5s Battery Drain Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by tvdc, Oct 30, 2013.

1. tvdc

tvdc Member
    Bronze

It's in the news that Apple are recalling a number of handsets because of battery drain issues.

Not exactly been blown away by my battery life since getting my new handset; does anyone know how you know whether or not your phone is affected?

Sent using iCafe app

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Off topic somewhat, well not off topic, just a different device. I feel that my iPhone 5 could be affected! I woke up this morning at 9:30 to 77%. 3-4 hours later it is at 20%. This is not normal for my iPhone.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, it would have terrible battery life and take longer than it should to charge.

#3 Europa, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  4. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Background app refresh is a HUGE drain on the battery. I only have Weather enabled and it made a big difference in my battery life.

Sent using iCafe app

5. tvdc

tvdc Member
    Bronze

Thanks for that accurate info.

Like I said, I've not been at all impressed with my new battery. I switched from a 2 year old 4s, which had a diminishing battery for the last few months and my new 5s is no better.

But, like I originally asked, does know how exactly you or Apple will be establishing which handsets are affected?

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple will run some battery tests on it. You just have to take it in if you suspect that your battery is bad. Does it take a lot longer to charge than the previous iPhones you have owned and does it drain a lot faster?

#6 Europa, Oct 30, 2013
  7. tvdc

tvdc Member
    Bronze

Apple is replacing a limited number of iPhone 5S smartphones after their owners reported that their batteries were draining far more quickly than expected.
    The handset went on sale on 20 September with improved battery life – up to 10 hours talk time and 250 hours on standby – one of its selling points. Some early buyers clearly got far less than they were bargaining for.
    "We recently discovered a manufacturing issue affecting a very limited number of iPhone 5S devices that could cause the battery to take longer to charge or result in reduced battery life," Apple spokesperson Teresa Brewer told the New York Times. "We are reaching out to customers with affected phones and will provide them with a replacement phone."
    The report suggests that the fault affects "a few thousand phones", although Apple has given no exact figure. The NYT also stresses that the issue is not defective batteries, as in Apple's 2006 recall of some MacBook Pro laptops.
    Apple is not the only smartphone maker suffering battery woes in 2013. Earlier in October, Samsung announced a trade-in programme for batteries in its flagship Galaxy S4 Android smartphone, after users reported similar issues of battery drain.
    "We are aware of this issue, which has affected a limited number of customers," said Samsung at the time in a statement. "We ask all affected customers to please visit their nearest Samsung Electronics service centre, where they can receive a replacement battery for free of charge."
    The coming weeks will show just how limited Apple's iPhone 5S problem is. The handset has been selling strongly, with Counterpoint Research telling the Guardian that it was the best-selling smartphone in the US in September, despite only being available for the last 10 days of the month.
    Apple sold 9m iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C smartphones in their opening weekend, but did not break down that figure between the two handsets. Research firm Mixpanel has suggested that the 5S is outselling the 5C by just under 4:1 globally.

#7 tvdc, Oct 30, 2013
  8. hikos

hikos New Member

It's quite normal to the earlier produced stage's iPhone. Luckily Apple reacts great on it, they recall them and resent them.

9. tvdc

tvdc Member
    Bronze

So Apple will contact owners who have a faulty phone. That's good to know.

Sent using iCafe app

10. blastewitz

blastewitz Member
    Bronze

I have a slight issue with mine but not entirely sure. Every now and then after having my iPhone on charge throughout the night, it takes me about 2 minutes to get downstairs and by that time my battery drops down 3 percent. Would that be an issue with battery? And I'm a bit puzzled about charge time as well. How long an iPhone 5s should take to fully charge to 100 %. Thank you !

Sent using my iPhone 4S