5s vs. 5 noticeable differences?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I read where the black screen seems darker somehow. I think it was someone here on the eiC who mentioned that the screen seemed darker to them.

I saw my co-workers iPhone 5s today and it looked so good. The Space Gray is a handsome color. Apple did a good job with it. I know I'll love mine when I get it.

The speakers louder!? That will be a plus for me. I

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
The 5S is louder. I thought maybe life proof made improvements to the case which they did say. I tossed my early production black few and got a new teal one for 40 from AT&T cause they were half off.

I guess maybe its a combo of both

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I didn't see much to make me switch. Played with it yesterday at the Apple store and left with no doubt that I'm gonna pass this one and wait for the 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Last edited by a moderator:

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I didn't see much to make me switch. Played with it yesterday at the Apple store and left with no doubt that I'm gonna pass this one and wait for the 6.
Benchmarks show it's right at twice as fast as the 5, but from comparisons I've seen it really only shows it's true speed on games and such. Yeah boot up times are a bit faster and you may get a web page to load few milliseconds faster, but I agree with ya @Bennyboy

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Benchmarks show it's right at twice as fast as the 5, but from comparisons I've seen it really only shows it's true speed on games and such. Yeah boot up times are a bit faster and you may get a web page to load few milliseconds faster, but I agree with ya @Bennyboy
That doesn't matter much to me, I don't play games and the 5 is fast enough to compete with any phone out there. If I would've noticed a difference in the camera I might have considered the switch, I can get 500 for my unlocked iPhone so it's not a money issue and a year from now it might still be worth around $300 so I can upgrade for free, or Keep both. For now all I know is that I'm happy where I'm at.

Prozium12

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 22, 2012
Uk,Manchester
Me too I had a play with the 5s and of course it's gonna be a bit quicker than the 5 but I will be waiting and sticking with my 5 as the new iOS has given it a boost plus I've got the black and slate and still no marks or scuffs! I'm pretty pleased with that when I see some of my friends black ip5 I wonder if Apple sorted that little problem out on the space grey(is it called)..

Sent using iCafe app

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I truly have not noticed much different either outside of Touch ID, which is minimal. I believe that is faster because I'm told that, but for my use it seems the same.

Only reason I upgraded is because I'm able to every year due to an extra line on my account never needing a new phone. So it's a "why not" situation.

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
No one has mentioned the camera
Is it not that much more ?

The camera was the only reason that I was considering replacing the ip5

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
No one has mentioned the camera
Is it not that much more ?

The camera was the only reason that I was considering replacing the ip5
I think good photographers have to start using the 5s before we get credible opinions on the camera. I'm not listening to the opinions of Joe Bumbleshutter down the street as the definitive word on the camera.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I'm not a photographer but I really wanted to try the camera in low light, I think any difference we can see it there, and didn't find any apps on the 5S installed that let me play with focus and exposure. Btw I forgot to check on the 5S, does it have that option stock? Just out of curiosity.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm not a photographer but I really wanted to try the camera in low light, I think any difference we can see it there, and didn't find any apps on the 5S installed that let me play with focus and exposure. Btw I forgot to check on the 5S, does it have that option stock? Just out of curiosity.
You're not a photographer?! Um...I've seen your instagram. You are definitely a good photographer. Your pics are amazing. (y)

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
Side by side with my 5, I can see a marked difference between the screens. The 5s is definitely brighter and clearer, it's also much cooler than my 5 was, this one is closer to that of my 4S

Sent from something made by Apple!

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Side by side with my 5, I can see a marked difference between the screens. The 5s is definitely brighter and clearer, it's also much cooler than my 5 was, this one is closer to that of my 4S

Sent from something made by Apple!
It is brighter. I saw a difference between my 5 and my coworkers 5s screen. I thought it was just because his was new but I had my brightness up so it should have looked equal but it didn't.

Sent using iCafe app