5:25 am - waiting outside Stonestown

lionqueen

Bronze
Aug 28, 2009
Beautiful San Francisco
Fourth time trying, and last time was really aggravating because the security guard screwed things up (long story). Anyway, from what i can tell im about 15th, so im crossing my fingers that ill get lucky this time. Right now im sat on cold concrete playing with my iPhone. Wish me luck?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Good Luck! 15th in line U should be okay! We're pullin' for you!

Team Lionqueen! Woot! Woot!

Play a few games on your phone and don't let the security guard mess you up again.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
3g- i have the first ipad wifi only, and it was ok most of the time, but i want to be able to get o/l without worrying if theres wifi around, especially when i travel.
I have been debating this for a while and the people here at the EIC have been amazingly helpful on this. I was gonig to get the WiFi version thinking I will more than likely only use it in my house because 99% of the places I travel to do not offer wifi. I don't go to the library, I don't hang out at Starbucs. My commutte is not long enough to use wifi on the train successfuly. I get wifi at the train station but I'm there all but 5 to 8 minutes and once on the train I cannot use the wifi at all. It's all choppy 3G.

My mom and my sister, the two households I visit frequently enough and will tote my iPad to when I go, do not have wifi.

At work, I have no access to Wifi it's all 3G. IT people at work are stingy and if i do get on their (the companies) network, they will be monitoring what I do on my own device. Not having that.

So it is pretty clear, that if I want to have outside access to my iPad internet service, I need the 3G version.

But then the 3G version has its drawbacks. It's slightly heavier, not a deal breaker. It's mic is muffled because of the extra plastic where the mic is that is where the 3G antenna is. The additional bill, unless I can tether the 3G signal through my iPhone 4. I am quite confused on that though. I know you can tether the WiFi, but I am not clear on if I can just use my iPhone 4 to tether my iPad for 3G and not get an additional bill. I am so confused on that.

I am guessing I will be having to pay a monthly fee for the 3G service and I will not be able to tether it from the iPhone 4.

When the confused blue smoke clears, I know I will be using my iPad out of my house and I will need the 3G one in order to do this, so I want to get the 3G version. (This is because my WiFi availability out of my house is super duper limited, unless my iPhone will magically become a WiFi device when there is no wifi available, but I don't think that's how that works.)

Let me know your thoughts on this.

(Yeah, I know I wrote another book! Sorry for the long post.)

lionqueen

Bronze
Aug 28, 2009
Beautiful San Francisco
The thing about tethering via jailbreak is that att has been sending mssgs to ppl doing that telling them they have to buy an att tethering plan. Personally i think 3g sounds best for you-it sounds like youd be using it a lot, especially at work.

Ive read conflicting things about the mic issue-some say its not that bad, not really noticeable. Would you use the mic a lot? Will you be using facetime?

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
Got my ticket for a 64 gig 3g white! Squeeeeeee.. Success! :)
How did you do this at 06:50 PST? Their website says the store does not open until 10AM. Maybe this is why I could not get one here in MD - I went to the store just before the website says they open, when in reality they open 3 hours earlier?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
The thing about tethering via jailbreak is that att has been sending mssgs to ppl doing that telling them they have to buy an att tethering plan. Personally i think 3g sounds best for you-it sounds like youd be using it a lot, especially at work.

Ive read conflicting things about the mic issue-some say its not that bad, not really noticeable. Would you use the mic a lot? Will you be using facetime?
Yes, I agree with you. I think a 3G device is best for me. I'll have to fork over the extra $ but It'l be worth it.

I would have to go the legal route for tethering, not the JB route. I have not JBrkn my phone and don't plan on it. I would just have a bill. I will have to live with that.

I would be facetiming as much as the other parties are willing to participate so probably not a whole lot so the Mic issue may be a non issue for me.

lionqueen

Bronze
Aug 28, 2009
Beautiful San Francisco
I cant speak for what other stores are doing, but at Apple Stonestown ppl start lining up between 4 and 5 am. At 7 am (tho they came out almost 15 mins early today) Apple employees come out and hand out tickets, which have printed on the exactly which configuration you want, subject to availability of course. Then at 8:15 am they start bringing us in in batches to make our purchases. You might want to call your Apple store to see what their procedure is :)

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
The additional bill, unless I can tether the 3G signal through my iPhone 4. I am quite confused on that though. I know you can tether the WiFi, but I am not clear on if I can just use my iPhone 4 to tether my iPad for 3G and not get an additional bill. I am so confused on that.

I am guessing I will be having to pay a monthly fee for the 3G service and I will not be able to tether it from the iPhone 4.
It is possible to jailbreak the iPhone and tether the iPad via the "MyWi" app. What this does is turn the iPhone into a wireless hotspot - where the iPhone's 3G network connection is shared with Wireless devices (like the iPad2). The devices don't need to have 3G for this to work, they can be WiFi only.

The downside is that AT&T is looking for this, presumably via "TTL" (the "Time To Live" value of each packet coming from the iPhone over the 3G network). Originating devices assign a "maximum TTL value" to packets bound for the network. Each "hop" in the chain decrements the TTL by one. So assuming they know the TTL value that an IOS device (like an iPhone or iPad) assigns when originating a packet, all they have to do is look for a packet with a TTL of something other than the expected value.

The tethered iPad would originate packets with the same value as the iPhone, but as they pass through the iPhone their TTL gets decremented by one - and this means you are tethering.

A fix would be to determine what value is assigned to TTL by IOS (some say it is 64, but I'd like to see this for myself), and then increase it by one on the iPad. Then when that value gets decremented by the iPhone, it looks like that packet originated on the iPhone rather than on a tethered device.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
I cant speak for what other stores are doing, but at Apple Stonestown ppl start lining up between 4 and 5 am. At 7 am (tho they came out almost 15 mins early today) Apple employees come out and hand out tickets, which have printed on the exactly which configuration you want, subject to availability of course. Then at 8:15 am they start bringing us in in batches to make our purchases. You might want to call your Apple store to see what their procedure is :)
Thanks, I'll call them and ask. My wife's iPad2 (ordered at 04:45 EST on the 11th) will be arriving on the 24th. I want to get a second one for me, but online delivery is now 5 weeks out!

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
I called two mall stores and a standalone store in my area. The malls sound like losing propositions. The mall doors open at 7, and there is probably a mad dash from multiple doors to the storefront. Whoever gets there first gets vouchers at about 8:45 for any stock that happened to come in. Then at 9 they let those folks in in groups to buy the items. So one would probably need to bring running shoes to have any chance of being one of the chosen few. :)

The standalone store said they did not issue vouchers. They just let folks in at 9AM. So it would be possible to camp out early, maybe 4 or 5 - but then there might be no stock that day, or the stock they received might not include a 64Gig/3G unit. I just don't think I am ready for that sort of abuse.