60% of calls dropping in Bay Area

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 4, 2007
Is anyone else from the Bay Area (peninsula) and having this problem? I can not continue to use this phone with this horrible level of service. Metro PCS was 1000% more reliable than AT&T, and that's pathetic!

The AT&T store told me I needed to return my phone for a new one at the Apple Store, without really troubleshooting anything. I'm not excited about swapping for a brand new phone, hassle of moving address book, mp3s, etc... if they aren't sure this isn't a NETWORK problem.

Anyone have any pointers?

mogz

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
SF
I live in downtown SF and has no problem at all with reception.

Crystal clear!

It might be your phone...

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
I have a college friend who lives in the oakland area (brentwood) and his reception was always awful with cingular. Just look at att's coverage map and you'll see it is less then impressive for the west coast.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
actually west coast coverage is fantastic. my reception has been good but lately call quality has sucked....

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Which Bay Area?

You should be a little more specific when referring to Bay Area, but I gathered from the replies that you meant SF. I haven't had any problems there at all, in fact I get better reception there than in the Tampa Bay area. (which is also a peninsula and also on the west coast!) I do find however that the Edge network in SF seems slower than what I get in Florida.
Is there any way to test the phone itself? Maybe take it to AT&T store or Apple Store to see if there's any tests they can do. I've had great service at the ATT store corner of Market and 3rd.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
You should be a little more specific when referring to Bay Area, but I gathered from the replies that you meant SF. I haven't had any problems there at all, in fact I get better reception there than in the Tampa Bay area. (which is also a peninsula and also on the west coast!) I do find however that the Edge network in SF seems slower than what I get in Florida.
Is there any way to test the phone itself? Maybe take it to AT&T store or Apple Store to see if there's any tests they can do. I've had great service at the ATT store corner of Market and 3rd.

Everything is crystal clear in Savannah,GA. ...and I don't mean in the African plains or in Russia but here in the United States on this here planet called Earth. :p

Matt Random

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I haven't had a single dropped call yet. I live in Dublin (Tri-Valley) and commute to San Jose across 580 and down 680. I find the reception and the quality to be much better than what I was getting with Sprint.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I live in the country, in the east, in an area of marginal coverage but have had att for several years cause they (ok so of was Cingular actually) were the best of the lot. So for a same-network comparison I can unequivocally tell u that the iPhone sucks compared to my first gen razr it replaced. About half my calls drop now and the convos in the other half are dominated by the words What? You're breaking up! Didn't used to happen with the Moto. I love the iPhone but some days its easier than others to do so.

Jul 4, 2007
yes, san francisco is what i meant, and 280 is where i drop more calls, but it happens everywhere all the time.

@leeladisky --- interesting that you cured this by trading in your phone, as that's what has been suggested as a solution, but i dread going through that.

Last edited by a moderator:

slingshot110

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
SF, CA
jasonfnorth, i am a little unsure why you have such reservations about trading in the phone? all of the content is still on your computer right? the only loss will be the time spent exchanging the phone and resyncing the data. best case, the problems are resolved and you have no more dropped calls. worst case, you spent a little bit of your time to rule out the fact that the phone wasn't the cause of your drops - but at least you'll have a shiny new phone. am i missing something?