4S the most successfully launched iPhone yet

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Tinman, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/07/att-200000-iphone-4s-pre-orders-in-just-first-12-hours-of-sales/

Michael

2. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Well I stand corrected. Guess there is a "buzz" and then some about the 4S. Hmph.

3. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Keep in mind that is just AT&T. Now we have 3 carriers all getting it at once. :)

Michael

4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I never doubted this. People may have been a little disappointed initially but then came to their senses and maybe realized it's all about the experience.

5. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

People don't realize how stupid they make themselves look when they talk about failure by Apple. That includes the media.

Sent from my iPhone 11

6. aknightstale41

Gold

Very true, it always comes back to the numbers, not what is said.

7. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Man, how are they ever gonna catch up to Android like this?

8. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Wow, this must be one sad upgrade. <rolls eyes>

9. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

And now it seems Sprint, Verizon, and the Apple store have all exhausted their initial supply of iPhone 4Ss. Now showing 1-2 weeks before shipment on all models of the 4S at Apple. It would appear the window for delivery by next Friday has closed--unless you want to wait in line on iDay5.

Michael

10. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

AT&T royally buggered up my order (placed at 3:45AM Thursday night) - was stated as delivery by 10/14 when I ordered but turned into 2-3 weeks by yesterday evening. So I canceled that and I'll be lining up at Stupid O'clock on Friday at my local Apple store.

11. jarofclay73

jarofclay73 Zealot
    Gold

I'm not anti-AT&T nor anti-iphone, but I still think this is a bit premature. I'll wait for the total numbers.

12. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

That's a shame. :(

Alas I've seen many reports of that from those who ordered through AT&T. I came within seconds of ordering it from AT&T because my billing address with them is my PO box and Apple won't ship there or let you change your address. But I was concerned because I have been burned by ordering from AT&T before. So I changed my AT&T billing address and then immediately went back to Apple and it let me order. The status has not changed from "delivers Oct 14" as of right now.

Michael

13. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Premature? Every place is now sold out inside the USA and in most countries outside the USA. The initial shipment has been accounted for and all orders placed now are backordered. If anyone still wants one on 10/14 they either need to be lucky or wait in line in person.

Michael

14. jarofclay73

jarofclay73 Zealot
    Gold

Post an article that says Verizon and Sprint are sold out. I'm pretty sure they are but I want hard numbers. Until then, I'll wait to celebrate.

15. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Yeah I saw your post on that runaround. Silver lining for me is that every time I've done the lining up at my local Apple store (a good 5 times or so now) it has been tiring as heck but also big fun.

16. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Negative much?

http://gizmodo.com/5751465/verizon-iphone-4-pre+sales-all-sold-out
    http://blogs.computerworld.com/17767/verizon_iphone_4_sold_out_wait_for_iphone_5
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/02/03/verizon_iphone_preorders_sell_out_on_first_day.html
    http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/10/08/iPhone.4s.already.up.to.1.2.week.us.delay/

As for Sprint... well I have 2 phones on Sprint and was going to finally get an iPhone on one of the lines. I didn't get a chance till last night but when I went to order it was sold out. Naturally some are reserved for in-store sales, same as Verizon and Apple.

I am also reading a disturbing number of reports from people who ordered through AT&T who have had their ship dates change from receiving on Oct 14 to shipping from 7-21 days. That may indicate that AT&T may have oversold their pre-order allotment. That would only mean more 4S sales--if those people don't get angry and cancel (if it was me I would cancel and take my chances in person).

Most of the Mac sites I visit have, perhaps because it was not expected by some, stories about how well the iPhone 4S has sold right out of the gate. That would be MacRumors, 9to5Mac, etc.

Michael

Michael

17. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Hope this shuts up some naysayers.

18. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I can confirm sold outs by sprint, my girlfriend tried last night and it was no go.
    All we need now is the third guy.

19. jarofclay73

jarofclay73 Zealot
    Gold

Thanks! So, maybe 1 million + in 12 hours? I'm assuming Apple had a larger first-day mail order inventory than the carriers.

20. tpeter

tpeter Member
    Bronze

If my original emai from att says oct 14 can I assume I'm safe? Or are people getting emailed even now with date changes