5.5" iPhone 6 Case Mockup Compared to iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, May 14, 2014.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

If the story from nowhere.fr is true, this thing is huge. This thing looks like Godzilla next to the Geico Gecko.

The translated link to the nowhereelse.fr article is here.

iPhone-6-5-5-3D.jpg iPhone-6-5-5-3D03.jpg iPhone-6-5-5-3D09.jpg iPhone-6-5-5-3D08.jpg

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'd feel ridiculous holding that phone up to my ear. It's gargantuan. You know, I've always liked that word... "gargantuan"... I so rarely have an opportunity to use it in a sentence.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I saw the movie. And yes, I missed the reference. I'm stupid.

MV5BMTkxMTQ4MTE5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTg5OTcxMQ@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

For people who wanted an iPad as phone, the 5.5-inch iPhone 6.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

laugh.jpg

6. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Hate it. Too big. :(

7. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

5.5 seems a little bit on the excessive side. We'll have to break out the old MC Hammer pants to get a pocket big enough to put it in.

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I can hang with that.

tumblr_inline_my2ek12Evc1sv5umq.jpg

9. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Enough with that skinny jeans crap, time to bring those back in style. You can fit your iPhone, iPad and Macbook in those suckers and still have room left over to hit a good Vegas buffet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

HOLY FRIGGIN SMOKES NAPS!

I casually clicked on this thread and scrolled down looking at the size of the hidious iPhone 6 5.5" mock up and when my screen came upon Mc Hammer in those Hammer Pants I started laughing out loud! No, really LOLing so all could hear me. Not many are in now so it's cool! I'm at work. EWW!

Naps! Thank you for the laugh this morning. I really needed it!

Thank you so much!

#10 Sharunda, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  11. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

It's no surprise an iPhone forum is mocking a phablet sized iPhone (with very few excpetions.) One reason many of you are here is because you like tiny devices.

Also, placing any device underneath the miniscule iPhone will make it look ridiculous.

LG managed to stuff a 5.5 inch screen in a body about the size of the S5 for its upcoming G3. That mockup doesn't even have to be that big (LG's device is over 10mm shorter and 5mm less wide than this mockup) unless you expect Apple to maintain giant bezels.

So, you basically have an oversized mockup underlying the smallest smartphone on the market (at least for any flagship devices.) Not a very good comparison at all.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Many people are here because they like Apple and iOS, not because they like small phones. You'd be surprised how many of them are planning of upgrading to a larger iPhone.

It's the perfect size comparison. The iPhone is what most of us here are used to. Comparing it to a SGS4 wouldn't be as relevant for us.

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm not sure insulting our members is the best way to go about things, but whatever.

Personally, I want a larger iPhone. I'd have no compunction about buying a 5.5" iPhone 6. A lot of other folks want a larger iPhone. And from my experience on several Android forums, quite a few Android users would come back to the iPhone if only it had a larger screen.

14. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

I wasn't trying to insult anyone. There's nothing wrong with liking a small phone. If it sounded weird on the Internet then I apologize.

But, for a lot of people here and in the Apple community in general, one handed use seems to be very important, so I'm not surprised to see negative reactions to an iPhone phablet.

15. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

All I'm saying your perception of a phablet may be skewed by your familiarity and comfortability of having an iPhone for a while.

My second point which is much more important is that the mockup shown is simply massive. It doesn't have to be anywhere near that big to house a 5.5 inch screen and LG has already shown that with their upcoming G3 which is about the same size as the S5.

Overlay an iPhone on top of an S5 and then you'll get a more accurate idea of what an Apple phablet should look like. Unless Apple maintains massive bezels, which in that case, I wouldn't buy it either (and I love big screens.)

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Having owned an HTC One, I obviously don't value one-handed use very highly. Others may disagree. :)

17. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Still one of @chris 's favorite words... Phablet ;)

18. carolineBonnita

carolineBonnita New Member

Hummm. i still prefer small screen

19. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

That thing is MASSIVE! Is it bigger than the SGS5 or HTC One M8? Either way, it's massive...

Sent from my iPad using iCafe Forums

20. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

This one looks like the Samsung Galaxy Mega! While there is a lot of chatter about folks wanting Apple to actually stick to the current 5/5s dimensions, it looks to me like the iPhone 6 at 4.7" will be the biggest iPhone upgrade (no pun intended) ever. Sales of the 5s were huge - much bigger than most analysts figured - and showed the pent up demand for "the next great thing" from Cupertino. I'm betting the larger iPhone will smash all previous records. And for those folks who want the older form factor Apple will be offering the 5s for a while too, right along side of the 6.