A Christmas Present?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
True, 1.1.3 was 'assumed' two times.

I don't expect anything until after MacWorld either. What with having nothing to post from but my iPhone for the next few days, and update right now would not be good for me.

- John

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
True, 1.1.3 was 'assumed' two times.

I don't expect anything until after MacWorld either. What with having nothing to post from but my iPhone for the next few days, and update right now would not be good for me.

- John

That is true, but even if an date came, you would still have to wait to see the ramification it has on a jailbroken, so we would still have to wait and see.

lefooey

Sep 28, 2007
I'm sure Apple has a shed-load ready to release. We'll get one small one every time the phone is compromised as an excuse for releasing the fix.
I am, at this point, not so convinced we'll see any of the hugely demanded changes for the iPhone v1 (cut-and-paste et all). Perhaps these will come from third parties via the SDK, but since that seems to be (and properly so) a sandbox design, I doubt they'll be able to effect the functionality of mail.app and Safari directly.

Sad, really - I'm happy with what I have but saw the potential for more. Realistically the only major update we've seen so far added the ability to buy iTunes songs over WiFi, preferably at a Starbucks in one of 3 markets. That's nice, but I don't live in one of those markets (and my market will probably never get it) and if I've got WiFi I can depend on I'm at my house - in which case I can open up iTunes and download music just fine already, thanks! If we'd gotten the ability to update RSS feeds (Podcasts) via WiFi (or EDGE) I'd have loved the update (hey, Apple, even the PSP can do that one!) but that wasn't what the marketing side of Apple saw as useful.

Don't get me wrong - the "web in your pocket" has really changed the face of mobile browsing, but I don't expect more innovation directly from Apple for this generation of iPhone. It's really no different than the iPods that came before it. Huge upgrades like "Hey, we've got games now!" meant "Okay, we've got a few games - you know - 10 or 12 - but they only work with the newest iPods and no there won't be an update for older ones to use them."

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I am, at this point, not so convinced we'll see any of the hugely demanded changes for the iPhone v1 (cut-and-paste et all). Perhaps these will come from third parties via the SDK, but since that seems to be (and properly so) a sandbox design, I doubt they'll be able to effect the functionality of mail.app and Safari directly.

Sad, really - I'm happy with what I have but saw the potential for more. Realistically the only major update we've seen so far added the ability to buy iTunes songs over WiFi, preferably at a Starbucks in one of 3 markets. That's nice, but I don't live in one of those markets (and my market will probably never get it) and if I've got WiFi I can depend on I'm at my house - in which case I can open up iTunes and download music just fine already, thanks! If we'd gotten the ability to update RSS feeds (Podcasts) via WiFi (or EDGE) I'd have loved the update (hey, Apple, even the PSP can do that one!) but that wasn't what the marketing side of Apple saw as useful.

Don't get me wrong - the "web in your pocket" has really changed the face of mobile browsing, but I don't expect more innovation directly from Apple for this generation of iPhone. It's really no different than the iPods that came before it. Huge upgrades like "Hey, we've got games now!" meant "Okay, we've got a few games - you know - 10 or 12 - but they only work with the newest iPods and no there won't be an update for older ones to use them."

I do believe you are right. Very well said.