A 3.0 Jailbreak Update from the Dev Team

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
This is from the Dev Team blog:

Update 2 (Thursday morning):

• We have two issues that we’ve been trying to resolve:

1. There are new 3.0 complications with YouTube.app if you’re on a hacktivated (unofficially activated) device
  2. There’s a bug in Apple’s new version of asr that our custom IPSW’s are tickling and causing crashes on, on some devices. (For the nerdy or curious among us, the details of that bug were tweeted by planetbeing a month ago.)

• As of Thursday morning we now have a workaround for #2. For #1, we’ll try our best to get it fixed but we may end up releasing a preliminary jailbreak in which YouTube doesn’t work for hacktivated devices, and then follow that up with a more complete jailbreak when we can.

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
Also, out of curiosity, what does it mean to "hacktivate"? Is it just activating the iPhone with another carrier?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Also, out of curiosity, what does it mean to "hacktivate"? Is it just activating the iPhone with another carrier?
I read this update this morning, yeah. And yes, hacktivate means activating (via a hack) the iPhone on a different plan other than the one it was meant to activate on. Hacktivating does not mean the same as unlocking.

cdc515

Bronze
Jun 10, 2009
What is this "HACKTIVATE" and why would i want to do it?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If you want to activate a firmware 3.0 version phone without going through iTunes or signing up for a contract. It's perfect for people that want to use the phone on another network or for people that wish to sell the phone.

Jul 24, 2007
Hey Guys,

I've hacked my iPhone numerous times but I have a quick question regarding unlocking it - I'm selling it to a friend and is it easy unlocking it like it is with Jailbreaking it?

cdc515

Bronze
Jun 10, 2009
Unlocking is easier then jailbreaking you just go to cydia download ultrasn0w and it will do the rest for you.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
What is this "HACKTIVATE" and why would i want to do it?
You're essentially activating an iPhone on a different plan from the supported provider the iPhone is locked to. It is not unlocking the iPhone. It's tricking the iPhone into activating on an unsupported plan (i.e., hacktivating a locked AT&T iPhone on a AT&T Go-Phone Sim).

You avoid messing with the bootloader.

cdc515

Bronze
Jun 10, 2009
if i hactivate my iPhone will i still have to pay the high monthly prices? i am an att customer

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
If you want to activate a firmware 3.0 version phone without going through iTunes or signing up for a contract. It's perfect for people that want to use the phone on another network or for people that wish to sell the phone.
Hacktivating won't allow you to use the iPhone on another network. You'd need to unlock it for that.

cdc515

Bronze
Jun 10, 2009
Hacktivating won't allow you to use the iPhone on another network. You'd need to unlock it for that.

Sorry to keep asking but i just don't understand the hacktivation, if i hacktivate my iPhone does that mean i don't have to pay the $30.00 a month data plan or will it decrease the amount of money i pay a month?

why would i want to use it as a go phone?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, most people would then proceed to unlock the phone to enable use on another network. I simply left that step out for the sake of simplicity.

Jul 24, 2007
Unlocking is easier then jailbreaking you just go to cydia download ultrasn0w and it will do the rest for you.
Thanks for the heads up - Now I'm just going to play the waiting game for the 3.0 Jailbreak

mrgaryth

Jun 10, 2009
Sorry to keep asking but i just don't understand the hacktivation, if i hacktivate my iPhone does that mean i don't have to pay the $30.00 a month data plan or will it decrease the amount of money i pay a month?

why would i want to use it as a go phone?
It will not alter your service plan that you use - it simply allows users to NOT be forced to activate their phone via iTunes with their respective countries iPhone supplier e.g. AT&T.

alvarezyx

Jun 18, 2009
I took the 3.0 update from Apple and of course I lost winterboard, cydia, etc from where I had previouosly ran the jailbreak program. When the 3.0 jailbreak application is available will it be on this site to grab?