Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by itsamikey, Feb 8, 2013.

1. itsamikey

itsamikey New Member

I was shocked to find out that Siri won't call 911! Is there a work around? Can I have a contact called emergency with 911 for the number, or will it not dial a 3 digit number.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I just tested Siri by telling her to "Call 411" which is basically a phone book for businessses etc. She called the number. If you are still unable to get her to call 911 by saying "Call 911" you can set a contact called "Emergency", and put the phone number as 911. I tested it, but with 411.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

According to this source and also this source, Siri cannot dial 911.

Note that the second link I provided above will require logging in, in order to view the page. However, I've taken a snapshop of the screen to allow you to circumvent this requirement if you should prefer not logging in.

photo.JPG

MoneyMaker79 's workaround may work, however...

UPDATE:

Siri will not call 911 even if you add a contact with that number. Michelle tried it; however, newer versions of iOS have been released since her testing, which may produce different results.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Interesting. I don't think I want to test it out though. Too risky.

Sent using iCafe app

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Just tested it. She refused to call and then spit in my face.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1360705246.559519.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1360705257.742904.jpg

6. AmandaKess

AmandaKess Member
    Bronze

Wow..I guess it's to avoid false calls.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I don't see why Apple provides an Emergency Call option via their iOS software that bypasses the Passcode Lock, anyways. It would take a bona-fide owner of the iPhone in question four extra taps on numbers to type in their password lock (assuming they are using the Simple Passcode option), right before dialing 911 (or whatever the digits for an emergency call are in their country). One can assume that an authorized user of the cell phone in question is quite adept at tapping those four extra numbers that they've designated as their Passcode speedily enough to dial "911" after tapping out four numbers on the keypad.

If someone has stolen a cell phone, should they even have the right to make an Emergency Call? It's a freakin' stolen iPhone. Why should they even have access to any life-saving measures provided by an Emergency Call? The certainly aren't worthy of it.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If someone steals my iPhone and they suddenly find themselves in an emergency, I would certainly not want them using my stolen iPhone to call 911 and save their pathetic life.

9. JIS

JIS Member
    Bronze

Okayyyy, I don't have my phone and my friend does. They are unconscious. Emergency call with a locked screen could save their life.

10. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

They will be able to make a 911 call. In the US it is law that any cellphone can initiate a 911 call, sim or no sim, locked or not.

Sent using iCafe app

11. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I think the FCC actually requires that a 911 call be routed whether a phone is a subscriber or not, but they don't specifically address the issue of locked phones. The three FCC requirements are:
    1. Route the call if it is made
    2. Transmit the device phone number and tower location
    3. Transmit the phone location accurate to 50-300 meters

12. Assumes

Assumes New Member

Being a 911 dispatcher, it's is law for all of North America for any cell phone whether they be activated or not have 911 capabilities. Depending on the type of cell used, some may or may not provide GPS coordinates. Today's cells, all have GPS features and even if you were to turn off GPS settings, we still get readings. Just FYI. :)

Sent using iCafe app

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Can you quickly and easily locate TracFone and other non-GPS cell phone call coordinates with tower triangulation? I know it isn't as precise as GPS.

Have you seen the new movie "The Call"? *Spoilers to follow*

I was just curious what your thoughts are regarding the realism with the lack of ability to locate the coordinates when a TracFone that was used to call 911 in the movie. The phone didn't have GPS, but I'm still guessing they could have easily pinpointed it to within 500 feet with tower triangulation. In the movie they had to call the TracFone carrier to obtain authorization for something before they could locate the orgin of call, and they never could obtain that. That seemed highly improbable considering the emergent circumstances.

14. Assumes

Assumes New Member

Well normally if and this is depending if a tower has the ability to populate locations, we would call the carrier to have them ping the phone. We would also get billing information as well. Believe it or not, but records are kept for years when it comes to phone numbers. It's quite interesting to see who also had the phone number lol. As for the movie.. It's TV. Can't believe everything you see but the stress involved in this job is ridiculous. We are the forgotten people because really, we are the link from you and the help you need. I love my job :) it's quite rewarding.

Sent using iCafe app

15. Assumes

Assumes New Member

Oh. And also, some older phones.. I'm talking like 10yrs old and more are what's called a phase one. Meaning, we basically get nothing. They are usually the old analog phones. To my understanding, I don't believe they are supported anymore.

Sent using iCafe app

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Thanks. I wasn't sure if calling the carrier was really necessary or if 911 operators could automatically see that info without making a carrier call. About how long does it typically take to get that information from them and how accurate are the triangulation coordinates?

17. Assumes

Assumes New Member

Seconds lol

Sent using iCafe app

18. mango44

mango44 Member
    Bronze

Wait, so why can't we save 911 in our contacts?

19. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Of course you can save it. You just can't have Siri make the call for you...

20. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1364409337.882194.jpg

See?

EDIT: Pic was full size, changed it to a thumbnail... Click to enlarge.