5.1.1 Untethered Jailbreak Now Available

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
SBSettings>dock applications>fix blanks is the quickest way to fix the blank icons. Sometimes respringing didn't fix it for me.

May 30, 2012
SBSettings>dock applications>fix blanks is the quickest way to fix the blank icons. Sometimes respringing didn't fix it for me.
Respring actually has NEVER fixed blank icons for me. I'll try the SBSettings method.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I have been very impressed with the latest jailbreak. I finally had a chance to work on my phone yesterday. Even my battery life is better. Happy Guy today!

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I have been very impressed with the latest jailbreak. I finally had a chance to work on my phone yesterday. Even my battery life is better. Happy Guy today!
Glad to hear that! I'm happy the jailbreak was very smooth and you didn't have to do anything! Just press jailbreak and let it run! :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Is it just me or is this jailbreak noticeably faster than previous ones? I thought it was just my iPad since I did that first, but everything seems noticeably smoother on the iPhone as well. I know it usually starts out that way and gets worse, but I've seen no lagging yet. Cydia in particular seems much more responsive than it was <5.1.1.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Is it just me or is this jailbreak noticeably faster than previous ones? I thought it was just my iPad since I did that first, but everything seems noticeably smoother on the iPhone as well. I know it usually starts out that way and gets worse, but I've seen no lagging yet. Cydia in particular seems much more responsive than it was <5.1.1.
I agree. The jailbreak and Cydia was very smooth and still is. I'm able to search and install very quickly with no problems. The first 2-3 days is usually not good for Cydia, but it's much better now.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007

Mine has been smooth too. I am wondering if that will change as I add more and more things. But for right now. I'm very impressed. I only made one mistake during the jailbreak process, and it was completely my fault. I wasn't going to do this jailbreak, but I am really glad I did.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Free memory is much higher on average for me... about 40-50 MB more than on 5.0.1 if I had to guess. Overall performance improves as a result. Me likey.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Dave, how many tweak do you have running if any? One thing I've hated since day one, being jailbroken on 5.0.1, is low memory issues, even without running a theme.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Man, I took it down to the nitty gritty on 5.0.1 and I still had a memory hole somewhere that was the gateway to lag city. I've actually added more of my usuals back since 5.1.1 has been going so smoothly, and my free memory is still higher than it ever was.

I'm running

Activator
SBSettings
Lockinfo
RemoveBG
Springflash
Five column springboard
Five icon dock
Shrink
FakeClockUp
Infinifolders
Zephyr
3G unrestrictor

Cydia loads and refreshes in at least half the time it used to.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Man, I took it down to the nitty gritty on 5.0.1 and I still had a memory hole somewhere that was the gateway to lag city. I've actually added more of my usuals back since 5.1.1 has been going so smoothly, and my free memory is still higher than it ever was.

Cydia loads and refreshes pretty quickly for me. However, respringing and rebooting takes a significant amount of time. Is that normal?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Respring seems about the same on my iPhone 4... about 10-12 seconds. It's REALLY fast on the iPad... like 6 seconds. It does tend to hang on respring more often on the iPad, though.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Scratch that, I'm getting some longer ones on the iPhone. About 30-40 seconds.

IceCold357

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2009
I have experienced a better Free Memory issue with this JB also. Before I would always drop down to around 20-30MB while not really doing anything. Now I rarely get under 200MB.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey

I'm running

Activator
SBSettings
Lockinfo
RemoveBG
Springflash
Five column springboard
Five icon dock
Shrink
FakeClockUp
Infinifolders
Zephyr
3G unrestrictor

Me too. :thumbs up:

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA

I'm running

Activator
SBSettings
Lockinfo
RemoveBG
Springflash
Five column springboard
Five icon dock
Shrink
FakeClockUp
Infinifolders
Zephyr
3G unrestrictor

the only problem is the low memory, everything else is fine. Respring usually takes around 20 seconds and cydia refreshes around 10 or less. I'm debating if I should update and jailbreak again or not, we'll see.

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
I have finally joined the legions of satisfied 5.1.1 untethered jailbreakers.

Updated my 4S to 5.1.1 and jailbroke, which didn't take as long as I thought, seeing how I didn't clear my phone out first. Went swimmingly, until...

...I went against the advice of other members here and decided to use Aptbackup to restore my Cydia apps....big mistake. It hung on the loading screen, and when I cancelled it after about ten minutes, NOTHING was showing up in my Cydia. No sources, no essential files (including the oh-so-important Rocky Racoon file), nada, zip, zilch.

Admitting you get what you pay for with Aptbackup, I reluctantly restored to a fresh 5.1.1, rejailbroke, and spent an hour putting my Cydia apps and tweaks back on manually.

Like psylichon, I've also decided to run really lean this time. Theming is fun, but I'm firmly convinced there's a massive memory leak in Winterboard somewhere, and I'm kinda over it. It was fun while it lasted.

My newly condensed Cydia list:

Activator
Aero
biteSMS
FolderEnhancer
Gridlock
Infinidock
NoUpdate
SBSettings
Shrink
WeeKillBackground Pro

I have MyWi and 3GUnrestrictor purchased, but I haven't used either of them in so long (the latter due to data throttling), I'm not sure if I'll even bother.

Let's hope the battery life improves!

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I have finally joined the legions of satisfied 5.1.1 untethered jailbreakers.

Updated my 4S to 5.1.1 and jailbroke, which didn't take as long as I thought, seeing how I didn't clear my phone out first. Went swimmingly, until...

Let's hope the battery life improves!
Congratulations on the successful jailbreaking. I am doing the same thing you did. I went through manually and installed each tweak and app to make sure it was compatible and working properly. As far as paid apps, I'm not sure what to get. I don't want to spend an overly crazy amount of money. Any suggestions for must needed paid apps that are useful?