5.1.1 Untethered Jailbreak Now Available

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
I may actually have to try tethering it with redsn0w and then using rocky racoon. But last time |I tried to install corona over redsn0w (I recall what the tweakl that caused my glitch earlier this year was now) caused my phone to crash. Maybe when I have more time, maybe this weekend I'll try again with a fresh install of 5.1.1 and a different computer again. Might just be a bug in my iOS 5.1.1 somewhere.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I may actually have to try tethering it with redsn0w and then using rocky racoon. But last time |I tried to install corona over redsn0w (I recall what the tweakl that caused my glitch earlier this year was now) caused my phone to crash. Maybe when I have more time, maybe this weekend I'll try again with a fresh install of 5.1.1 and a different computer again. Might just be a bug in my iOS 5.1.1 somewhere.
There was actually an update the other day for Rocky Racoon I believe in Cydia. It was already installed for me before even opening Cydia. I have no experience with it since I was able to Jailbreak the first time with no problems. But yes, definitely try a fresh install of 5.1.1 or at least restore the phone and re Jailbreak on a different computer.

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
@PinkBanana..... Sn0wbreeze 2.9.5 is released...you can just build your custom firmware restore and be Untethered jailbroken....

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
@PinkBanana..... Sn0wbreeze 2.9.5 is released...you can just build your custom firmware restore and be Untethered jailbroken....
Thanks fijiman I've seen that, though sn0wbreeze caused a few problems last time I used it too. Redsn0w has been flawless for me. Guess sn0w is worth a shot.

Sent from my Lady Sara's iPhone using iCafe app

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Jailbreaking is not the difficult part. It's just the fact that you need to properly restore and make sure you backup first through iTunes.

Yes PKGBackup I highly recommend. It's well worth the few bucks that it costs. I use it all the time. But make sure you opt to save unlimited backups or it will re-backup when you reinstall PKGBackup. Then you'll lose everything previously backed up. That was my problem.
How do I right click when I'm using a Mac?

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I backed up my iPhone. Do I update to 5.1.1 before erasing all content and settings? Or, do I update to 5.1.1, than backup and than erase?
What do you mean by erasing all content and settings? You mean in the settings app? That doesn't really fix any Jailbreaking issues. But, backup your device first in iTunes, then update to 5.1.1, then re Jailbreak.

Erasing all content and settings through the Settings app is not necessary. At least I've never heard of having to do that. I just backup, update/restore and jailbreak.

IceCold357

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2009
My phone is running so much smoother now it's amazing. Also seem to be getting better battery life. Before I was getting maybe two or more Springboard crashes a day. I have only had one so far since updating and Jailbreaking.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I backed up my iPhone. Do I update to 5.1.1 before erasing all content and settings? Or, do I update to 5.1.1, than backup and than erase?
1. Backup
2. Restore to factory settings on 5.1.1 in iTunes (this step is in place of erasing all content on the phone itself)
3. Jailbreak
4. Apply your backup by right-clicking on you phone in iTunes

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
What do you mean by erasing all content and settings? You mean in the settings app? That doesn't really fix any Jailbreaking issues. But, backup your device first in iTunes, then update to 5.1.1, then re Jailbreak.

Erasing all content and settings through the Settings app is not necessary. At least I've never heard of having to do that. I just backup, update/restore and jailbreak.
1. Backup
2. Restore to factory settings on 5.1.1 in iTunes (this step is in place of erasing all content on the phone itself)
3. Jailbreak
4. Apply your backup by right-clicking on you phone in iTunes
Thank you both!

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
No problem! Glad to help! :)
Update, jailbreak and restore went well, except...my Apple Contacts/Address Book icon is missing from the springboard. I can access it through search and phone, but the icon is missing. It is showing up in the switcher dock, but that's it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Update, jailbreak and restore went well, except...my Apple Contacts/Address Book icon is missing from the springboard. I can access it through search and phone, but the icon is missing. It is showing up in the switcher dock, but that's it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Interesting. I'm not exactly sure how to respond to this. First time hearing of this issue. Have you tried a fresh restore and jailbreak again? Maybe even with the latest Absinthe jailbreak 2.0.4? Or did you use Sn0wbreeze?

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Interesting. I'm not exactly sure how to respond to this. First time hearing of this issue. Have you tried a fresh restore and jailbreak again? Maybe even with the latest Absinthe jailbreak 2.0.4? Or did you use Sn0wbreeze?
I used Absinthe jailbreak 2.0.4. I read something about doing a hard rest or using iWipe. I'll try one the former than the latter.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Have you tried a Hard-Reset?

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I used Absinthe jailbreak 2.0.4. I read something about doing a hard rest or using iWipe. I'll try one the former than the latter.
Neither worked. Do I really have to do another restore and jailbreak? I had to install several Cydia apps that did not save with PKGBackup.