5.1.1 Untethered Jailbreak Now Available

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Neither worked. Do I really have to do another restore and jailbreak? I had to install several Cydia apps that did not save with PKGBackup.
Maybe try searching online for the main issue. This is the first I've heard of the issue. You could just write down the apps that you need to reinstall. Usually PKGBackup saves all from Cydia.

Your best bet is restore and re jailbreak to see If it was just a bad jailbreak.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Neither worked. Do I really have to do another restore and jailbreak? I had to install several Cydia apps that did not save with PKGBackup.
Go to SBSettings > More > System Wide Options > Hide Icons > Contacts and see if it's toggled off.

I hide that icon since the same features can be accessed through the Phone app. If it's not hidden, I wouldn't think it's worth restoring for (since you can access it from the phone app or Spotlight), but that's an option if you really want the icon.

Reactions: EverythingApple

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Go to SBSettings > More > System Wide Options > Hide Icons > Contacts and see if it's toggled off.

I hide that icon since the same features can be accessed through the Phone app. If it's not hidden, I wouldn't think it's worth restoring for (since you can access it from the phone app or Spotlight), but that's an option if you really want the icon.
Things like this irritate me! I have to have them fixed once I notice the problem or missing icons etc! :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Oh yeah, I just remembered the solution if it's not hidden through SBSettings. You shouldn't need restore to get it back. Try this instead:
Settings > General > Reset > Reset Home Screen Layout.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Wow, it's so nice to be jailbroken again! The process wasn't very smooth for me on Friday evening since I didn't want to erase everything on my iPhone first (I still made a back-up just in case). It took three tries before it finally worked.

I'm back to using LockInfo and I just discovered Messages+, which is fantastic. Unless Apple can completely replace these apps with new features in iOS 6, I'm going to stay jailbroken for good.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Of course! I actually didn't know of a reset homescreen layout! I rarely look at the reset page in settings now. :D
Yeah, I had nearly forgotten about that setting. It's been a while since I've seen a missing icon thread. It used to be a fairly common problem after jailbreaking.

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Yeah, I had nearly forgotten about that setting. It's been a while since I've seen a missing icon thread. It used to be a fairly common problem after jailbreaking.
I've never had the issue. Actually, this jailbreak was the first time I've had the white icon issues, or even YouTube having Facebook's icon or something similar.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey

I tried that already. It wasn't toggled off. I toggled it off, resprung and than toggled it back on and resprung, but neither worked. I going to try the reset home screen layout. I just hope it doesn't get rid of my folders.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've never had the issue. Actually, this jailbreak was the first time I've had the white icon issues, or even YouTube having Facebook's icon or something similar.
The white icon issue has been a problem since the first 5.0.1 jailbreak. Respringing or rebooting will fix it, but another option is to install iRetiner in Cydia. I just Respring.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Oh yeah, I just remembered the solution if it's not hidden through SBSettings. You shouldn't need restore to get it back. Try this instead:
Settings > General > Reset > Reset Home Screen Layout.
It worked, as it was in the Utilities Folder. Maybe it was there the whole time. How can I get it back? Can I do a restore from my backup of yesterday? All the apps are out of the folders. Maybe I just need to delete some of my apps.

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
The white icon issue has been a problem since the first 5.0.1 jailbreak. Reprings fix it, but another option is to install iRetiner in Cydia. I just Respring, though.
Interesting. I think the respring fixed it, as I haven't had anymore white icons. However, I am experiencing issues with iFile now. My lockscreen custom background gets reset to the black default background whenever I remove or add something in Cydia. Not every time, but for example I removed 'bars' which was a setting to help show accurate bars, and then lockscreen background went back to default in iFile.

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
It worked, as it was in the Utilities Folder. Maybe it was there the whole time. How can I get it back? Can I do a restore from my backup of yesterday? All the apps are out of the folders. Maybe I just need to delete some of my apps.
Doing a restore from backup usually just restores settings and such.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Interesting. I think the respring fixed it, as I haven't had anymore white icons. However, I am experiencing issues with iFile now. My lockscreen custom background gets reset to the black default background whenever I remove or add something in Cydia. Not every time, but for example I removed 'bars' which was a setting to help show accurate bars, and then lockscreen background went back to default in iFile.
It will likely happen again when you do a jailbreak system file update such as yesterday's Rocky Racoon update. It will randomly happen with Cydia installs and when theming.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You don't need to delete any apps to fix this. Do you use PkgBackup? I've heard it has a home screen layout restore function. Otherwise, just restore your backup.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That's unfortunate. But it doesn't take long to put the custom background back on, as long as I'm near my computer.
Occasional white icons that can be fixed by respringing doesn't bother me at all. It's one of the small prices we pay to have full-access to the file system.