$99 headphones, thanks, but no thanks

Nov 24, 2007
hey
so i needed a new pair of headphones again, so this time i thought i'd go up to future shop & get a new pair, i bought my other 2 pairs off ebay $10 each.. so i go there , they only have 1 kind & its $99.. i almost crap myself,, i even double checked at the casher and there really $99 like WOW what is future shop trying to pull that is just outrageous...

so if any of u need a nice pair of replacement headphones & live in canada.. i'd suggest ebay

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
If you're the type of person that feels that headphones are headphones, then the $10 variety off of eBay is fine.

But, those who want more than stock headphones find that it can get pretty expensive. I've bought $30 headphones which are only slightly better than stock. $100 headphones are that price for a reason. I've seen $200 headphones.

Nov 24, 2007
theses were exactly like stock but black, never would i ever pay $99 for that garbage, at most its $5 of parts ether way.. 2 little speakers, button & a wire... i just thought $99 for stock headphones, i guess i shoulda explained a little.

dieburnbot

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Yeah headphones can start getting expensive especially when you look at higher end sennheiser, grados, etc. Some models can cost 500 dollars. Then there are the electrostatic headphones which can easily approach and surpass the 1000 dollar mark. However, if future shop is charging 100 dollars for just regular headphones then I think they need to rethink their pricing.

Nutchos

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
Your mistake was walking into futureshop. Everything's gonna be marked up to all hell. You could probably get the same headphones for half the price online.

However, even $100 headphones have their place. I usually stay away from the cheap stuff ($10~) cause they never last. I just bought a Sony DR-BT50 bluetooth headset for $200 (all in) but hopefully the quality and wireless freedom is worth it (my most expensive headphone purchase thus far).

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Im not an audiophile, and I used to be fine with the headphones Apple gives us, in fact I thought they were pretty good quality. Now I hate them and am starting to hear how bad they are. I am going to try the $79 in ear headphones Apple made once they come out.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I've never been satisfied by the stock Apple headphones. The sound quality isn't terrible but they just hurt my ears as soon I put them in. I love my V-Moda Vibe Duos, they're great and at just about the $100 mark.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Apple headphones do suck. They hurt like hell, but the worst part is that they don't block out external sound. So In order to hear your music in a relatively loud environment, you've gotta crank the volume... Which is leading to major hearing loss in our generation.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Apple headphones do suck. They hurt like he'll, but the worst part is that they don't block out external sound. So I'm order to hear your music in a relatively loud environment, you've gotta crank the volume... Which is leading to major hearing loss in our generation.
You're on your iPhone, aren't you Hip? I encounter the same, awesome auto-corrections.

AOL just had an article about the dangers of using headphones while on a plane or train. Because the ambient noise is so much louder on these moving vehicles, iPod and other portable device users crank up the volume on their devices and often lead to dangerous levels of sound. I make it a point to never go about 50% on my iPod. If I can't hear it at that point then I just figure I don't need to be listening to anything.

DavidT

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Baltimore MD
hey
so i needed a new pair of headphones again, so this time i thought i'd go up to future shop & get a new pair, i bought my other 2 pairs off ebay $10 each.. so i go there , they only have 1 kind & its $99.. i almost crap myself,, i even double checked at the casher and there really $99 like WOW what is future shop trying to pull that is just outrageous...

so if any of u need a nice pair of replacement headphones & live in canada.. i'd suggest ebay
Check out the JVC Air Cushion 1/3 the price with compact case included and in blue, black, red, and or white. iPod/iPhone compatible. Model HAFX66A or B or R or W

harleygold

Bronze
Jul 26, 2008
Anderson, IN
I only use the stock headphones when I'm working. I have to be able to hear what's going on around me when I'm needed. :)

Aug 29, 2008
Only expensive headphones I ever owned were a wireless Song pair(great sound, but my move to the iPhone rendered them useless as I don't wanna buy an adapter).

If thats too much, try Ultimate Buds, mine arrived earlier today and I am really impressed.

dbarron

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not a headphone snob, but I do have a pair of Ultimate Buds UB5 that are a noticeable improvement over the stock headphones. The audio is significantly cleaner and crisper, and the noise isolation from the environment is much better. They are not as 'thumpy' with the base as some other headphones, but they respond well to EQ adjustments. (Plus, I prefer my music more balanced anyway.)

They're only about $50. If you're looking for a step up from the stock headphones, these are a great value, in my opinion.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
The Sennheiser CX300 are a huge step up from the stock earphones and they only cost me 36 bucks on Amazon. Great sound and fairly cheap.

samy

Bronze
Sep 23, 2008
California
I have small ears so the ones that come with the iPhone just kill my ears.But I love the clicky thing. I use Skull Candy ones that I like because it has several size ear inserts to fit your ear just right and has volume control. I have seen people mod their iPhone ones by removing the earpiece and replacing it with a better one.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I've never been satisfied by the stock Apple headphones. The sound quality isn't terrible but they just hurt my ears as soon I put them in. I love my V-Moda Vibe Duos, they're great and at just about the $100 mark.
Amen to that one. After about a week of wearing the Apple earphones in between my classes my ears start to hurt. Finally got brave enough to buy the vibe duos and I don't regret it for a second, mighty comfortable and the sound is great! I love the answer call button too, no more taking the phone out of my pocket.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
u guys are crazy. never would i pay over $20..
It's not crazy - audio quality matters to some people and they're willing to pay for it. If it doesn't matter to you, then you don't buy expensive headphones, as you've chosen to do. For the most part, the "you get what you pay for" concept does apply to headphones and there can be a major difference in audio quality between cheap headphones and expensive ones (you can't tell just by looking at them - it's the internal parts that matter).

I don't think I have a good enough ear to appreciate this enough (nor do I encode my music at a high-enough quality to make it worthwhile) to buy really expensive headphones, but I can tell enough to know my Etymotics blow my OEM Apple earbuds out of the water and are worth every penny of the price difference. You wouldn't expend a $5,000 Yugo to perform the same as $60,000 BMW M3, would you? The same applies to headphones.

Nov 24, 2007
It's not crazy - audio quality matters to some people and they're willing to pay for it. If it doesn't matter to you, then you don't buy expensive headphones, as you've chosen to do. For the most part, the "you get what you pay for" concept does apply to headphones and there can be a major difference in audio quality between cheap headphones and expensive ones (you can't tell just by looking at them - it's the internal parts that matter).

I don't think I have a good enough ear to appreciate this enough (nor do I encode my music at a high-enough quality to make it worthwhile) to buy really expensive headphones, but I can tell enough to know my Etymotics blow my OEM Apple earbuds out of the water and are worth every penny of the price difference. You wouldn't expend a $5,000 Yugo to perform the same as $60,000 BMW M3, would you? The same applies to headphones.
theses have great audio quality,,there like earplugs. much much better than Apples..doesn't matter how good they are, $100 is way to much..