many things one can do with an iPhone, I'm very surprised that they have so little memory. Even 8GB is nothing when the device has the ability to store all kinds of content.

Then in an effort to be "different" or whatever Apple was thinking, the choice to Not offer a memory card slot like every other mobile device is laughable.....:)

wubagel

May 22, 2007
I agree, I'm not too happy about the lack of a memory slot...I don't want to have to be choosy when it comes to what media I can put on my iPhone. I'd like to be able to add memory so I don't have to worry about.

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
Yeah, I was very sad that they weren't offering a 20gig.
And the lack of a SD slot also sucks.

$75-$100 monthly, no way.
That's probably if you get ALL the bells and whistles.
If anyone pays more than that for 1 phone line, they either have a very high powered lifestyle, are rich, or are getting ripped off.

Unless I'm just ignorant and don't know any better. :(