A "business"/"softie" Case for under 100$

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

amq

Bronze
Jul 15, 2010
Hi all there,

with iPhone cases I have quite a history and never really a satisfying one. Either they look bad, they break or they do more harm than good.

My current one is the Griffin fake carbon one from the iPhone 4 case program and its falling apart. I want a replacement, and I want a beautiful one!

Some specs:
- I drop my phone ~1 / month from the table on the carpet; it would survive that even without a case
- I drop it ~ 1 / year on the concrete; thats where I want a case to come in
- I don't really like the rough edges of the iPhone 4, the case helps

I don't need:
- Battery packs; I charge every night
- Otterbox/Lifebox/you name it, I use my phone at home/work (desk)
- Generally bulky cases

I need:
- A case offering minimal protection with good look & feel

I was *that* close to buying this wooden case: http://www.mono-la.com/products/hacoa-iphone-4-case but then chickened out being afraid of the bulk-factor. I was also looking into the JackBack wooden backs + Apple Bumper for protection but that didn't feel better either.

I like the element vapor cases, but only the pro with full chasis which is beyond what I am willing to pay.

You see, I am desperate for your suggestions! Thanks for the help!
Andreas

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
That case you posted doesn't look very bulky. It's actually pretty nice for a wood case and I'm not usually partial to those cases.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
I have read very bad reviews on wooden cases. And being a Joiner I can guarantee you that having a piece of wood that is that thin is a bad ideas in any case. It will chip, crack and snap very easily.

White iPhone 4S 32GB.
2011 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 8GB 15".
White iPad 2 32GB.
iPod Nano 16GB 2010.

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
I'm currently using a Griffin Elan Graphite case. Has a very clean and professional look while offering decent protection. Not a lot of bulk either. http://store.griffintechnology.com/iPhone/iphone-4s/elan-form-graphite-for-iphone-4

There are also some leather sleeve cases out there that offer some protection but allow you to slip your iPhone out for use in it's naked form. This is the riskiest method of protecting but offers the user a no-case feel when using the iPhone.

amq

Bronze
Jul 15, 2010
Thanks everyone for the replies!

The meteor looks kinda nice, but its really just another Apple bumper case, isn't it?

The Griffin I really don't feel. I have a fake carbon looking quite similar to fake graphite right now and it's looking shabby. I have grown to dested it to an extent where I feel almost ashamed of its cheap looks ;-).

The tree one certainly gives the best looks for the bucks. But while I agree that it doesn't look that bulky, IE brought up a good point - will it break?

Browsing the forums I found the e13ment cases ( http://www.e13ctron.com/e13ctron-s4-aluminum-case-polished-finish-_p_14.html ); they seem kinda neat as well but people here point out that aluminium just s... shouldnt be used as protection as it doesn't flip back

Some more info I forgot: I hate sliders because I (un)plug my phone a gizillion times a day and they constantly keep flipping off

I am loving the input so far. Please keep on helping!
Andy

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Thanks everyone for the replies!

The meteor looks kinda nice, but its really just another Apple bumper case, isn't it?

The Griffin I really don't feel. I have a fake carbon looking quite similar to fake graphite right now and it's looking shabby. I have grown to dested it to an extent where I feel almost ashamed of its cheap looks ;-).

The tree one certainly gives the best looks for the bucks. But while I agree that it doesn't look that bulky, IE brought up a good point - will it break?

Browsing the forums I found the e13ment cases ( http://www.e13ctron.com/e13ctron-s4-aluminum-case-polished-finish-_p_14.html ); they seem kinda neat as well but people here point out that aluminium just s... shouldnt be used as protection as it doesn't flip back

Some more info I forgot: I hate sliders because I (un)plug my phone a gizillion times a day and they constantly keep flipping off

I am loving the input so far. Please keep on helping!
Andy
Wood is not at it's strongest point when it just a couple of mm thick. It will break so easily. I guarantee it.

White iPhone 4S 32GB.
2011 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 8GB 15".
White iPad 2 32GB.
iPod Nano 16GB 2010.

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

Bumbelina

Dec 10, 2011
I used the IvySkin Quattro with my iPhone 3G and it was amazing. I love the fact that the screen cover was made of glass and truly protected my screen! The case itself was easy to slide on and extremely durable...this is very important as my friends call me the "Dropper". The case was also very sleek and very smooth to touch. I liked it so much that I have ordered another for my new iPhone 4s. You can also purchase battery extenders. I've included the link below.

http://www.ivyskin.com/iphone-4-case/quattro4-case.htm

amq

Bronze
Jul 15, 2010
After 2 months of use I can absolutely confirm @Illusions opinion about wood. The case broke in multiple places already without every having been seriously dropped.

I'm tired of looking for cases for my iPhone 4 and really hope they make the iP5 with a metal back and better glass...

Now I guess I'll go for a cheapo something that looks at least not retarded :-/

@Bumbelina: You suggested all things that I really don't need: I don't need "durable", and I don't need "battery"