4S battery issue maybe bad connection at battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by MuddyPaws, Dec 8, 2011.

1. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

After having this issue the other night...

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/does-the-4s-have-some-sort-of-shock-alert.83197/

I just looked at my phone and this is what is says...

I have NEVER had this kind of battery life on my 4S. On my 4, yes, but not on the 4S.

Nothing has been installed or turned off or on since the accident. The only change I made was a new case the day after the accident, installed a lifeproof. Hope I don't regret that. Wondering if the lifeproof would have poped apart in the same kind of accident.

But battery life is much better. Possible that it jarred a connection in there somehow?

#1 MuddyPaws, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2013
  2. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

Oh, and normally after a day like today, at this time of night, I would be below 20%. Usually 10% or below.

3. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

What am I missing? Almost 2.5 hours and you're at 60% is that supposed to be good or bad for you?

Don't tell me you are looking at stand by. That doesn't prove anything

4. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I am telling you that with the same type of usage on monday, I was at less than 15%. That's why I said "Oh, and normally after a day like today, at this time of night, I would be below 20%. Usually 10% or below." You must have missed that.

5. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

Side note....Why doesn't Pandora register as usage?

6. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

2 year battery study? The 4S just came out. I have only had battery issues since the 4S.

I could actually care less what you think about my battery life. I know what I am seeing on my phone but thanks for adding your -.02 . Nothing magical happened between monday and last night. The phone took a hard drop. Now the battery is working better. I don't know why. The only thing that possibly could have happened was a poor connection inside the phone, if it had anything to do with it at all. I am speculating. I'm allowed to do that aren't I?

#6 MuddyPaws, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  7. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

So with 2.5 hours of usage you are usually at 15%. I've never heard of anyone's phone being that bad before. I get about 6 hours of usage. My only problem is over night. Unplugged it will die.

But if you are only getting 2.5 hours usage then you definitely had a problem that I have never heard of

8. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

You are talking about 2 different things. You talk about usage, then you talk about that yours will die if left overnight on standby. OK, mine died when left during the day on standby. Is night standby different than day standby?

And if you read the battery problems....they are mostly about battery drain when on standby. Matter of fact there is a thread in this area of the forums about it on the first page. http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/iphone-4s-battery-drainage-during-standby.81120/ In fact, you posted in it. In that post there is a member that lost 20% in 1 hour of standby.

9. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

You said, "the same type of usage on Monday", so I assumed you were talking about usage.

I think it was just a coincidence that your battery lasted longer. Honestly, you only had 2.5 hours of usage, that's the main thing to look at.

The problem with the battery is with standby, I will agree, but I do notice that sometimes it doesn't drain the battery fast.

For instance, when I stay at my GF's house I don't bring my charger. Some nights I can go to sleep with a 80% charge and wake up and it's completely dead. Other times I'll wake up and it'll only drop to 70%. It's hit or miss. The point is, it was just coincidence that your battery lasted longer on standby.

The real test is how many hours you get on usage

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's a possible that the drop caused a hard reset and that's what caused the improved battery life, or more specifically calibrated the battery.

But I agree with chazm, the usage hours are more relevant. The standby hours may not be accurate. I've heard that some of the 4S' had seemingly poor battery life on 5.0 and that the numbers dropped fast, but that battery lasted for a long time at 1%, which sounds like a calibration problem rather than rapid battery drain.

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

MuddyPaws,

Either the drop itself or the subsequent hard reset (as Europa points out) you performed are both possible causes of your improved battery life. It'll be interesting to see if your improved battery performance will stick around during the next few days... Please advise! I'm planning on getting the 4S as soon as their majesty AT&T deems me worthy of a handset upgrade, which is on February 25th. These battery issues that everyone seems to be talking about are a little bit worrysome, but hopefully iOS will have gotten its act together by then. I had great battery life on the 4, but after losing the 4 and being forced to downgrade to the 3GS, battery performance has been disappointing.

Good luck!

Rafael

12. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

@Rafeal, of it helps any I have a 4s and can't complain about the battery life at all. After turning a few things off that I don't think I needed. Still on iOS 5 didn't update and I average 6-7 hrs of use. But I'm not a big gamer on the phone. EiC a lot!, email, txts, web and such.

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thanks for the reassurance, RoofMonkey. I trust I'll hear enough success stories between here and February that I won't get cold feet and end up waiting for the 5. It's gonna be gut-wrenching when the 5 comes out and I'm chained to the 4S because of AT&T, but it'd be worse to stick with this 3GS so long. After enjoying the 4 for over a year, it's painful to return to the 3GS. :)

14. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I meant usage as in how I use it. Not "usage" compared to "standby" as reported on the 4S. Sorry about the confusion.

FWIW...I have done several hard resets, and full restores since I got the 4S with no change in battery life. "Usage"
    time was not a huge issue for me. "Standby" was a huge concern. I could not take it off the charger, go to work, come home and go to bed and wake up with it having any charge. At work, i don't use my phone. I might check email twice during the day but I have my computer in front of me so I don't need to check it on my phone. By 3pm, with almost no "usage", zero phone calls, my battery would be about 50%. In contrast, my wife's 4 can sit on the kitchen counter for 3 days and not be dead.

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Do you work in a place that's "hard-to-reach" for your cell's signal? Like a big building where maybe you sit far from the outside? If you let your phone sit for 3 days on the kitchen counter, will it still suffer the same battery drain that it suffers at your job? Conversely, you could borrow your wife's phone one day and take it in with you to work and see if her phone's battery performance is compromised... Then you'll know it's where you work and not the phone itself that's causing you grief. Also, I'm sure you've heard this before, but turn off Wifi if you won't have access to it for any extended period of time. Your phone's "hunting" for a Wifi network that it can connect to is a drain on its battery...

Good luck with the investigation! :)

16. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I didn't have the same issue with the same day to day use with my 4 before I sold it to get the 4S. And I still was suffering the same battery drain with my 4S on the weekend when I was at home. Even when the wife and I traveled together and left the house with 100%, mine would be dead by the end of the day.

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Hmmm... Has to be the 4S then. So good thing you had that mishap on the highway. Hehe. Did you say you did or didn't go to 5.01? And if you did, did the upgrade make any difference whatsoever?

18. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I did the 5.0.1 update the second it was available hoping for better battery. Made zero difference.

Currently at 4 hours, 2 min usage and 11 hours, 23 minutes standby and am at 74%

Regardless of what Rugaby or chazm says or thinks, I know what my phone was doing and this is way better. No idea why. Don't really care. Still not as good as my 4 was though.

19. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

It never going to be as good, battery life wise, as the 4. Seeing the 4s has a faster processor it will use more battery, period.

20. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I hope Apple is researching new battery technologies... Processors are only going to get faster and if batteries don't catch up to meet the demand, it isn't going to be pretty.