6x zoom for iPhone camera

Jan 26, 2008
Sorry,but that is the most ridiculous I have ever thing,,messing up with such a beautiful work of art like that....not UBER at all. Is bigger than the phone itself..

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
I think if you're going to put this much hardware on your phone, it should at least incorporate a Flash while it's at it.

I like getting the most out of my hardware, and although this does look a little unorthodox, it's come up with a great solution for what I've been using as a Zoom lens for my iPhone:

I used to use this for my Casio WQV 1, 2 and 3. It's more of a "Why? Because I Can" sort of thing, but its cool none the less.

Anyway, I have to hold it up to the lens after centering it, and THEN hold my hand perfectly still :p I was looking for a way to mount it temporarily, or was thinking of putting notch in the rubber eyepiece to make an asymmetrical shape so it doesn't move around. However, after reading this thread I've got a better idea of what I need to do now :)

My mod is going to just use the backplate of an old belkin case i got as a gift. I figured I'd use it to display my iPhone in landscape while watchin a movie or something, but that day has never arrived so off to the chopping block it goes :D

If anyone is even remotely interested in doing a mod like this, I'd recommend just going with the product listed in this thread. The mini monocular runs nearly 20 bux after shipping, and the belkin case is another 20 bux. If I didn't already have the parts I would have ordered the zoom lens here like yesterday.

Optical > Digital

---

Edit

Alright, I went ahead and ordered this anyway. I'm thinking of just hacksawing the back case in half so all I'd have to do is hold it to the phone for a quick shot and then throw the lens and half backplate back into my pocket. The backplate will keep the lens from moving around when taking a shot, as well as line up your zoom lens with the camera lens without having to manually line them up -- this is great for taking shots in the moment.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Sorry,but that is the most ridiculous I have ever thing,,messing up with such a beautiful work of art like that....not UBER at all. Is bigger than the phone itself..
I ordered one. For $20, there's not much to lose, considering I don't care about my dignity. I really doubt that the zoomed pictures will be more than big blurry versions of themselves. I'll report on the outcome and post a few pics.
For the weak of heart, I have no intention of leaving that thing permanently attached to my iPhone.

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
I ordered one. For $20, there's not much to lose, considering I don't care about my dignity. I really doubt that the zoomed pictures will be more than big blurry versions of themselves. I'll report on the outcome and post a few pics.
For the weak of heart, I have no intention of leaving that thing permanently attached to my iPhone.
I would give you serious bonus points for leaving it on AND using the lanyard around your neck.

Bonus points indeed...

Oh man just had an idea, I'd like to try this myself on Sunset the next time I go to the Viper Room, only top this little number off with a "I'm a Mac" shirt :D

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Alright I just got mine in the post, a quick few impressions are... well, you get what you pay for ;)

Its a bit tricky, seems its difficult to get a steady shot with all the added gear.

I'll make a new post/review and link to it when done.