7 Confessions of a Cingular Sales Rep (or how to get an iPhone for less $$$)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

pwb503

Apr 28, 2007
In case you missed it I thought I should point out this thread over at the consumerist where a former Cingular (AT&T) customer service rep explains all the details on how to save the most money when obtaining new service or extending the service you got.

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
Sorry, but that isn't going to work. Sales reps and their managers cannot and will not just pull out any phone price out of their hind quarters. There are preset discounts for certain choices. If you choose to sign a 2 year contract, you get $150 off retail for your phone (unless you're still early in your contract, in which case you get $75 off). Sign up for a MEdia package and you may get additional instant or mail-in rebates. Some regions have additional policies for people in certain circumstances, but "I wanna iPhone and I'm not paying $500 for it" will get you laughed at.

As of now there are no concrete facts about iPhone pricing beyond the $499/$599 pricing. In other words, you may not get any dscount for a contract, like the RAZR originally was. It will be "Want an iPhone? Sign a 2 year agreement and fork over $500 plus sales tax." There will only be 12 devices per store in the first shipment. Those will be gone in 2 days at most. Additional shipments will trickle in for a while afterward. With that kind of scarcity, reps will save it for people not jerking them around.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Sorry, but that isn't going to work. Sales reps and their managers cannot and will not just pull out any phone price out of their hind quarters. There are preset discounts for certain choices. If you choose to sign a 2 year contract, you get $150 off retail for your phone (unless you're still early in your contract, in which case you get $75 off). Sign up for a MEdia package and you may get additional instant or mail-in rebates. Some regions have additional policies for people in certain circumstances, but "I wanna iPhone and I'm not paying $500 for it" will get you laughed at.

As of now there are no concrete facts about iPhone pricing beyond the $499/$599 pricing. In other words, you may not get any dscount for a contract, like the RAZR originally was. It will be "Want an iPhone? Sign a 2 year agreement and fork over $500 plus sales tax." There will only be 12 devices per store in the first shipment. Those will be gone in 2 days at most. Additional shipments will trickle in for a while afterward. With that kind of scarcity, reps will save it for people not jerking them around.
Where did you pull that 12 per store from?

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
::thud:: There goes the 1M launch production.
That's launch production, not initial shipment. Two different things. There's roughly 5000 AT&T and Apple stores combined, take that number and divide 1 million by it you're getting 200 phones per store. There's no way in hell a single AT&T store (beyond a few select high traffic locations) would get that many devices in one shipment. Hell, most stores couldn't even fit 200 phones in their entire stockroom.

Apple stores, well, I don't know how big their stockrooms are.

Now, if there will be 1 million devices ready at or around launch, that's a very good thing. It means stores will get shipments fairly quickly after D-Day, unlike recent launches (like the Jawbone bluetooth) where stores would sell their stock out and remain out for weeks. However, they're not comming at once. There will be disappointed people one Day 1.

All he said was that it was from "someone who shouldn't have told me." Even as an AT&T employee, this could be anyone. As we've seen, even insider tips can prove unreliable...

-K
Believe me or not, your call. It's not like what I've said here or what you believe will actually change anything the company does. I'm just giving out what information I have to people enthusiastically waiting for this exciting new device. I've seen the phone, I think it's cool, but I'm not going to get one. I'm a Motorola person myself and I'm holding my bucks for the HSDPA version of the RAZR2.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
That's launch production, not initial shipment. Two different things. There's roughly 5000 AT&T and Apple stores combined, take that number and divide 1 million by it you're getting 200 phones per store. There's no way in hell a single AT&T store (beyond a few select high traffic locations) would get that many devices in one shipment. Hell, most stores couldn't even fit 200 phones in their entire stockroom.

That's been my contention all along. I don't see how 1M will be available on launch day.

I thought there were 2000 combined corporate ATT/Cingular and Apple stores, not 5K?

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
I think it's around 4500 (I threw in a couple hundred Apple stores (Idon't think they have that many but I'm being generous for argument's sake) and rounded it up to an even 5,000), but the lower the number of stores, the more absurd the idea of 1 million devices being in stock on launch day becomes.

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007
This 7 confessions thing is mostly true from my several years of experience with Cingular. Except the last $20 unlimited connect option, which I haven't tried firsthand, but I've certainly heard it works from a lot of people. Just fyi...

Mar 30, 2007
LA
This 7 confessions thing is mostly true from my several years of experience with Cingular. Except the last $20 unlimited connect option, which I haven't tried firsthand, but I've certainly heard it works from a lot of people. Just fyi...
I missed something. What's the last $20 unlimited connect option?

nvenice

May 31, 2007
under a rock

Now, if there will be 1 million devices ready at or around launch, that's a very good thing. It means stores will get shipments fairly quickly after D-Day, unlike recent launches (like the Jawbone bluetooth) where stores would sell their stock out and remain out for weeks. However, they're not comming at once. There will be disappointed people one Day 1.

Believe me or not, your call. It's not like what I've said here or what you believe will actually change anything the company does. I'm just giving out what information I have to people enthusiastically waiting for this exciting new device. I've seen the phone, I think it's cool, but I'm not going to get one. I'm a Motorola person myself and I'm holding my bucks for the HSDPA version of the RAZR2.
Okay, so after reading this and pondering it for a few minutes, it feels like pretty good news. I mean, in a major market like LA or NY shipping shouldn't be more than an overnight affair, right? All I need is that nifty little number in my hands within a few days of launch - some tasty waves and a cool buzz...

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007
I missed something. What's the last $20 unlimited connect option?
There is something like MediaMax unlimited for $20 which is unlimited connection to wap.cingular.com (not isp.cingular.com) - some have said that is enough to connect to the real internet (as long as your phone supports it, which of course the iPhone does), and thus you don't need the $40 PDA unlimited connect option. I have never tried that myself. So we'll have to see if that's true at all...