6s and 6s Plus fare "surprisingly well" in waterproof test

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Skimmed the video. I didn't noticed him test the only thing I was curious about - the speakers. Apple has been coating the parts and making iPhones water resistant since at least the iPhone 5. They just don't advertise it since they would then be liable for it. The iPhone 5 fared fine in the rain and quick submersions. 30 minutes in water would often cause problems with a portion of the screen or maybe the speakers on the 5. The 5s and 6 typically did fine with long submersions and had no damage. An hour or more on the 6s is pretty impressive. I'd still use a waterproof case if I was going to take it swimming or diving, but damage from short dunks in water is and has been pretty unlikely for quite a while now.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Great! They're practicing for the iPhone 7. And it looks like they've done pretty good, according to those videos.
They've been making them water resistant since the 5, with improvements each year. This year's could have easily been marketed as water resistant, but they still choose not to. No problems after one hour submerged without the ports plugged is seriously impressive.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
The stats on replacements/repairs due to water damage must be pretty significant if they're putting in the engineering effort and manufacturing cost of extra sealing.

Sounds like this guy got a lucky break though with his phones surviving an hour in the water. I saw the ringer switch go off on one of them, so it's not completely OK