9/11/2011

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
A decade later...it's still just as hard to watch. I'm watching Dateline NBC and already crying :(

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
A few photos from our Follow the Flag Ceremony. The flag is now currently on it's way back to New York and will be displayed at the memorial.

ImageUploadedByiCafe1315698042.100731.jpg
ImageUploadedByiCafe1315698059.813481.jpg
ImageUploadedByiCafe1315698079.430436.jpg
ImageUploadedByiCafe1315698096.253842.jpg
ImageUploadedByiCafe1315698114.068836.jpg
ImageUploadedByiCafe1315698128.902294.jpg

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I stayed out of this thread, mainly because I was dreading this 10 year anniversary. I know it's hard for many, but as a NYer, I fear that it may be the hardest for us. It was the day that changed our city, forever. It was a day that I think about constantly. I don't need a 10 year anniversary to think about it. It's forever in my head. It was a day that lead to weeks of fear. Fear of not knowing when the next hit was going to happen or where it was going to happen. I'll never forget that day. It felt like planes were falling out of the sky everywhere. There was no control. There was nothing we could do but wait and hear where the next one hit. The weeks that followed created an amazing sense of patriotism in this country as well. Where everyone banded together to show we were proud to be American. I didn't realize on that day that I would never watch a movie the same way or cross a bridge with quite the same security. If a movie was made before 2001, and takes place in NY, I look for the WTC. If it was made after 2001, I notice its absence. I drive across the GWB and think to myself "That's where it would be." I drive across a bridge and become suspicious of vans and trucks. Even though I know it's safe, there is always a part of me that will fear those types of cars, especially driving over a bridge. It was a day where I lost people I knew. My best friend's father-in-law was killed. No remains were ever found. It haunted the papers in NY for almost a year and a half after the attacks. There was always an article somewhere about 9/11. It never went away.
I can honestly say I'm having a very difficult time handling this 10 year anniversary. The feelings are all coming back. The intense fear I felt on that day and the weeks after is rushing back to me and I don't like those feelings. I'm feeling very out of control and I haven't watched any of the t.v. shows documenting this day. I can honestly say, I wish this day would pass and tomorrow will dawn a new day.
I will never forget the day my home changed forever or the day my life changed forever.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
FlwrPwr.. Thank you for telling your story. I was so far removed from this terrible tragedy, only receiving images and stories from online or the TV. I can't imagine what it must have been like for people like yourself who lived closer to the epicenter of this horrific day. It is very understandable that after 10 years it still has such an impact on your life.

Reactions: FlwrPwer

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I stayed out of this thread, mainly because I was dreading this 10 year anniversary. I know it's hard for many, but as a NYer, I fear that it may be the hardest for us. It was the day that changed our city, forever. It was a day that I think about constantly. I don't need a 10 year anniversary to think about it. It's forever in my head. It was a day that lead to weeks of fear. Fear of not knowing when the next hit was going to happen or where it was going to happen. I'll never forget that day. It felt like planes were falling out of the sky everywhere. There was no control. There was nothing we could do but wait and hear where the next one hit. The weeks that followed created an amazing sense of patriotism in this country as well. Where everyone banded together to show we were proud to be American. I didn't realize on that day that I would never watch a movie the same way or cross a bridge with quite the same security. If a movie was made before 2001, and takes place in NY, I look for the WTC. If it was made after 2001, I notice its absence. I drive across the GWB and think to myself "That's where it would be." I drive across a bridge and become suspicious of vans and trucks. Even though I know it's safe, there is always a part of me that will fear those types of cars, especially driving over a bridge. It was a day where I lost people I knew. My best friend's father-in-law was killed. No remains were ever found. It haunted the papers in NY for almost a year and a half after the attacks. There was always an article somewhere about 9/11. It never went away.
I can honestly say I'm having a very difficult time handling this 10 year anniversary. The feelings are all coming back. The intense fear I felt on that day and the weeks after is rushing back to me and I don't like those feelings. I'm feeling very out of control and I haven't watched any of the t.v. shows documenting this day. I can honestly say, I wish this day would pass and tomorrow will dawn a new day.
I will never forget the day my home changed forever or the day my life changed forever.
I'm with you, Karen. It still hits me so hard, as if I was a New Yorker myself. I get as choked up and angry today as I did 10 years ago. Let's all hope this never, ever happens again.

Reactions: J-94 and FlwrPwer

J-94

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 7, 2011
Watched the ABC special so moving, at the end they have a video collection to this song called "i was here". It was written by Diane Warren, in honor of the 9/11 victims, and performed by Beyonce. I hadnt heard the song until today, it perfectly honors the victims. Big ups to ABC, Dianne Warren, and Beyonce