8 More iPhone tricks you might not have known

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Didn't know 2 and 3 but 7 was old hat to me as I was really into adding favorite sites to my homescreen. Eventually it became hard to distinguish one from another. In the iPhone's early days it was very hit and miss that the webmaster would have actually created an apple-touch-icon. I eventually figured that one out on my own.

Steveo 90

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
thanks,didn't know about 7

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
What the author didn't explain about #7 is that every time you launch that shortcut on the home page, it's going to zoom you into that same spot on the webpage every time where you got the image. Sure, it makes your home screen look prettier with a zoomed-in picture of the logo, but from a functional standpoint, it's a total waste and could make navigation more cumbersome. IMO, a more useful feature is when you have a text field that you need to fill in on a page every time.

Example: I have to log on to my bank's website every time I want to access my online banking service. Using the same concept as #7, I created an icon for my home screen that takes me right to the text field where I type in my username on my bank's home page. It's much easier than just launching the home page and then having to zoom in on the text field every time.

The easiest way to do it is as follows:

1. Launch the website where you always type into a specific text field (your username for your bank's website or something like that).

2. Click in the text field to launch the keyboard.

3. Without typing anything into the text field, click "Done" to close the keyboard.

4. Tap the "+" on the bottom of the screen.

5. Click "Add to Home Screen."

The next time you launch that shortcut from your home screen, it will immediately take you to that text field, and you can just tap and get started typing without having to zoom in on it.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
What the author didn't explain about #7 is that every time you launch that shortcut on the home page, it's going to zoom you into that same spot on the webpage every time where you got the image. Sure, it makes your home screen look prettier with a zoomed-in picture of the logo, but from a functional standpoint, it's a total waste and could make navigation more cumbersome. IMO, a more useful feature is when you have a text field that you need to fill in on a page every time.
field every time.

I thought this at first too..but if you wait for the page to completely load (blue bar at top turns white) then it renders the complete page and not just the zoomed in logo.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
I thought this at first too..but if you wait for the page to completely load (blue bar at top turns white) then it renders the complete page and not just the zoomed in logo.
It obviously renders the whole page. The point is that when you launch the shortcut, it zooms you in directly to that image rather than showing you the whole page. If you want to see content on the rest of the page, you have to zoom back out or scroll to find it. IMO, the benefit of having a more stylish shortcut icon is outweighed by the inconvenience of having that shortcut take me directly to the zoomed in logo.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
I didn't know one of them! The more I know about my phone the better! Thanks for the post bro!

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I didn't know one of them! The more I know about my phone the better! Thanks for the post bro!
Your welcome ic, I thought I knew all the tips since I had an iPhone for over a year, so these surprised me, I'm learning new stuff about it all the time.
My next learning experience will be to jailbreak my v1... That should be fun.

And to Doron, thanks, that's another great tip.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
There was a similar post on here made about the capabilities of the iPhone headphones.. but this one was better because it had 8 extra tips. I'm on Team AKnightsTale. Haha.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
...or you can always put the phone in 'airplane mode' before syncing...calls go straight to voicemail, and any texts you get will pop up when you turn 'airplane mode' off...i think this is quicker than taking the time to take the sim card out

you're quite welcome knightstale-

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Instead of #3, can't you just put your phone in airplane mode?

And isn't really screwed up that Apple wouldn't already know that they would have people calling while the phone was backing up? Come on! How can you not see this coming?

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
True, SmartAlx. But there's a solution for it, so I'm happy with it :D

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
It's hardly a solution if I can't use my phone for an hour while it backs up/syncs. I'd expect to be able to answer calls via bluetooth at least while it's syncing.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
Backing up doesn't take long for my phone at all. At most, it takes around 5 minutes.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
How long does it take to upload a 3 hour movie? When you have to restore your iPhone because of the problems we've been having, we have to put everything back on the phone. Then we have to put 8gb, or 16gb of music, videos, and apps back onto the phone. That takes longer than 5 minutes, especially if it involves a backup.

And so what if it only takes 5 minutes. Shoot! Even if it takes 1 minute, I still need it to operate as a cellphone while it's syncing. Who knows when an important phone call is going to come in. Apple should have had a way to deal with incoming calls while it's syncing.

They seem to have forgotten that this is a cellphone first, and an iPod second.