8.1.1 TaiG Jailbreak Released

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Europa, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

http://www.taig.com/
    TaiG just released a jailbreak that works on 8.0 - 8.1.1 as well as the 8.2 beta. It hasn't been translated to English yet and there is only a Windows version available right now. I have read some user reports that there is no malware bundled in the download, but it's still highly recommended that you wait until Saurik and MuscleNerd confirm that it is safe and does not have any malware embedded. Apparently, there is a Chinese piracy store that will install, but you have the option of not installing it if you uncheck the box next to it during the jailbreak process.

As you might remember, TaiG paid evad3rs a while back to bundle a Chinese piracy store on one of their jailbreaks in 2013. TaiG and Pangu are competitors. Right after Pangu released their jailbreak last month, one of their members tweeted "We beat Taig." This tweet was immediately deleted.

If you're feeling gutsy and want to test it out right now, make sure you are on a full version of iOS (not an OTA update) and have disabled your passcode lock and Find My iPhone.

Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 1.29.15 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 1.29.23 AM.png

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

There is something bundled in with the jailbreak, not tried it myself but according to the guys over at iDB...
    image.jpg
    So whether or not this is the crap they bundled last time I reckon it's probably worth un-checking this box. (As Europa mentioned in the OP)

Worth noting also that quite a lot of the existing tweaks and Cydia apps are working on iOS 8.1.1 - obviously check first before upgrading ;)

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, you'll definitely want to uncheck that box. Later versions of this jailbreak will likely have it removed, but for now we'll need to unselect it.

4. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

I'm thinking seriously about jumping back into the jailbreak scene (I am currently running 8.1.1), but this one scares me. I think I'll wait until some mainstream sites have the jailbrake available.

Mindy - On a side note, would you know of a jailbrake app that would allow me to automatically turn off my work email every weekday afternoon and turn it back on every weekday morning?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Here is a rough translation of the TaiG tutorial page that was written by illusionmist on r/jailbreak.

Translations of the guides provided by TaiG. Proceed with caution as the jailbreak is still new.

1. Preparation before jailbreaking

• Back up. Back up. Back up. emphasis mine
    • Turn off passcode: Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > Turn Passcode Off
    • Turn off Find My iPhone: Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone
    1.5. Avoid weird stuff (suggestion mine)

On on this screen I strongly advise you uncheck the second checkbox that would've install a "3K Helper".

2. "Storage Almost Full" message

This is due to the files necessary for jailbreak getting written in system directories. After jailbroken, launch Cydia, let it set up, and then it's all good.

3. Jailbreak failed on system updated via OTA

Back up your data. Do a full restore to iOS 8.1.1 via iTunes and try jailbreak again.

4. Jailbreak tool cannot locate the device

Remove and plug in your iDevice again. Install iTunes if you haven't. Make sure "Apple Mobile Device" service is not disabled (for Windows).

5. Jailbreak tool found multiple devices

Don't have multiple iDevices connected during the jailbreak. If you've got many of them to jailbreak, plug in another after one is done jailbreaking.

6. Jailbreak tool says you have to trust the device

Unlock your iDevice and tap on "Trust" when prompted.

7. Jailbreak tool says you have to turn off passcode and Find My iPhone

Do it.

8. Jailbreak failed with error code -100x

• -1001 device disconnected: Don't do anything on your device during the jailbreak and keep it plugged in. Use certified cables.
    • -1002 device is password protected: Turn off your passcode.
    • -1003 data corrupted: Re-download the jailbreak tool from taig.com and make sure you have a good connection.
    • -1004 jailbreak failed: Caused by problems on your iDevice. Quit all background apps and try again. Restore your iDevice and try again if it still won't work.
    • -1005 device has Find My iPhone turned on: Turn off Find My iPhone.
    • -1006 device has already been jailbroken: What are you thinking.
    • -1007 device is not activated: Activate your iDevice and try again.
    9. Can I jailbreak again after I jailbreak?

Yo dawg. Please don't do this. If you want to start anew, restore first, and then jailbreak.

10. Enjoy

The few of them left I don't find important. Sauce here and here. Enjoy!

(Btw I got nothing to do with TaiG. Just some guy.) -illusionmist

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

TaiG is updated from v1.0 to v1.0.1 for a better user experience.

Updates:
    1. Improves jailbreaking speed
    2. Fixes an issue of bootloop during jailbreaking for some iPhone 4S users

As far as I know, it's still not working on the 8.2 beta.

7. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

OK, so I went ahead and Jailbroke 8.1.1. It's been many years since I've jailbroken an iPhone and I've spent quite a bit of time today searching Cydia for anything that might peak my interest. Unfortunately, I have yet to find anything of interest to me. It just feels like iOS 8 includes everything I ever jailbroke for in the past and that jailbraking now is a waste of time, to me anyway :eek: I can't even find any themes that I care for. Does anyone have any really cool themes that they use that are iOS 8 compatible?

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Now that we have some basic toggle control which SBSettings was famed for, one of my favourite tweaks has to be 3GUnrestrictor and Chrome/Safari Downloader. I can download anything I want from the Internet and from the App Store. There are plenty more tweaks but I could go on ;)

There is always a reason to jailbreak. I bet if you showed a non-tech savvy person a list of tweaks and descriptions I guarantee there will be one tweak on there which strikes interest, after all jailbreaking is about customisation and making the user-experience better because finished product is exactly how the consumer wants it.

9. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Couldn't find that one anywhere. Does it have another name?

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Sorry for the confusion, the names of the Cydia apps are - Safari Downloader+ and Chrome Downloader+. I use both browsers on iOS and like the ability to download stuff. They're both paid apps, I think $3.00 each? You'll find them in the BigBoss repo.

11. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

The 8.1.1 jail brake continues to operate flawlessly on my 6+. I've spent many hours perusing available Cydia tweaks and have found some that I really like. Here they are:

Barrel
    betterFiveIconDock
    LockGlyph
    ShowCase
    VolumeNotifier

It sure is fun to be jail broken again ;)

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using iCafe Forums

#11 Apple4me, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  12. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

LockGlyph is probably my new favourite tweak, it just looks like it's been designed by Apple. The developer has been really helpful as well. I asked him a few questions over email and he got back to my promptly and since then he's pushed a few nice updates. Barrel is another good tweak, again Apple should really create something like this for stock iOS, seems stupid not to.

13. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Seems like the TaiG page is down... nothing is coming up for me.

14. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Ayecon
    3 4 All - currently using
    TouchIt iOS8
    Simply ios8

15. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Well, I decided to try this TAIG thing out. I had my old IP5 and it was on IOS7 still. I was planning on updating it then using Pangu but to my dismay, Pangu doesn't work on 8.1.1. I normally do this from my Mac but since there's not a version for Mac yet I decided to try it on my parallels version of Windows 8.

The software downloaded fine but when I ran it there was a BIG red "X" and there was something in Chinese that pointed to a iTunes link. I assumed that it was telling me I didn't have iTunes installed. (which I didn't), So I installed and ran it again. This time It started doing stuff until it reached the page with the two checkboxes. I unchecked the second box (as per instructions here) and everything went through just fine.

I was happy to see Cydia sitting on my home page again. I've installed Sprintomize 3, Infinidock and Ayecon. I'm pleased to announce the birth of a bouncing baby jailbroken iPhone 5. :) Thanks for all the info here.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I followed Europa's advice and updated (not restored) from 8.1 to 8.1.1 and used the TaiG jailbreak. Everything went swimmingly and the jailbreak is working great. What a time saver.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

I thought it was easier since I restored as a new phone and had nothing on it that could corrupt or stop working. It looks really nice now. I've done this while setting up my christmas tree. Lol.

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Both methods work. I just thought I'd try the update option and it's working fine for me.

20. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

That's cool. My iPhone 6 is on 8.1 and it's nice to know that I "could" just do an update if I wanted to. I think I'll sit right here on my main phone though. The TAIG thing I didn't mind doing on my old, deactivated phone.