4th Generation iPad Benchmarks Show 1.4GHz Dual Core Processor, 1GB of RAM

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I've already updated a few apps that were updated for iPad 4, and they are gorgeous - Infinity Blade 2, Asphalt 7, NOVA 3, Action Movie FX. Apps which did a lot of number crunching to do their thing are also a lot faster without having been updated for iPad 4 - iPhoto, Garageband, Keynote. Although, I imagine those got some of their performance boost from being recompiled for the A6 on iPhone 5. Oh, and then there's the whole wireless screen mirroring/video output thing. Not to mention the other couple hundred thousand tablet apps that still work and more.

Yep. Such a waste of good hardware.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
If you want to look at it that way, so is anybody buying the iPod touch. Not to mention buying the 4S or the 4 instead of the 5, which weren't even repackaged into new products, they're just plain outdated hardware.

But they're not bad hardware. They don't magically turn into crap once something better comes out. If it does the job the buyer wants it to do, and it's worth the price to them, then good on em. They are all fine products and will serve their purpose very well to 98% of the people for 98% of what they'll do with it. Not everybody needs to have the A6X and more megapixels than their TV has - only hopeless cutting edge geeks like me need that. ;)
I retract that statement. I bought one :p

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
I've already updated a few apps that were updated for iPad 4, and they are gorgeous - Infinity Blade 2, Asphalt 7, NOVA 3, Action Movie FX. Apps which did a lot of number crunching to do their thing are also a lot faster without having been updated for iPad 4 - iPhoto, Garageband, Keynote. Although, I imagine those got some of their performance boost from being recompiled for the A6 on iPhone 5. Oh, and then there's the whole wireless screen mirroring/video output thing. Not to mention the other couple hundred thousand tablet apps that still work and more.

Yep. Such a waste of good hardware.
Are you saying that there is a noticeable difference when using the wireless screen mirroring video output to Apple TV between the iPad 3 and the iPad 4? If would you expound on that please?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Are you saying that there is a noticeable difference when using the wireless screen mirroring video output to Apple TV between the iPad 3 and the iPad 4? If would you expound on that please?
Mostly for 3d games that output to it. 2D app mirroring, like Safari, and videos, are pretty much the same. Anything that stresses the GPU, though, there is a huge difference in performance between the iPad 3 and the iPad 4. I don't know how good of a representative the Mac app AirServer is compared to an Apple TV, but the iPad 4 has fewer stutters and skips, even in Asphalt 7 and Lili, typically the two most stuttery and skippy games I encountered on iPad 3. The reason for this is that the GPU is busy not only doing the work of drawing the game, but also processing the output for the wireless AirPlay mirroring, and of course, the iPad 4 has more GPU power to go around, so it has enough power to spare.