5.1.1 Untethered Jailbreak Confirmed to be Released on May 25th

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Europa, May 24, 2012.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It has been confirmed that pod2g and the Chronic Dev Team will be releasing Absinthe 2.0 during the HitBSecConf which is being held in Amsterdam tomorrow.

This untethered jailbreak will work with most iOS devices, but it will not work with the Apple TV 3.

I restored my 4S to 5.1.1 yesterday so I'll be ready to go when this jailbreak is released tomorrow. :)

2. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Great news for many!
    Why did u restore? Werent you already Absinthe'd on 5.0.1?

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, I was jailbroken on 5.0.1. I wanted to restore to factory settings this time.

4. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Just keeping your device "fresh"?
    I was considering doing the same, as I have my iPhone fairly tweaked out.
    I've never had this level of customization, but have had just a few minor crashes over the past few months. Not even sure those could be attributed to the jailbreak.
    My biggest concern is the tweaking I've done in iFile. You know what a hard time I had getting my custom "slide to unlock" sound to stick....
    I've never done a restore and rejailbreak with iFile data. Does that save separately or carry over with PKGBackup?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes. iTunes/iClould backups up jailbreak app settings and PkgBack backs up the apps themselves. I just use DiskAid to save my themes to my desktop before I restore or update and then drag them back in after I rejailbreak. I like to have them backed up on the computer anyway.

6. snowtrooper1966

Gold

In lieu of using DiskAid, can u confirm that iFile data is saved w/PKGBackup?

7. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

Sweet! about to do a restore now too

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can use iFile to back them up if you don't have DiskAid.

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

PkgBackup has a Dropbox api, you can easily save all of your Cydia apps/tweaks and repo's through Dropbox. :)

10. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Yep, use Dropbox for my PKGBackups.
    Used to save them via address book, but once lost all that data with a restore and was SOL....

11. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I've been running stock 5.1.1 for few weeks now because some apps I use a lot have not been function properly. Seemed to be a memory issue. Hopefully it has been address by the time I JB again.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Will it save his custom slide to unlock tone and themes, though?

13. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Dropbox saves everything you get from Cydia.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Will it save a custom unlock tone that he made himself and used SSH, iFile or DiskAid to add into the file system? I was suggesting saving it with DiskAid or iFile because I'm not certain that PkgBack will save it.
    If PkgBackup doesn't save the custom tone, I think it will be in the iTunes/iCloud backup, but I still recommend backing it up on your computer because you may not always want to or be able to use your backup at some point in the future. They don't work when you downgrade anymore, sometimes they get corrupted and sometimes you just need to restore to factory settings. It only takes a minute to save it to the computer and then it's safe and you don't have to rely on the iTunes/PkgBackup backups.

15. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I have no way of checking at this point. I've added custom things through iFile. My guess is that PkgBackup will only save what you install/download through Cydia. That's how i've used it.

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm just going to trust the tech people and that the un-tethered Jailbreak will be released tomorrow. :)

#16 MoneyMaker79, May 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  17. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Mods added via SSH won't be saved as they aren't governed by Cydia, unless they were added by the AutoInstall folder.

Everything downloaded via Cydia, including repo's will be saved. Custom UIAudio sounds are something totally different. If you use custom tones (and you're careful like me) you should keep a folder with both the new and old tones.

18. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

She's a dirty spammer!

19. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I know I'm quoting myself... another feature of this Dropbox saving method is that you can share your backups.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Okay. So it's a good idea to save it with iFile or DiskAid like I originally said. ;) That's how I've always done it as well.