4s cases using an iPhone 4 case

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I know a lot of people are saying that the 'old' iPhone 4 cases will fit the 4s since both devices have the same form factor. What about the new mic on the top of the 4s? Or does the 4 also have a second mic up top?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
It looks like anything designed after the Verizon iPhone came out will fit, since it has the same design. And anything designed with some room around the buttons on the side instead of form-fitting to them like the old bumper.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Found some disheartening info online. It makes since and I forgot about the verizon vibrate button move.

Otter box has made new cases for the iPhone 4s. The iPhone 4 can fit in a case for the 4s, but the 4s cannot fit in the case for the 4. This is because otter box has made the opening for the camera bigger in the case for the 4s to allow for more light to enter to be paired with Apple's redesign of the camera to allow in more light.

Also, there were originally 2 versions of the otter box 4: the original, and the universal. The original has the spot for the vibrate button where the button is on AT&T phones. However, that button was in a different spot for Verizon phones, so they made one that would fit the vibrate button for both AT&T and Verizon. The new box has the universal design as all vibrate buttons will now be in the spot where Verizon's was in the 4.

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
I always use my iDevices naked for about a week. I want to experience the phone the way Apple designed it. Plus now that Applecare+ covers accidental damage twice I don't need to worry as much. I will probably go with one of the element cases. Here's a question I doubt will be answered before we actually get one. The 4s is the same form factor as the 4, right? But which one? The AT&T iPhone 4 or the Verizon iPhone 4? There were slight differences made for the Verizon iPhone 4 that didn't allow for the use of some AT&T iPhone 4 cases.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I always use my iDevices naked for about a week. I want to experience the phone the way Apple designed it. Plus now that Applecare+ covers accidental damage twice I don't need to worry as much. I will probably go with one of the element cases. Here's a question I doubt will be answered before we actually get one. The 4s is the same form factor as the 4, right? But which one? The AT&T iPhone 4 or the Verizon iPhone 4? There were slight differences made for the Verizon iPhone 4 that didn't allow for the use of some AT&T iPhone 4 cases.
It matches the Verizon iPhone 4 design, so anything designed with it in mind will fit it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The Apple bumper cases fit the AT&T iPhone 4 and Verizon iPhone 4, so I don't see why they wouldn't fit the iPhone 4S.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Didn't they move the vibrate switch in the verizon version of the phone ? Maybe just tight fitting cases, like otterbox or life proof will only be an issue. ?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
The Apple bumper cases fit the AT&T iPhone 4 and Verizon iPhone 4, so I don't see why they wouldn't fit the iPhone 4S.
The original bumpers wouldn't; the cutout for the silent switch will only fit over the AT&T version. The ones made after the Verizon iPhone 4 would, as they made the cutout bigger.

Didn't they move the vibrate switch in the verizon version of the phone ? Maybe just tight fitting cases, like otterbox or life proof will only be an issue. ?
Vibrate switch and volume buttons moved down slightly, yep. LifeProof fits both since the switch is made to fit either one, and the volume button little "nubbin" things still hit the right targets.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, you're right. The black bumper is an AT&T bumper and the white one is an AT&T/Verizon bumper. There is a thin piece of plastic towards the bottom of the hole for the switch that can be removed with an exacto knife. It should fit after that. I'll post an after picture of it on my 4S if it works.

dipocoker

Feb 17, 2011
France
www.doclang.net
Yeah, you're right. The black bumper is an AT&T bumper and the white one is an AT&T/Verizon bumper. There is a thin piece of plastic towards the bottom of the hole for the switch that can be removed with an exacto knife. It should fit after that. I'll post an after picture of it on my 4S if it works.
Hi all,
my first post, after following the forum passively for months.
I've just received my iPhone 4S and can confirm that the IvySkin Quatro made for the GSM version of the iPhone 4 will NOT fit the new 4S.
BTW I live in France so we never had the CDMA version of the phone.
See pics.
Keep up the good work mods...
Off hunting for a classy new case for my iPhone 4S White 64Gb
IMG_2014.jpg
IMG_2015.jpg