5.1.1 Untethered Jailbreak Now Available

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Europa, May 25, 2012.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The 5.1.1 Absinthe 2.0 untethered jailbreak is now available. Jailbreaking on your Mac, PC or Linux computer will take about five minutes.

Directions and download link:
    greenpois0n.com/

Supported Firmware:

Supported iOS devices:
    iPhone 3Gs
    iPhone 4 (GSM/CDMA)
    iPhone 4S
    iPad 1
    iPad 2 (Wifi/CDMA/GSM)
    iPad 3 (Wifi/CDMA/Global)
    iPod 3G
    iPod 4G

Unsupported iOS devices:
    AppleTV 2
    Apple TV 3
    iPad 2 WiFi R2 (new model)

UPDATE: If Absinthe repeatedly fails, restore to 5.1.1 in iTunes on your computer and then run the jailbreak tool again. Using the 'Erase All Content and Settings' feature on the iDevice (even if it was stock to begin with) seems to be causing the jailbreak to fail.

#1 Europa, May 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
  2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Nice big list of supported devices. Happy day for many here at eiC.

3. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

Absinthe 2.0 is downloading fine, but will not install on my Macbook Pro. Grrr.....file isn't recognized, no installable file, etc.

4. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

Had to download three times....last one finally got ALL of the file...the first two downloads didn't download the complete file. So...be ready for that.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try deleting the file and then redownloading Absinthe.

6. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

If I'm still tethered on 5.1 and have the ipad bb (I know) how do i go on now, having downloaded absinthe and ios 5.1.1 (although this isn't yet installed on my 3gs). I don't want to Fcuk my phone up like it did last time.

7. fearofnormalcy

fearofnormalcy Evangelist
    Gold

I'm psyched....but as with any new jailbreak, I'm giving it a few days to work the bugs out.

Also of note is the new advice to backup then "erase all content and settings" through the phone before jailbreaking...I've always considered that button a no-no, but I guess I'll see how it works for others before I make the 5.1.1 jump on my 4S.

Once again, big props to pod2g for his tireless work. Guy is a JB machine!

8. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I'm right there with you. Downloaded it 5 times (5.11mb file size) and I get an appcrash message at about 33%.

Jim

9. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

I have never jailbroken my iPad 3, so I thought I'd use that as my test device as I don't really NEED a jailbreak on my iPad, but my iPhone 4S needs a jailbreak. The iPad 3 goes through what Absinthe tells it to, reboots, looks like it's restoring, then "waits for the process to complete"...then Absinthe tells me that the "Recovery completed. If you want to retry jailbreaking, unplug your device and plug it back in." Nothing is happening. No Cydia, nothing....I didn't do the next steps as is Absinthe isn't telling me that the jailbreak was successful.

Tried it multiple times...it goes through the process and does nothing. Not really sure how to proceed at this point. Good thing I didn't start with my iPhone!

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Correct. That's only if your device is stock. It results in getting stuck at the boot logo if you're jailbroken. If it's jailbroken, restore to a stock 5.1.1 in iTunes first.

11. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

Did you put it into XP (service pack 2) compatibility, and set it as administrator?

I did both and mine still fails too.

Jim

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try restoring to 5.1.1 on your computer and and then jailbreaking. It worked for me. I have 5 failed restores before doing that.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

UPDATE: If Absinthe repeatedly fails, restore to 5.1.1 in iTunes on your computer and then run the jailbreak tool again. Using the erase all content and settings feature on the phone (even if your phone was stock to begin with) seems to be causing the jailbreak to fail.

14. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I'll try that, thanks Europa. I was hoping to not have to restore to new but will make it work.

Thanks.

Jim

15. fearofnormalcy

fearofnormalcy Evangelist
    Gold

Just to clarify Mindi...I'm assuming I should update to a clean 5.1.1, as in "set up as new phone" and not restore from backup?

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Correct. Restore to 5.1.1 in iTunes with factory settings after making a backup. Then jailbreak. You can apply your backup after that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can apply your backup after the jailbreak completes.

18. King_Apollo

King_Apollo Member
    Bronze

Thanks Europa, I kept wondering why it kept failing after 3 times. I'm glad I came on here and saw your post. (y)

19. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

i am doing it now.............

upgraded to 5.1.1 and running Absinthe 2.0............1/4 way through the JB.......taking awhile.......

20. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

i didn't do the erase thing................i just upgrade to 5.1.1......and now doing the JB, but it is taking AWHILE