A couple of things with the Skype application

manu08

Jul 23, 2009
I recently picked up the iPhone 3GS, 16GB white version. While the best thing about the phone is it's OS, it is also it's worst thing; if you know what I mean. Apple should allow more freedom on customizing the device without the need to jailbreak it, but I guess that's just the way Apple does their thing.

Getting to my actual questions..
I've jailbroken + unlocked my iPhone. I've downloaded the latest Skype application [1.1.0.91] & along with that I've downloaded backgrounder to allow Skype to run in the background. Now this is great, I can finally run Skype in the background, but there are a couple of things about it that bother me & I was hoping I might be able to get some help/solutions here.

There is no way to know that Skype is actually running in the background than to actually enter the application & see that you are still signed in. This to be honest is not the most convenient way to check it. It would be a lot better/easier if there was little icon on the top status bar, maybe next to the battery indicator, maybe next to the carrier name, positioning doesn't really matter. Just the way it is displayed on a mac osx computer there should be some indication of Skype running on the top bar. Any way to achieve that?

Secondly, when you receive a call in Skype & Skype is running in the background your phone will vibrate & ring but there will be no 'alert' on the display telling you that you are receiving a call in Skype. The only way to answer/reject the call is to enter the Skype application & then access it. This again is very inconvenient.
When you receive a normal call to your cell phone number, the entire display is taken over by the incoming call alert so it shows you two options 'answer call' or 'reject call'. If the screen is locked it will give you the option to 'slide to answer'. Is there any way to achieve this with the incoming calls in Skype as well? Or even something similar?

I'm sure there is no 'default' way of doing this but maybe some sort of 'hack' or 'mod' that could achieve similar functionality?

Appreciate any help or ideas as to how this could work.

Thanks

guest03

Bronze
Mar 30, 2009
There is no way to know that Skype is actually running in the background than to actually enter the application & see that you are still signed in. This to be honest is not the most convenient way to check it. It would be a lot better/easier if there was little icon on the top status bar, maybe next to the battery indicator, maybe next to the carrier name, positioning doesn't really matter. Just the way it is displayed on a mac osx computer there should be some indication of Skype running on the top bar. Any way to achieve that?
I know there is really no way yet to tell without going thro a couple steps.. One thing i use is SBSettings, and go into the kill processes... It will show you everything that is open.. Basically SBSettings allows you to swipe your finger across the top bar to bring up the menu and then clicking on the Kill Processes button..

As with your other question, because there is not a push service for backgrounder, there is no way for that app to be "pushed" to the front of everything else you are doing.. but it is def. a great idea for something to be worked on..

The issue i find with skype is that you have to wait for the call to actually be connected before the screen goes black..