6s touch ID doesn't work when plugged in

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by larryeckels, Jan 21, 2016.

1. larryeckels

larryeckels New Member

Phone 6s touch id doesn't work when charging on a grounded outlet. Touch ID does work if charging on ungrounded outlet or unplugged. Apple store replaced the front panel. Took it home with same result. Apple sent me a new Iphone 6s. After setting up the phone said there was a system update to 9.2.1.. I did the update. So far everything was working well, including touch id. The next day I plugged the phone into a grounded connector. No touck id. Unplugged it. Have touch ID. Same exact problem I had to beging with, with a completely different Iphone 6s. Apple doesn't seem to know what to do about it. Anybody have any sane ideas?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Are you using an Apple power adapter and charging cord? Is it connected to a wall outlet or a surge protector? If you're using a surge protector, have you tried a different one and does it work when connected directly to a wall outlet?

3. larryeckels

larryeckels New Member

Apple adapter and cord plugged directly into a grounded outlet. No surge protector, and I have tried another Apple adapter

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try it after removing your case. If you're using an Apple case, use your other hand to touch the aluminum at the bottom of the phone at the same time as using the Touch ID.

5. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I'd suggest try training/over-training your preferred finger(s) while your phone is connected that way. There may just be enough variability to make a difference. I over-train by using my preferred finger(s) at differing angles. Each touch/train should like up the indicator thereby letting your know that your digit was recognized.
    YMMV

#5 MrMike6by9, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not an incorrect recognition problem. Touch ID doesn't register a scan at all with this. I found a few threads on it on other forums and here. It's as if they aren't even touching it. Removing the case or touching the metal with the other hand got it to register the scan for many of them.