8GB iPhone 5c possibly launching tomorrow

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
A friend of mine I believe said has an older iPhone but it's 8GB, and he still has over a 1,000 songs and a few apps, much more than I thought 5-6GB could handle.
They are probably low bit rate songs (lower quality) that are about 1/3 the size of songs downloaded through iTunes.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
They are probably low bit rate songs (lower quality) that are about 1/3 the size of songs downloaded through iTunes.
I see. That is most likely the reason then. Anyways, is there any information out yet about sales for the 5C 8GB?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Seems like common sense to me. I've never understood all the "failure" reports. Of course it's not going to sell anywhere near as well as the updated model. It has old specs. Not a single person with the iPhone 5 should have been interested in it from an upgrade standpoint. The target buyers are those with old iPhones or Androids that don't need or can't afford the top of the line model. If they hadn't repackaged the 5 into the 5c and instead continued to sell the 5 to the same target group, we would have seen similar sales numbers but nobody would have called it a "failure."

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Seems like common sense to me. I've never understood all the "failure" reports. Of course it's not going to sell anywhere near as well as the updated model. It has old specs. Not a single person with the iPhone 5 should have been interested in it from an upgrade standpoint. The target buyers are those with old iPhones or Androids that don't need or can't afford the top of the line model. If they hadn't repackaged the 5 into the 5c and instead continued to sell the 5 to the same target group, we would have seen similar sales numbers but nobody would have called it a "failure."
Yeah, I know.

"Hey, the 5c didn't sell as well as the 5s."

"Duh, really?!"

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
As much as I enjoy music (I have 266GB worth of MP3's, yes GB's) for me, an 8GB iPhone would be about as useful as a screen door in a submarine. 8GB probably wouldn't be enough for even my apps.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
As much as I enjoy music (I have 266GB worth of MP3's, yes GB's) for me, an 8GB iPhone would be about as useful as a screen door in a submarine. 8GB probably wouldn't be enough for even my apps.
With a huge collection of music, I wonder how many of those songs you actually listen to or if most of your music is full albums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I have a couple gigabytes worth of music and that is a good amount of listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
My tastes in music is all over the musical map. Anything from the 40's through the 80's, pop , country, rock, jazz and blues but there is much I have beyond that. What I stumbled upon was a radio station's entire archive of music from the early 1940's through 2003 when the station went belly up. Probably 1/3 to 1/2 of it is "The best of" or "Greatest hits of" and the rest is full albums and box sets. I only have about 40GB of it on my phone or iPad at any one time but do switch it around every so often as my mood dictates.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
My tastes in music is all over the musical map. Anything from the 40's through the 80's, pop , country, rock, jazz and blues but there is much I have beyond that. What I stumbled upon was a radio station's entire archive of music from the early 1940's through 2003 when the station went belly up. Probably 1/3 to 1/2 of it is "The best of" or "Greatest hits of" and the rest is full albums and box sets. I only have about 40GB of it on my phone or iPad at any one time but do switch it around every so often as my mood dictates.
40 gb of music on your phone? Listening to every song non stop back to back would take roughly 13 days. If you listened for 1 hour a day, it would take you 303 days to hear each song. I thought I'd put that in perspective. :D

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I just checked and I lied, I only have 32 GB of music on the phone. I guess I'm just trying to be prepared for whatever my musical needs happen to be at any one time

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I just checked and I lied, I only have 32 GB of music on the phone. I guess I'm just trying to be prepared for whatever my musical needs happen to be at any one time
Nothing wrong with that if you have the space for it. My next iPhone will have more space than the 16 gb 5 I have. But I'll keep a cap of about 500 or so songs on it at any given time. I'll just switch them out in iTunes from time to time. I've got to where I don't listen to music much, except in the car.