8 vs 16

Feb 4, 2008
i just bought a 8 gig iPhone 6 days ago..is there any other difference between the two besides the memory...and if I do the switch do I have to setup up the new iPhone from scracth like all my contacts etc.....thank you

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
i just bought a 8 gig iPhone 6 days ago..is there any other difference between the two besides the memory...and if I do the switch do I have to setup up the new iPhone from scracth like all my contacts etc.....thank you
memory is the only difference between the two. But, if you back up all your contacts, etc. to iTunes you should not have to set up your phone from scratch. just connect the iPhone to iTunes and everything will be there as it was in your old phone.

Just make sure your current iPhone is running 1.1.3 when you make a backup because the new 16GB phones are running 1.1.3. If you try to restore your backup that was 1.1.2 or earlier, the new iPhone won't be able to use that backup.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Yup....unless you aren't running a stock and locked 8GB with 1.1.3. If that's the case...then you can't do a restore from your old backup.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Just make sure your current iPhone is running 1.1.3 when you make a backup because the new 16GB phones are running 1.1.3. If you try to restore your backup that was 1.1.2 or earlier, the new iPhone won't be able to use that backup.

good point i forgot to mention that...assumed because his/her iPhone was only a few days old it was 1.1.3 but there definitely are some 1.1.2 phones still out there in the AT&T stores.

Feb 4, 2008
It is updated to the latest version and its locked.....so then I should just pay the restocking fee and the extra 100 now I guess since I have the option to upgrade still.

It is updated to the latest version and its locked.....so then I should just pay the restocking fee and the extra 100 now I guess since I have the option to upgrade still.
Yes all should be fine.

When you get the new iPhone, you have two ways to get the new one going:

Put the sim in the new phone and restore it. You can then restore the data from the old backup once the restore is complete

Or

Activate the new phone in iTunes telling iTunes that you are replacing your current phone with the new one. This way, you need to keep the sim that the new phone came with in the phone to activate it. It will tell you that you are starting a new two year contract but you really aren't. That message is just standard in the AT&T signup agreement.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
BTW, if you return to the AT&T store, they won't even check to see if the SIM is in the phone. Just let the battery run dead in case they turn it on.

But really, if you are only 14 days into your contract, don't bother. I went through the normal activation process, gave it my AT&T phone number, my phone was activated in minutes just like last time. Then I did a full restore from my old 8gb backup....back in businesss but with twice the memory.

Hey, for those who have the 16....my screen is noticeably better than it was on my 8GB units. The first 8G iPhone had a dead proximity sensor, and my second one looked a bit washed out. But this is very crisp. Anyone else notice any difference?

Runamuck, I don't think there is any difference in the screens between my 8GB and my new 16GB. LCD screen versions are identical. To check this yourself, dial *3001#12345#*
on your phone and hit the versions section at the bottom. You may be just noticing slightly better colors because the 16GB is brand new.

__DorkSterr

Bronze
Jan 20, 2008
Is there a difference in thickness between the 8 and 16?.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
LCD: 7520768

My 8GB phone was less than 2 weeks old when I returned it, so don't think that's it. But that was my second iPhone in 2 weeks...had to have Apple replace it as the first had a broken proximity sensor (screen wouldn't turn off).

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Hex,

Other new 16G owners on the Apple support forums are also reporting "richer, warmer color" tones from the 16G units. No real way to compare visuals unless you've got one side by side with an 8GB unit, but I'm wondering if Apple fixed that "negative black" issue I've seen reported in these unites?

Hex,

Other new 16G owners on the Apple support forums are also reporting "richer, warmer color" tones from the 16G units. No real way to compare visuals unless you've got one side by side with an 8GB unit, but I'm wondering if Apple fixed that "negative black" issue I've seen reported in these unites?
I have two 8GB iPhones and one 16GB phone sitting here side by side. Looking at the same desktop on each and there is no difference in any of them colorwise or sharpness.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I have two 8GB iPhones and one 16GB phone sitting here side by side. Looking at the same desktop on each and there is no difference in any of them colorwise or sharpness.
So all three of yours have the negative black issue? Or all three of yours don't?

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
memory is the only difference between the two. But, if you back up all your contacts, etc. to iTunes you should not have to set up your phone from scratch. just connect the iPhone to iTunes and everything will be there as it was in your old phone.

that's good news right there...

Feb 4, 2008
ok I just came back from the Apple store and I did the upgrade and they took out my old sim and put into the new phone....one of the other employees asked him why he is doing that and he said its now policy that was sent down for what its worth. Also I just plugged into iTunes and everything flowed over flawlessly...

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
ok I just came back from the Apple store and I did the upgrade and they took out my old sim and put into the new phone....one of the other employees asked him why he is doing that and he said its now policy that was sent down for what its worth. Also I just plugged into iTunes and everything flowed over flawlessly...

ok...i would think that would be ideal...but this guy in another thread said somethn totally different...i think that's the issue, can i use my current sim with my upgrade...