8GB iPhone 5c possibly launching tomorrow

Discussion in 'iPhone 5C' started by Rafagon, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

An article (Google's attempt at translation) at Caschys Blog claims an 8GB edition of the iPhone 5c will launch tomorrow.

You can find the original German here.

8GB? Really? 2008 just called, and it wants its phone back. But I guess it makes a decent second phone which you can use to handle those shady transactions that are best kept off your spouse's radar.

Unknown.jpeg

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

chris.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

A lot of people I know don't use 8GB. They just Facebook, email, and surf.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

But iOS 8.0 might take up damn near 8GB, what with all the awesome new stock apps it's gonna come with and all... :D

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's a bad idea to go that low. They will be set for storage space management problems for the duration of the device. I know a few people with 8 GB iPhones and they all regret going that low. They can't keep any music on their phones and instead have to stream music through Pandora, etc. They have to clear out texts every so often and watch how many pictures they keep stored on the phone. They only have about 5 GB to work with. If they are using even 3 GB of of that space, they can't do OTA updates because they require 2 GB free.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Apps are getting larger in size as well. When I first got Facebook 2 years ago, it was about 23 mb. Now it's 107 mb. This seems to be a trend with many apps. Especially since iOS 7. I'm beginning to see that 16 gb may not be enough.

7. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

It's a good and bad thing. The larger the size in the app, often the more features that are included but sometimes developers put a lot of extra "bulk" into the app and then you just have bloatware.

8. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Isn't this what folks were expecting from the 5c originally? A cheap model to capture the low end of the consumer market? The 5c bombed as far as sales are concerned when it debuted in spite of Apple's hyping the heck out of it. This one could be huge in the developing markets.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

10. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The iPhone 5c, 8GB edition, became a reality yesterday, but you've been left shivering out in the freezing cold completely naked unless you're in the UK.png UK, France.png France, Germany.png Germany, Australia.png Australia, or China.png China.

The iPhone 5C 8GB model is priced at £429 in the UK (around £40 less than the 16GB model), according to Apple, b*tch!

The prices in the other countries are as follows:

France, 559€
    Germany, 549€
    Australia, A$ 679
    China, ¥4,088

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

They hardly cut the price enough to make it worthwhile.

13. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

That pricing AGAIN misses the boat if Apple has any intention of capturing the mid- and low-cost segment of the market. Maybe their marketing research is telling them something different, but from a layman's perspective this is yet another fail for the 5c.

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It appears this 8 gb thingy is targeting a handful of foreign countries, including China.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

True. Apple isn't targeting the US market (which is quite a bit different, BTW).

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

A friend of mine I believe said has an older iPhone but it's 8GB, and he still has over a 1,000 songs and a few apps, much more than I thought 5-6GB could handle.

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

He must not have many apps or photos.

18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I see. I don't keep many photos on my iPhone 5, but I have roughly 20 of my own apps, so 6GB would not work for me. That would just be insane to have to deal with.

When I first got the iPhone, I wasn't sure what to get size wise. But 16GB has been nice to me.

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I had an 8 gb iPhone 4. It was down to below 1 gb when I upgraded to the 16 gb 5. To manage 6.3 gb, one has to be content with less of everything.

20. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I just checked my iPhone 5, 16GB and I have 2.6GB left.