99% Battery, don't let them fool you!

Dec 11, 2007
Hey all, im from the UK so I don't know if this will apply to all.

But, when I had my White 3GS, I noticed a poor battery life, and it would only charge to 99% - When I called customer services, they told me that this was perfectly normal behaviour for the iPhone.

In the end, I spoke to a different department and they swapped the phone out for me instantly, glad I did. The new phone charges to 100% and I would say already the battery is lasting longer.

If you have an issue, however small, get it sorted before 28 days or you will have to settle for a recon.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm from the UK also, I only have a 3G. When I suffered problems like this, I left my phone plugged in via the USB cable and performed a hard reset and my problems were sold.

A hard reset is done by holding the home and power buttons at the same time until you see the Apple logo.

After doing a hard reset whilst it was plugged in, my battery read 100%

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Its best to ring your service provider imo if its broke within 28 days as I got O2 to send me a brand new one sent out next day by courier and just done a doorstep swap.

I rang Apple first about the issue to see if this warrents a replacement and the woman told me that it does and she could send me out a refurbished one but my best bet because it was within 28 days would be to ring O2 for them to send a new one out or go into the store to get them to give me a new one. In the end I had to ring them to do it and not go to the O2 store because I had bought the phone online/

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Its best to ring your service provider imo if its broke within 28 days as I got O2 to send me a brand new one sent out next day by courier and just done a doorstep swap.

I rang Apple first about the issue to see if this warrents a replacement and the woman told me that it does and she could send me out a refurbished one but my best bet because it was within 28 days would be to ring O2 for them to send a new one out or go into the store to get them to give me a new one. In the end I had to ring them to do it and not go to the O2 store because I had bought the phone online/
I think getting it replaced is a little OTT when it's a slight error over 1% battery charge.

When you perform a Hard-Reset when your iPhone's plugged in, it's part of your battery calibration process.

....so if that doesn't work then I recommend you get it exchanged.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Ah I didn't mean in my post that I got mine replaced for this issue when I said that I rang Apple first to see if this warrents a replacement I meant for the issue I was having which was not a battery one :)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Ah I didn't mean in my post that I got mine replaced for this issue when I said that I rang Apple first to see if this warrents a replacement I meant for the issue I was having which was not a battery one :)
Understood.
:eek:k:eek:k

Dec 11, 2007
I think getting it replaced is a little OTT when it's a slight error over 1% battery charge.

When you perform a Hard-Reset when your iPhone's plugged in, it's part of your battery calibration process.

....so if that doesn't work then I recommend you get it exchanged.

Lets be fair. 24 month tie in contract. I want this phone to be perfect. And now I have a new one the battery life is a lot better. And it don't get as hot as the other did.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
My white 3GS seems to get to 100% most of the time but 99% at certain times. It's not too much of an issue now but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
You can re-calibrate the battery by plugging it into iTunes and doing a hard reset and letting the battery fully charge. I've had to do it twice now, but it works.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Lets be fair. 24 month tie in contract. I want this phone to be perfect. And now I have a new one the battery life is a lot better. And it don't get as hot as the other did.
All iPhones get hot at some point.

24 month contracts would benefit some people- especially in this economic climate. At least you get the phone for free if you take a 2 year contract.

People like you forget about the price of the actual handset itself. Apple DON'T sell the phones to the carriers for a small fee. So the carriers take it out on there customers... (sh*t rolls down hill)

Dec 11, 2007
All iPhones get hot at some point.

24 month contracts would benefit some people- especially in this economic climate. At least you get the phone for free if you take a 2 year contract.

People like you forget about the price of the actual handset itself. Apple DON'T sell the phones to the carriers for a small fee. So the carriers take it out on there customers... (sh*t rolls down hill)

People like me ay?

Well lets put it this way, my new phone doesn't get hot, it charges to 100% and the battery lasts twice as long? You think im wrong for exchanging it? If you want to keep a sub standard product then you have more money than sense.! :eek:k:eek:k