5/5s bulge vulnerability?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Rafagon, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I had this issue on my 5, and today I noticed it is starting on my 5s: the phone bulges outward at the center ever so slightly, so that right where the SIM tray is, it is starting to separate from the screen.

The only explanation that makes any sense is that the case is gripping it too tightly and forcing it to curve that way, little by little.

I had an Otterbox with the 5, but now I'm using the Speck CandyShell case on my 5s. They both wrap around the iPhone very tightly, to it is conceivable that it's slowly causing the phone to curve inwards.

Any ideas or suggestions? Besides the obvious, which I have already done—stopped using the case until I determine what's causing this.

#1 Rafagon, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Are you sure you don't have an iPhone 6 with the curved screen?:) If a case is causing the screen and/or phone to bend, I'd question the manufacturing of the iPhone, at least your particular iPhone. No case or 'squeezing' should causing the center to bulge out.

Mind sharing a photo of it?

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I've had an iPhone 5 in an Otterbox Defender for 6 months, and no bulging. I thought that only happened when carried in a back pocket.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've never had this happen. I don't see how a case could cause it. It sounds like both phones were either defective or it is the result of cumulative stress such as back pocket carrying as mentioned above.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

So it must be something I'm doing—something I also did with my iPhone 5.

DSC03753.JPG DSC03754.JPG DSC03755.JPG

It becomes more noticeable when I press down on one side, as you can see.

I never use my back pockets... :(

The Speck case exhibits similar curvature:

DSC03757.JPG

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I only use the front pocket, but I'll stop using *it* as well. Just in case...

Before I make it worse!

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Carrying it in your front pocket wouldn't cause this - everyone does that.

8. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Ok. How many of you took your phone out of the case to check it? I did. No abnormality found. I use a Magpul field case and mine stays in my front pocket.

Do you hold it in landscape a lot? Like when gaming?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

In other words: Are you gaming so hard that you are bending your phone but forgot to mention it? :p

10. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

My niece had that happen. It was her battery getting hot and expanding. Just separated that glass at the screen's edge. It was a defective battery.

Target

Sent from iPhone 5 using The New iCafe app

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Nope, that's definitely not it. I'm not a big gamer. The only game that requires landscape that I played for any significant amount of time was Angry Birds Go!, for about two or three weeks, before I got tired of it. I launched the game anyhow, just now, to see how I hold the phone for gameplay, and it does not involve any forces that could possibly result in the phone getting bent.

The only game I play on a regular and on-going basis is Words With Friends...

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I was thinking of that as a possibility earlier. I'm probably a little paranoid, but that would scare me. I had a portable battery charger that was just over a year old when it started making a quiet buzzing sound. It still worked great, but I immediately threw it away because I didn't want to have to worry about it exploding. My dad has shown me some of his RC airplane batteries that have expanded, and I guess he still uses them since he didn't throw them away, but I wouldn't chance it.

@Rafagon I'd have Apple check it out and let you know if it's the battery. They'll replace it for free either way.

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Seems odd he'd have 2 phones with a battery that causes the phone to bend.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I was leaning towards something he was doing at first as well since it does seem unlikely that two in a row would have defective batteries, but it is possible. Lithium-ion polymer batteries have lots of folded layers and when they expand inside an electronic device, they push up on the screen and other hardware unevenly giving it a bent appearance. The expansion is not repairable.

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Definitely worth checking out.

16. naimmkassim

naimmkassim New Member

Did OP keep the ip where heat can absorb to the ip? Car dashboard maybe during driving to work etc? If its become daily, sure heat from the sun to the ip can cause it expand and bend..just my theory..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you for your input:) the OP rarely exposes his IP to sunlight. The OP and his IP are almost always indoors.