5.1 Barely Mentioned in Keynote?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Anyone wonder why iOS 5.1 was barely mentioned during yesterday's keynote? No features were brought up, no nothing, just a mention that it would be available yesterday. Jobs would have brought up the new goodies as well as a report on the battery life fix.

Unless I missed it, then kindly disregard this post!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Must admit the battery life so far is brilliant. Just watched a 20 min video and it's still at 100%. Before it would now be around 83%
It didn't even drop 1% after twenty minutes of usage? Crap. I guess it still has battery calibration bugs. ;)

Just kidding. It sounds like the battery just needs to be calibrated. Let it drain down to 0% and power itself down. That will calibrate it and then you should see a more accurate estimate of remaining battery power. This often needs to be done after big firmware updates.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I am a skeptic but don't think the new update will do anything for battery life.
Some people have unreasonable expectations for battery life.
30 minutes of usage per ten percent. Love it. Accept it.
:)

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
I get that this iOS update wasn't for the North American market. Now if you're in Japan, it's huge.

Minor items for my daily use.

I updated my 4 last night.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

iHolophyte

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 19, 2012
Manchester UK
www.youtube.com
Update.

This was this morning but after watching a 20 min video and still at 100%

This was taken as I got home and not using it all day other than looking at twitter for 15 minutes.

Before you all chirp in yes I know Bluetooth is on. I use it for the TomTom in the car to give it access. So can't be bothered turning it on and off every time I get in and out of the car. So it stays on. But as you can see percentage was 76% so dropped by 24% over 9 hours 13 minutes.

Not sure if that's normal or not, but it was like this before so in reality nothing's changed with battery performance.

iHolophyte

iHolophyte

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 19, 2012
Manchester UK
www.youtube.com
It didn't even drop 1% after twenty minutes of usage? Crap. I guess it still has battery calibration bugs. ;)

Just kidding. It sounds like the battery just needs to be calibrated. Let it drain down to 0% and power itself down. That will calibrate it and then you should see a more accurate estimate of remaining battery power. This often needs to be done after big firmware updates.

I've never calibrated. But now you've mentioned it I'll try that. I had heard its not a good idea to power right down until it turns itself off but since you said it I'll do it. Thanks :D

iHolophyte

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've never calibrated. But now you've mentioned it I'll try that. I had heard its not a good idea to power right down until it turns itself off but since you said it I'll do it. Thanks :D
You don't want to let it drain to zero and power itself down every day, but it's fine to do it occasionally. I try to let it do that about once a month.