4S & Bluetooth car kits: Success, Problems?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Rootntootn, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

Update 10/23 had an extended period of use without recurrence of problems. I was able to stream audio (both with Apple Music app and Slacker) and also to talk on the phone with no breaks. I'm wondering whether I had to toggle back and forth between headphone and bluetooth. Another user was commented about Bluetooth problems with 4S is lawtyger so you might want to read his posts if you're having this problem too. I will repost again if problems recur.

10/19/11: Scosche R&D is aware of this problem with the 4S's pairing with (at least the Honda BT unit, he didn't say about other brands). They are working on fix but beware if you like to use hands-free kit in your car. I've gone back to BT ear unit ok for now but must use AUX wire to hear tunes. Ouch.

Hi. A heads up for others, and anybody else's experience would be appreciated. I installed the well-reputed after-market Scosche (BFHAK) hands-free car kit in my Honda Civic last week; it paired like a champ with my iPhone 4. Everything worked great, superb sound with no drop outs.
    But with 4S, bummer --> losing pairing after only 30 seconds. I've repaired, deleted profiles, rebooted the 4S. Nada.
    This may be just a Scosche problem as the new phone works well so far with an after-market BT kit in my Toyota from Got2b wireless.
    How about a thread on the 4S and BT car kits so all of us can get a warning or reassurance? Thanks!

2. IllusionalTA

IllusionalTA New Member

I've had issue's w/ my Audi since upgrading to the 5.0 Software... It'll drop out but will recover in the middle of a call once.. after that it's fine.. does yours recover?

3. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

I am in kind of a happy mystery state as the drop out problem with my Scosche hands-free resolved and has not recurred despite fairly heavy use last 3 days, making and receiving calls, streaming audio from various apps. I thought that maybe I didn't have the apps' setting on BT using the BT symbol by the volume slider, but that shouldn't have caused it to lose pairing during calls. I had one time used a headphone cable to jack the iPhone into the system, expecting markedly better audio quality; maybe that confused it (?). But I've got good audio streaming quality over BT so have lost the cable. Sorry you are still struggling. I would be sure to call Scosche tech (1 (800) 621-3695 ext 3); their R&D is investigating other users' probs with ios5/4S.

4. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

I'm sorry to have to say but it's probably better to avoid the Scosche Bluetooth unit for your car. Mine just doesn't seem to work very well at all. It was good unit in the beginning with my iPhone 4. But this pairing problem is going on and on. I've had it work for several weeks. But if I turn off the blue tooth at all (to save battery life) or use the car radio at all other than Bluetooth (such as FM or CD), it does not be able to pair anymore.

Scosche just said the 4S is compatible with their products. End of discussion.

5. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

History of BT issues with 4 and 4S. Test your kit with another device if you can. Maybe you can at least confirm it's sellable to someone using a different device.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

6. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

Yeah; Scosche said I'd have to try to reset unit by going into dash SNF unattaching harness for awhile. Hassle. I'm gonna see if just doing a power off reset by unhooking car battery cables for a minute resets Scosche.

Anyone ever notice, when opening Settings/General/Bluetooth that the pinwheel is spinning constantly perhaps indicating that the iPhone is always looking to hook up with another BT unit? This happens even when my phone is connected. Then it disconnects itself. Why does it work like this?

7. JDem

JDem Contributor
    Bronze

Absolutely I notice this as well! I may be just blowing things out of proportion a little, but I never trust BT with this phone any more.

8. KRIEGHOFF

KRIEGHOFF Member
    Bronze

Why wouldn't you trust it? Just wondering!

9. JDem

JDem Contributor
    Bronze

Maybe "trust" isn't quite the right word to use, but the reliability just doesn't seem to be there when it comes to BT and the iPhone.

Couple of examples:
    -One random day it'll pair with my car in the morning but not in the evening when I get back in the car.
    -I could have it pair to my headset every day for a week and then it won't find the headset all of a sudden for no reason.

Plus, I have never seen a phone take longer to connect to other devices via BT. I can turn on BT on the phone and turn on my headset and the pin wheel will sit there spinning and spinning and simply will not connect till I toggle BT off and back on again. I swear for all the things this phone is amazing at, BT isn't its strong suit!

10. KRIEGHOFF

KRIEGHOFF Member
    Bronze

Sometimes I just think that is the way they work. I have had many BT setups and they all worked about the same. There were time times when they would connect right up and other times I had to keep connecting them myself.

11. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Was the 3GS so buggy on BT?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

12. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

Consider this: with Wifi there's a toggle allowing users to stop the phone from prompting you to join any network which comes in range. For sure I leave this off (or I'd really have poor battery life)! The downside of leaving this off is that I might miss the chance of finding an open network to jack into by chance, but I'll live with the loss!

Such a toggle would be far more rational with the iPhone BT. Why would you want to hook up with any BT device at any time? We all have a stable of devices that we use. Why wouldn't our BT only briefly check if one of the 'known' devices is in range and join it, if so. As long as it's paired it would not search at all unless prompted to look for either the availability of another known device or for a new, unknown device. Is it true that, when BT is turned on, the phone is constantly lookin for other devices? Is it only when I open BT under settings? Or does it scan for devices on a schedule? I sure find a battery drain when it's on; do you?

Look, I like the iPhone. I've bought 5. But BT implementation on this phone is not good. And if I've got to keep re-pairing the phone on BT there should be a 'dongle' (or whatever they have in Android on the home screen) to rapidly access BT, not to have to open my utilities folder then settings/general/BT/ then tap the BT profile for the device. Handsoff BT devices supposed to improve my safety while driving? Hmmm.

13. KRIEGHOFF

KRIEGHOFF Member
    Bronze

Both the 3G and the 4S seem to work about the same.

14. JDem

JDem Contributor
    Bronze

dongle = widget and I agree 100%!

15. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

. One of the new Bentleys at the recent Los Angeles auto show has two Apple iPads installed in it standard. The electronic controller in the BMW (idrive) is generally considered to be very complicated and difficult to use. Steve Jobs was talking about making the world of the TV over again. Apple could make massive cash by totally controlling electronics in the automobile industry. The automobile electronics market is so divided up and such trash. Apple has the killer interface.

But first they've got to get a decent Bluetooth going.