A closer look at our only available view of the bottom...

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Ok so as far as I know, there is only one view we have ever gotten of the bottom angle of the iPhone 3G and it was during Jobs' keynote. Here is a snapshot:

iPhone_3G_bottom.JPG

It is at this moment that Jobs mentioned how the new iPhone has "improved audio, dramatically improved audio". Many have speculated that this is referring to the quality of the iPod music in the headset. But, based on the fact that Jobs says this while viewing the bottom part of the phone, I theororize that he is referring to the speaker phone. And if this is true, FINALLY! The quiet horrible speakerphone on the iPhone has always been one of its worst qualities, if not THE worst.

Also, do you see those phillips head screws in there? What could those possibly be for? And the mic and speaker look very different than the current iPhone. Instead of the holes, it looks more like the metal fencing type speaker you see for the ear speaker on the old version.

Finally I want to mention how, although the bottom is rounded, it looks like it sort of straightens out for a couple inches from this angle. This means it will probably not rock so bad on tables, which is a huge relief for me.

EDIT: The guided tour gave us a better view. The screws are so visible!

iPhone_Bottom.JPG

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Ok so as far as I know, there is only one view we have ever gotten of the bottom angle of the iPhone 3G and it was during Jobs' keynote. Here is a snapshot:

It is at this moment that Jobs mentioned how the new iPhone has "improved audio, dramatically improved audio". Many have speculated that this is referring to the quality of the iPod music in the headset. But, based on the fact that Jobs says this while viewing the bottom part of the phone, I theororize that he is referring to the speaker phone. And if this is true, FINALLY! The quiet horrible speakerphone on the iPhone has always been one of its worst qualities, if not THE worst.

Also, do you see those phillips head screws in there? What could those possibly be for? And the mic and speaker look very different than the current iPhone. Instead of the holes, it looks more like the metal fencing type speaker you see for the ear speaker on the old version.

Finally I want to mention how, although the bottom is rounded, it looks like it sort of straightens out for a couple inches from this angle. This means it will probably not rock so bad on tables, which is a huge relief for me.
I actually think the sound on the Treo 650, 680 and 750 was worse than on (my) iPhone. My iPhone speakerphone volume is nice for me. The phillips head screws are probably for holding the phone back onto the front. There is no more the small black piece that slides off. Now the backing is one piece and will need screws like on the macbooks and macbook pros to remove. And regarding the rocking of the phone when on a flat surface: I don't think this is going to happen at all. I am sure Apple spent a lot of $ researching the design of the phone and would not want executives that they hope to buy the phone and use it to have rocking phones in the conference rooms around the world. Plus, to me the design of the iPhone 3G (the back) looks a lot like the bottom of the MacBook Air (the curvature).

Last edited by a moderator:

hac

Jun 27, 2008

Thanks for your analysis. It looks like we may be getting some new improvements that I hadn't thought of.

Last edited by a moderator:

boldblend

Bronze
Dec 27, 2007
I have never seen an ipod product with visible screws

hac

Jun 27, 2008
I have never seen an ipod product with visible screws
That could be quite exciting for hardware hackers. There might not be a need to pry it apart anymore. :)

boldblend

Bronze
Dec 27, 2007
is the image not accurate on Apple's website? the pic doesn't show any screws. not trying to split hairs, just wondering.

May 6, 2007
United States
I personally think that the screws are a mistake in that picture, and maybe they will not be evident. I think it looks much more streamlined and sleek without screws, but that's just me.

boldblend

Bronze
Dec 27, 2007
I personally think that the screws are a mistake in that picture, and maybe they will not be evident. I think it looks much more streamlined and sleek without screws, but that's just me.
I guess that's all I'm saying. ipod's have always been known for their very streamlined and sleek design, I would find it very surprising to actually see screw heads on the new one

May 6, 2007
United States
After checking Apple's website, I notice that the screws do seem to be there, but they are sunk into the bottom of the iPhone. Look here and let me know what you think.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
After checking Apple's website, I notice that the screws do seem to be there, but they are sunk into the bottom of the iPhone. Look here and let me know what you think.
They do look sunk in on the Apple site, which is good. And I agree with the OP, the bottom does look to flatten out and the speaker is different.

boldblend

Bronze
Dec 27, 2007
ah! I see now. I thought the pic in this thread was the side of the iPhone, whereas now I see it is the bottom where the connector goes. Yes now I do see what you are talking about and I see what appears to be screws that are recessed

May 6, 2007
United States
ah! I see now. I thought the pic in this thread was the side of the iPhone, whereas now I see it is the bottom where the connector goes. Yes now I do see what you are talking about and I see what appears to be screws that are recessed
Yes, that is the word I was looking for. I think it is better that they are recessed, but I still feel personally that it's just a little bit of a cheaper look than streamlining the bottom of the phone.

I don't mean to say it's cheap, and it's hard to explain, it's just a little bit different, but I am sure it will still be great.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
That's great. The screws are recessed and the headphone jack is not. :p

And, obviously, whomever was spreading the dreadful rumor that the curved 3G body was going to have your iPhone rocking back and forth obviously had no idea what they were talking about. It's only tapered near the edges. The back is still FLAT.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's only tapered near the edges. The back is still FLAT.

While this may be true, touching close to the edges may put you into "taper territory" which may cause it to rock despite the flat area. No one knows till we see it.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I agree that the screw might be a mistake - they aren't usually evident on Apple products. Also, I figured at least part of the back would be straight, so it wouldn't rock - that would get quite annoying.

- John

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
While this may be true, touching close to the edges may put you into "taper territory" which may cause it to rock despite the flat area. No one knows till we see it.
I was just using my iPhone on a table kind of testing how it works. As I play with it I realize that with Multitouch you barely have to touch the phone at all. It's not like hitting buttons, it's like lightly touching the screen. So, even if you ventured into the "taper territory" as you call it, I think the lightness of your touching won't make it rock.

I honestly can't imagine Apple making such a huge blunder. I think it's gonna work out!

Atlas

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
Could the screws possibly be for end user battery replacement?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I added a better view of the bottom to the OP. Here it is:

iPhone_Bottom.JPG

The screws are ever so visible. I really wonder what they are there for...