5ghz 802.11N w/4S

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by dinosaur1, Nov 24, 2011.

1. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member
    Silver

Will the 4S work in this type of network or just the 2.4ghz? If not I should buy a router that can have 2.4ghz and 5 ghz on at the same time correct?

2. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

Most of those type of routers are backward compatable to 2.4 Gz G band. If so, the iPhone will work.

3. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

You can connect to either 2.4GHz or 5GHz. I have both networks at home and my iPhone 4s is currently connected to my 5GHz network.

4. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member
    Silver

the Netgear n600 I bought has simultaneous dual band 2.4 and 5ghz. How do I know which one my iPhone 4S is connected to?

5. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

You can open Settings and look at the Wi-Fi section. It should display the name of the network to which you are connected. I have my two networks differentiated by naming them slightly differently:

5XE51
    5XE51 5GHz

While your router may allow dual simultaneous connections, I don't think the iPhone is capable of dual connections.

6. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

The iPhone is only capable of 2.4GHz WiFi. It has neither 5GHz nor dual band capabilities.

7. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

nope the iPhone 4S just like the iPad 2 can find the 5GHz frequency. And dual band just means 2.4 and 5 GHz can exist simultaneously on the router but of course no device can connect to both at the same time.

8. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

If you will scroll down to the section entitled Cellular and Wireless, you will see that at least Apple believes that the iPhone 4S is 802.11n 2.4GHz only:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

It will work on 5GHz because it is backwards compatible. The iPhone cannot operate at 5GHz.

9. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Oh sorry my bad, I don't actually have the iPhone 4s so ignore my comment above. You know your stuff Lon.

10. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

My iPhone 4s is connected to my 5GHz network right now.

11. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

It is connected because the 5GHz network is backwards compatible with 2.4GHz. Your signal is operating at 2.4GHz as that is all the iPhone can do.

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Hi, I have an iPhone 3GS, and it cannot even see my 5GHz network... I'm forced to connect it to the 2.4GHz network I set up (on my dual-band router). My question is, do I have to connect my iMac to the 2.4GHz network in order for the iPhone to "see" the iMac, for things like WiFi syncing and to have the iPhone function as a remote via the "Remote" app?

13. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

I would think at least initially during set up you need both on the 2.4 ghz network. I use a remote app to control my roku, and when I set it up, everything needed to be on the 2.4 ghz because the roku didn't have 5ghz available. But then I switched my iPad 2 to the 5ghz network and the remote app is able to communicate with my roku just fine. You may have a different experience but best bet is to give it a shot yourself and find out.