A couple of questions about iPhone

Jun 30, 2008
Hello!

I am in the market for an iPhone. However, I am switching from Verizon to T-Mobile so I am going to go the unlocking route. I have a few questions though... do you think it is going to be possible to unlock a new iPhone 3G? I don't see how if you can't buy the phone without a plan from AT&T at the store or paying an early termination fee.

Other questions about the older iPhone. Is my best bet to get one through eBay? I am not happy with the prices I have found on there so far. Close to 400 bucks for 8 GB iPhones used. Whats the cheapest place to find one? I will buy one retail new if they are available but I thought they have been sold out for a bit.

Thanks for any help!

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Welcome to the forum.

You cant buy an iPhone from them without a plan from AT&T because in order to buy it, you have to activate it in the store. If you buy the phone and plan on canceling your service within 30 days of service with them, you are forced to return the phone.

Yes, your best bet is to get it through eBay. You can also check places like craigslist and things like that.
Also, you wont be able to buy it new because they are not being made anymore.
Hope I answered your questions :)

Jun 30, 2008
Alright, I figured as much. Craigslist may be a good alternative though. Thanks!

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Alright, I figured as much. Craigslist may be a good alternative though. Thanks!
No problem, and from personal experience with Craigslist, make sure that the only deals you do are in person.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Hello!

I am in the market for an iPhone. However, I am switching from Verizon to T-Mobile so I am going to go the unlocking route. I have a few questions though... do you think it is going to be possible to unlock a new iPhone 3G? I don't see how if you can't buy the phone without a plan from AT&T at the store or paying an early termination fee.

Other questions about the older iPhone. Is my best bet to get one through eBay? I am not happy with the prices I have found on there so far. Close to 400 bucks for 8 GB iPhones used. Whats the cheapest place to find one? I will buy one retail new if they are available but I thought they have been sold out for a bit.

Thanks for any help!
Yeah Saverino is definitely correct in what he's saying you should also know that even if the iPhone 3G were to be unlocked you couldnt take it to T-mobile or any other carriers cause they use different frequencies :(
-So you'd be only unlocking it to either Jailbreak it or to just say you had an unlocked phone:)

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Yeah Saverino is definitely correct in what he's saying you should also know that even if the iPhone 3G were to be unlocked you couldnt take it to T-mobile or any other carriers cause they use different frequencies :(
-So you'd be only unlocking it to either Jailbreak it or to just say you had an unlocked phone:)
Well, if he brought it over to T-Mobile or something, wouldn't it still be able to work? Just only on EDGE?

yakob89

Bronze
Apr 16, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
Ok so this is a great thread because I just bought an iPhone v.1 off ebay and I am also going to put it on T-Mobile. I have a question though. Since its already unlocked do I need to download the ziPhone program before hooking it up to my computer so that it will work with my iTunes? Oh and i agree with colstiger I found a seller on ebay I didn't even bid I made him an offer for a brand new 16gb for $400. I also noticed that they are still going for quite a bit on ebay. Good luck on getting your iPhone!:)

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
its new harware so it might be a little harder to unlock. go to iPhonegeek.com

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Ok so this is a great thread because I just bought an iPhone v.1 off ebay and I am also going to put it on T-Mobile. I have a question though. Since its already unlocked do I need to download the ziPhone program before hooking it up to my computer so that it will work with my iTunes? Oh and i agree with colstiger I found a seller on ebay I didn't even bid I made him an offer for a brand new 16gb for $400. I also noticed that they are still going for quite a bit on ebay. Good luck on getting your iPhone!:)
IF it is already unlocked, you should just be able to slide in an active T-Mobile sim card.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston

The iPhone 3G uses the same frequences as v1, only with HDSPA as an add-on, for those places without 3G coverage.

good day.