5.1 Barely Mentioned in Keynote?

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Hondamaker, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Anyone wonder why iOS 5.1 was barely mentioned during yesterday's keynote? No features were brought up, no nothing, just a mention that it would be available yesterday. Jobs would have brought up the new goodies as well as a report on the battery life fix.

Unless I missed it, then kindly disregard this post!

2. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

Must admit the battery life so far is brilliant. Just watched a 20 min video and it's still at 100%. Before it would now be around 83%

iHolophyte

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It didn't even drop 1% after twenty minutes of usage? Crap. I guess it still has battery calibration bugs. ;)

Just kidding. It sounds like the battery just needs to be calibrated. Let it drain down to 0% and power itself down. That will calibrate it and then you should see a more accurate estimate of remaining battery power. This often needs to be done after big firmware updates.

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I am a skeptic but don't think the new update will do anything for battery life.
    Some people have unreasonable expectations for battery life.
    30 minutes of usage per ten percent. Love it. Accept it.
    :)

5. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I get that this iOS update wasn't for the North American market. Now if you're in Japan, it's huge.

Minor items for my daily use.

I updated my 4 last night.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

6. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

That's awesome. My battery was always good, but maybe it'll be even better!

7. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

Update.

This was this morning but after watching a 20 min video and still at 100%

[​IMG]

This was taken as I got home and not using it all day other than looking at twitter for 15 minutes.

[​IMG]

Before you all chirp in yes I know Bluetooth is on. I use it for the TomTom in the car to give it access. So can't be bothered turning it on and off every time I get in and out of the car. So it stays on. But as you can see percentage was 76% so dropped by 24% over 9 hours 13 minutes.

Not sure if that's normal or not, but it was like this before so in reality nothing's changed with battery performance.

iHolophyte

8. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

I've never calibrated. But now you've mentioned it I'll try that. I had heard its not a good idea to power right down until it turns itself off but since you said it I'll do it. Thanks :D

iHolophyte

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't want to let it drain to zero and power itself down every day, but it's fine to do it occasionally. I try to let it do that about once a month.

10. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

Well as its now in writing if my battery gets ruined I'll come looking for you with my brief. :p (laughs out loud)

iHolophyte