mango44

Bronze
Oct 29, 2012
Very nice. Yes, I was going to say as well that you can add 911 as a contact still. But Siri will not call it for you. The reason being? I'm sure it's been mentioned here, but I am thinking its a safety precaution so they don't get pranks or false calls.

Sent using iCafe app
Yeah, that's what I meant, and yeah that makes sense. Thanks.

Assumes

Aug 24, 2010
I also want to add that, when you dial 911 and hit send and hang up(this also applies to any other phone whether be cell or landline) we WILL get the call. It doesn't have to ring. The second 911 is registered in the system, were getting it. So please, if you guys misdial, best bet is to stay on the line and tell us that. The worse thing is to hang up as now you're basically telling us there is a problem. And don't think either we won't find you. We have tools ;)

Class dismissed. Lol

Sent using iCafe app

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I also want to add that, when you dial 911 and hit send and hang up(this also applies to any other phone whether be cell or landline) we WILL get the call. It doesn't have to ring. The second 911 is registered in the system, were getting it. So please, if you guys misdial, best bet is to stay on the line and tell us that. The worse thing is to hang up as now you're basically telling us there is a problem. And don't think either we won't find you. We have tools ;)

Class dismissed. Lol
Sent using iCafe app
An ex of mine misdialed & hung up. The look on her face told me something was wrong.. So I immediately called the dispatch line to our 911 center. Now seeing 99% of the people there knew me from my bazillion years in the FD I figured, No problem. Explained the reason for the abandoned 911 call and they told me PD was already dispatched. Again, No problem I thought... Officer arrives & it's someone I've known for 20+ years. "Everything alright?" He asks... From the side of his car. Hmmm why didn't he just walk up the driveway to chat with me? So as I walk down to talk with him, again he asks in a louder voice, "IS EVERYTHING OK?" Yes, she dialed 911 & hung up by mistake.... He then asks where is she? And to have her come outside.... As I see him unsnap his gun holster!
Crap just got real at this point! LOL she comes outside, explains and all was well.
This is a good example of why to NOT just hang up / abandon a 911 call ;)

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Apparently, Siri can call the emergency number in your particular region of the world now. At least, according to this article:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/07/17/siri-call-emergency-services-iphone/

As many of us know, this was not possible before. It's good to know it's there.
I saw the other day that it gives you a 5 second delay before it calls. Also I read that it can be good when you're in a dangerous situation but you don't want someone to know you're calling the police. That's good in my opinion. It makes sense.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
it can be good when you're in a dangerous situation but you don't want someone to know you're calling the police. That's good in my opinion. It makes sense.
I would think dialing with your finger would be more stealthy than verbally communicating with Siri.

...Unless you use the coded message mentioned in the article: "Siri, charge my phone to 100%!" — The stupid thief will think you're charging your phone, and, unbeknownst to him or her, Siri will alert the authorities.

However, this does give me an idea for the future: Siri could learn Sign Language in a future iOS release, and you could sign "Siri, call 911" to her via the front-facing camera.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I would think dialing with your finger would be more stealthy than verbally communicating with Siri.

...Unless you use the coded message mentioned in the article: "Siri, charge my phone to 100%!" — The stupid thief will think you're charging your phone, and, unbeknownst to him or her, Siri will alert the authorities.

However, this does give me an idea for the future: Siri could learn Sign Language in a future iOS release, and you could sign "Siri, call 911" to her via the front-facing camera.
Sign language with Siri would be amazing and interesting.