5.1.1 Untethered Jailbreak Confirmed to be Released on May 25th

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I know I'm quoting myself... another feature of this Dropbox saving method is that you can share your backups.
Yes, we don't like spammers. And of course you can share your backups. I love Dropbox! Bad thing about a new Jailbreak is a lot of apps and tweaks won't work until updated for that iOS.

Okay. So it's a good idea to save it with iFile or DiskAid like I originally said. ;)That's how I've always done it as well.

As long as you have it saved on your computer and then via iFile, you're good to go.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, we don't like spammers. And of course you can share your backups. I love Dropbox! Bad thing about a new Jailbreak is a lot of apps and tweaks won't work until updated for that iOS.
This is why I don't use PkgBackup. I know it saves time, but I prefer not to use it because I like to have control over what gets installed. I always check each tweak/app for compatibility with the new firmware before installing it.
As long as you have it saved on your computer and then via iFile, you're good to go.
Exactly, that was my point.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
This is why I don't use PkgBackup. I know it saves time, but I prefer not to use it because I like to have control over what gets installed. I always check each tweak/app for compatibility with the new firmware before installing it.
Exactly. I don't even have a backup of my past Cydia. I will just manually install each tweak/app. Usually the "normal" ones that everybody uses is always compatible.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Okay. So it's a good idea to save it with iFile or DiskAid like I originally said. ;) That's how I've always done it as well.
To be honest I actually do both. I keep the PkgBackup backup stored in Dropbox, so when I re-jailbreak I restore via PkgBackup. With all my tones I just batch SSH them onto my device(s). PkgBackup, IMO is a great convenience. Backing up solely through SSH is just the same, though :)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Oh for me I need some basic stuff here so here is my question.

I have the new iPad and it is running 5.1.1 so can I just jailbreak it tomorrow whenever the jailbreak is released? I don't have any whatevers saved with Cydia or anything like that just pretend I'm a new user jailbreaking for the first time.

What do I need to know or do so that I don't mess myself over on down the road? Are there things I need to register or stuff like that? I want to do this right from the get go...

Thanks

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Oh for me I need some basic stuff here so here is my question.

I have the new iPad and it is running 5.1.1 so can I just jailbreak it tomorrow whenever the jailbreak is released? I don't have any whatevers saved with Cydia or anything like that just pretend I'm a new user jailbreaking for the first time.

What do I need to know or do so that I don't mess myself over on down the road? Are there things I need to register or stuff like that? I want to do this right from the get go...

Thanks
I believe you can register your device through Cydia as a user. Then from there your iPhone SHSH will be saved automatically in Cydia which will ultimately allow you to re-jailbreak or backup when necessary. Also TinyUmbrella is helpful when the time comes or you can still go back to a previous iOS version.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
So just basically follow the instructions and that will get me registered. Thanks!
No problem. I don't recall any actual "registering your device" to save SHSH through Cydia.

If so, it's straight on the Cydia app when you first open it.

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV