6s and 6s Plus fare "surprisingly well" in waterproof test

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Rafagon, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I wouldn't recommend anyone attempt to replicate this experiment, but 9to5Mac tells the tale of one Zach Straley, who tried to send a rose gold iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus to an early [water] grave.

Surprisingly, both devices appeared to be performing… ahem, swimmingly… after spending a whole hour under water.

You can enjoy the article and the embedded video here.

2. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

...but if you do, PLEASE SHARE YOUR VIDEO AS WELL!!!

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Skimmed the video. I didn't noticed him test the only thing I was curious about - the speakers. Apple has been coating the parts and making iPhones water resistant since at least the iPhone 5. They just don't advertise it since they would then be liable for it. The iPhone 5 fared fine in the rain and quick submersions. 30 minutes in water would often cause problems with a portion of the screen or maybe the speakers on the 5. The 5s and 6 typically did fine with long submersions and had no damage. An hour or more on the 6s is pretty impressive. I'd still use a waterproof case if I was going to take it swimming or diving, but damage from short dunks in water is and has been pretty unlikely for quite a while now.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They've been making them water resistant since the 5, with improvements each year. This year's could have easily been marketed as water resistant, but they still choose not to. No problems after one hour submerged without the ports plugged is seriously impressive.

7. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

The stats on replacements/repairs due to water damage must be pretty significant if they're putting in the engineering effort and manufacturing cost of extra sealing.

Sounds like this guy got a lucky break though with his phones surviving an hour in the water. I saw the ringer switch go off on one of them, so it's not completely OK