8gb vs. 16gb - any thoughts?

cheonast

Jan 5, 2009
I'm about to purchase an iPhone 3G but don't know which model to buy. I don't have a particularly large iTunes library, and don't see myself watching many videos; however, I'll be doing a lot of reading and also listening to audiobooks, and I'll probably load a lot of reference materials. Is it the case here that bigger is better? Much better, if so? The price differential gives me pause.... Any thoughts?

mernst

Silver
Jul 11, 2007
Gulfport, Ms
like me... I saved the money and went with the 8 gig one...

justahsquirrel

Silver
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
I'm about to purchase an iPhone 3G but don't know which model to buy. I don't have a particularly large iTunes library, and don't see myself watching many videos; however, I'll be doing a lot of reading and also listening to audiobooks, and I'll probably load a lot of reference materials. Is it the case here that bigger is better? Much better, if so? The price differential gives me pause.... Any thoughts?
hey if have the cash, get the larger model and be done with it. But if your wallet can only afford the 8GB...then so be it. audiobooks do pack a large file size so you may want to consider the larger model. Apps do take up room also. on my 16GB iPhone, i have 800mb just in apps....

good luck with you decision.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
The right answer for you depends entirely on your situation of course. But ... I'd also lean towards get the larger if you possibly can - certainly if you plan to keep the iPhone for a long stretch and feel as if your audio / photo / video / apps collections may grow considerably during the time you own it ...

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The right answer for you depends entirely on your situation of course. But ... I'd also lean towards get the larger if you possibly can - certainly if you plan to keep the iPhone for a long stretch and feel as if your audio / photo / video / apps collections may grow considerably during the time you own it ...
Can't say it much better. Audiobooks do eat up space, so if you plan on keeping several on the phone at one time I would consider the 16gb.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
how many audiobooks can you listen to at one time?

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Having a larger one is better than having one that's too small

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Go large, you seldom if ever complain about having to much memory but just be caught short the one time you need it and you will regret not getting the 16g.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
better to much than not enough, if you can afford it get the 16 gig phone

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, i say as long as you don't mind syncing a bit more often to shuffle around the media, go for the 8GB. doesn't sound like the things you will use it for should take up too much of it.

cheonast

Jan 5, 2009
Thank you one and all. Baby can stand to lose a few pounds & I can "forget" to sign the mortgage check: so: I'll go for the 16gb (& cross my fingers in hopes that Apple doesn't announce a 32gb at the same price precisely 31 days after my purchase!)

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
I know if the next iPhone comes out then i'm going to get the 16gig rather than the 8. But that's only if the next iPhone has mms and a video recorder.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I got the 16 so I could get white. I never really ran out of room on the 8, but now I only have 2GB of free space - and I'm no longer jailbroken. I have over a gig in apps.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I've got a lot more media than I have space for on my 16 GB and I would definitely like at least 32 GB. I would say go for 16 GB just in case.

BoomerFZ1

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
I went with the 8gb and I'm really happy with the size. If you're not a big traveler and you'll be able to sync your joint regularly, 8 is plenty. I have about 80gb of music I used to tote around on several different large capacity players and I realized that most of that stuff was just sitting there. Another reason I'm good with 8 is the sheer number of streaming radio apps and the like. Between these and my daily podcasts, my music library gets little play. Now, all that said, I'll agree with these knuckleheads here...bigger is always better! :-P

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
When my V1 died, I was out of warranty and had to upgrade to a 3G. I thought about it for a while and decided that 16 GB offers more opportunity for apps and media than the 8GB. With the 8GB, I always had 2 GB free. With the 16GB, I have 6GB free, but it's slowly disappearing.

Honestly, if you can afford the space- get it as you will eventually use it.

I would go for the 16GB one. Some of the audio books can take up quite a lot of space, and the applications as well. If you are planning to keep it for quite a while, go for the 16GB one. I have a 16GB one and it's very useful for me.

Darryl

Jan 5, 2009
For me the 16gb is even too small as I cannot download my entire iTunes library. I am sure there will eventually be a 32gb model. Probably soon since I just bought a 16gb.

Go bigger, you'll use it up quicker than you think.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I know everyone's needs are different but if I had it to do all over again I'd just go with an 8GB. Sure its nice to have all your media with you on the go, but I've never come close to filling up my 8GB. I can only listen to/watch so much media at one time. I'd actually do the practical thing and keep the extra $100 and if that money was just burning a hole in my pocket I'd either use it to buy apps or a nice set of headphones.